What Enrollment numbers are used to place teams in a Class?

Looking at recently release numbers on enrollment.

https://www.in.gov/doe/it/data-center-and-reports/

Whiteland's Enrollment  is under 2,000

• Corporation Enrollment by Grade Level - (Updated - SY 2022-2023)
  • It states we have 1,868 student 9-12. Will this drop Whiteland back down to 3A?
  • What numbers are used to establish an enrollment at a high school?
  • When do they pull those numbers to figure out where to place a High School in a division? First month of the school year? 

6 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

Looking at recently release numbers on enrollment.

https://www.in.gov/doe/it/data-center-and-reports/

Whiteland's Enrollment  is under 2,000

• Corporation Enrollment by Grade Level - (Updated - SY 2022-2023)
  • It states we have 1,868 student 9-12. Will this drop Whiteland back down to 3A?
  • What numbers are used to establish an enrollment at a high school?
  • When do they pull those numbers to figure out where to place a High School in a division? First month of the school year? 

I fully understand that most believe JD Minch and the IHSWCA are a bunch of wizards. I have even heard rumors that Greg Ratliff and Danny Struck are potential wizards, but have never received full confirmation. Due to that, they have not utilized the ability to see into the future(or at least for the sake of school enrollment figures).

Thus, it would appear they utilized the 2022 numbers which showed the following for Clark-Pleasant Community School Corporation, which is the district in which Whiteland Community High School resides.

https://www.in.gov/doe/it/data-center-and-reports/data-reports-archive/

Corp Name Grade 9 Grade 10 Grade 11 Grade 12
Clark-Pleasant Community Sch Corp 523 508 482 499

If you use a calculator it seems to add up to 2012 students.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I fully understand that most believe JD Minch and the IHSWCA are a bunch of wizards. I have even heard rumors that Greg Ratliff and Danny Struck are potential wizards, but have never received full confirmation. Due to that, they have not utilized the ability to see into the future(or at least for the sake of school enrollment figures).

Thus, it would appear they utilized the 2022 numbers which showed the following for Clark-Pleasant Community School Corporation, which is the district in which Whiteland Community High School resides.

https://www.in.gov/doe/it/data-center-and-reports/data-reports-archive/

Corp Name Grade 9 Grade 10 Grade 11 Grade 12
Clark-Pleasant Community Sch Corp 523 508 482 499

If you use a calculator it seems to add up to 2012 students.

So last years numbers are used for this years so next years numbers will put Whiteland back at in 3A?

So this has them bouncing back and forth. So a Head coach does not know where the matches that best serve them for team state votes.

I think it just makes more sense to realign every few years(like football) as opposed to yearly. That way we don't have to worry about who has a magic ball.

OR

Maybe waiting until after the holiday tournaments results are in and the release of these enrollment numbers to properly align them. I think it is a 2 week difference?

Some teams fall off and some get really good, really quick. Some teams don't even have duals but do a lot of individual tourneys and you cant gauge a team in MPO that way. Because you make different decisions in a dual vs. a singles competition. 

I understand that this is currently a problem as time constraints because the season starts in November and working on logistics of teams needing to switch around their schedule. But a team already does this in all 4 classes. 

Additional food for thought

I saw someone post that maybe pushing the season back past the holiday was an interesting take. Pretty sure that it is impossible, but maybe 2 weeks to let football get finished. I am sure that is another issue with BASKETBALL.

BB sectionals start a month later.

STATE SERIES 

Wrestling Finals Jan 13 - Feb 18, 2023

Basketball Feb 19 - Mar 25, 2023

also their season Starts November 25th or something.

10 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

So last years numbers are used for this years so next years numbers will put Whiteland back at in 3A?

So this has them bouncing back and forth. So a Head coach does not know where the matches that best serve them for team state votes.

I think it just makes more sense to realign every few years(like football) as opposed to yearly. That way we don't have to worry about who has a magic ball.

OR

Maybe waiting until after the holiday tournaments results are in and the release of these enrollment numbers to properly align them. I think it is a 2 week difference?

Some teams fall off and some get really good, really quick. Some teams don't even have duals but do a lot of individual tourneys and you cant gauge a team in MPO that way. Because you make different decisions in a dual vs. a singles competition. 

I understand that this is currently a problem as time constraints because the season starts in November and working on logistics of teams needing to switch around their schedule. But a team already does this in all 4 classes. 

Additional food for thought

I saw someone post that maybe pushing the season back past the holiday was an interesting take. Pretty sure that it is impossible, but maybe 2 weeks to let football get finished. I am sure that is another issue with BASKETBALL.

BB sectionals start a month later.

STATE SERIES 

Wrestling Finals Jan 13 - Feb 18, 2023

Basketball Feb 19 - Mar 25, 2023

also their season Starts November 25th or something.

Head Coaches knew back in January/February what class they would be in for the 2022-23 season. That gave coaches 9 months to figure out a schedule that best serves their team. 

Basketball starts one week after wrestling. Every sport and school are in the same dilemma when they have a good football team with a deep playoff run. 

Here we go again

7 minutes ago, buttler73 said:

Yes that is how every other classification is done in the state. The IHSWCA can't eagerly await the DOE's numbers every year to do classifications and everything 5 days before the event. That is not even close to feasible.

Teams on the bubble of classifications always bounce back and forth. That is a drawback of a classed system. 

Coaches should seek out the best competition, period. I doubt Columbus East cares what class the teams they schedule are. They care about good competition. Competing against good competition will get you recognition no matter the class.

The classifications change each year due to the teams that field less that 7 wrestlers being taken out of the equation for point calculations. I'm sure you will have a great rant about that too.

OR

No way 40+ teams in the state are going to wait and see where their classification lies and if they get an invite 5 days before the event. Per usual you are insanely unreasonable with this. Teams have their own events scheduled and some even host events. It would be highly unreasonable for a team to get an invite and shut down their event 5 days out.

Sure

One team per class, that's four teams. There are about 10 across the state that understand they have a shot at the vote-in spots and have contingency plans in place. When you increase that to 50+ teams it starts to put a strain on AD's that already do the bare minimum for the sport.

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Can we an have an emergency IHSWCA  meeting to add a 3.5A division to this years team state so this issue can be remedied. Team eligibility being based on school who were once above 2000 but have recently fell below it during the course of the current school year.  

This sounds like a great start! Now please just just make sure to have 12 teams in the 3.5A division! 😉

Maybe we could divide the total number of teams that have wrestling programs by 2, have that number of classes then wrestle a weeknight dual to determine the state champion for each respective class. Would be way better. We could have so many more state champions and everyone else is a runner up. 

I'm kidding of course. 

6 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Will they go to 5 classes in the future? Mirror how football used to be before creating 6A? It would be nice if the other sports went to 5 classes as well.

Basketball & baseball could definitely go 6 classes to make it smoother with 67 or so teams in each class. Be curious how many wrestling squads can fill at least 8 weight classes and go from there. It'd be cool to have 6 classes for an individual tournament as long as we'd keep the single class individual tournament at the end of the year. Wishful thinking there though!

To be clear...we use the IHSAA's published numbers that are released every other year. So this will be year 2 of using the numbers released early last year. As explained by others, because we only classify teams with at least 7 on sectional day; it's likely that a few schools right on class lines last year will end up moving up or down.

44 minutes ago, mdtodd said:

Sorry just catching up to classes. What are the actual enrollment numbers to distinguish classes for wrestling? 

1a<?

2a between x - y? 
etc. 

The system divides up the classes based on enrollment of the teams that field 7+ at sectionals. It changes slightly every year.