Indiana's Most Dominant Big Man, EVER?

navy80

Is Mason Parris the most dominate BIG MAN ever?  He is only a junior, but has been an unstoppable force.  The only two 220 pounders who can likely hang with him this year are Clayton Scroggs (SQ as a soph, and 5th as a junior) and Gunner Larson (SQ as a freshman, 5th as a soph, and 2nd as a junior).  Everyone else likely gets tech falled or pinned. 

I think Mason surpasses former big men such as Dexter Larimore, Wesley Bernard, Fletcher Miller, Chris Kasten, Chico Adams, Adam Chalfant, 

Elite Studs Indiana has produced include the following, (215/220/HWT)

Jake Obrien 3X state champ at 215lbs.  Gelen Robinson 2X state champ at 215lbs, Anton Talamantes 2nd, 1stat 215lbs and 1st at 189lbs.

Gelen won state 7-2 and 9-3. 

Talamantes lost state 2-4, won state 7-4 and by pin.

Obrien won state 9-6, 8-5, and 11-4

Obrien went on to fight in the UFC, Gelen will likely play in the NFL, and I am not sure about Talamantes.

As a freshman, Parris won the 182lb New Castle Semi-State with wins over

Kaiser, Ind. Ritter 31-7 W PIN

Steward, Cathedral 16-3 W 3-1

James Roncalli 44-1 W PIN

Morales, WEBO 39-5 W 7-3

STATE FINALS

Jake Kleimola, 34-7, Lake Central WIN 18-5 (Jake won state the next year)

Kyle Shaffer, 41-3, South Putnam WIN PIN (Kyle will place top 3 this year)

Chase Osborn, 39-0, Penn, LOST 10-11 (Osburn won state)

Gage Garpow, 39-5, Winamac, WON 11-10

I think some people, including myself who didn’t know much about Parris, thought he wrestled a weak schedule from a small school.  He went on to finish 54 wins and 1 loss his freshman year.  When he “upset” Conner James of Roncalli, is when the whole state took notice!  Then, he lost by one point in the state semi finals to the eventual and undefeated state champion.

As a sophomore, Parris walked through semi state at 220!  His wins were, Pin 0:36 seconds, PIN 1:33, Tech Fall against the guy who finished 6th, and Pin 0:21 seconds against the guy who finished 4th!

At the state finals, Nick Lee and Chad Red got all the attention, but a loaded 220 weight was just as good! 

All four semi state champions were undefeated, one was a returning state champion, and a few nationally ranked kids in the weight.

Parris wins his first match against Yorktown’s Pier (34-13) by pin in 1:22.  He beat a very tough and strong Dristin MCubbins from Monrovia (37-7) by fall at 3:08. Parris faced an undefeated Evan Ellis who was 44-0 at the time, and pinned him in 5:20.  In the finals Parris met up with Gunner Larson from Avon who was 42-0 at the time, and won by major decision, 13-4.

By his dominant wins, is he the best big man Indiana has seen?  And he still has one more year left. Thoughts?

I think Gunnar would be a two-time state champion if it wasn't for Mason...

From spring of 2016

220 - Evan Ellis (Indiana Gorillas) over Gunnar Larson (Indiana Blue) Dec 7-3

From spring of 2015

1st Place Match: Evan Ellis (Greentown Wrestling Club) over Gunnar Larson (Avon Wrestling Club) (Dec 3-1) 

Championship

Chad Ruggeri (37-0), Mount Vernon (12) def. Dexter Larimore (49-3), Merrillville (10), Fall, 1:10.

In case anyone needs proof .....

Yeah I remember Ruggeri, DIdn't he pin his way through the state finals, and all year?  I didn't add him to the list because he was a 1 timer...

Yeah I remember Ruggeri, DIdn't he pin his way through the state finals, and all year?  I didn't add him to the list because he was a 1 timer...

yeah, definitely not the most dominant career but 1 year run he absolutely pounded

First Round

Chad Ruggeri (34-0), Mount Vernon (12) vs. Justin Bischoff (25-13), Franklin County (12), Fall, :46.

Quarterfinals

Chad Ruggeri (35-0), Mount Vernon (12) def. Joshua Turner (39-6), Hammond Morton (12), Fall, 1:14.

Semifinals

Chad Ruggeri (36-0), Mount Vernon (12) def. David Benner (45-2), Benton Central (12), Technical Fall, 5:08 (17-1).

From spring of 2016

From spring of 2015

1st Place Match: Evan Ellis (Greentown Wrestling Club) over Gunnar Larson (Avon Wrestling Club) (Dec 3-1) 

So Larson being a two timer isn't a LOCK....

Is Mason Parris the most dominate BIG MAN ever?  He is only a junior, but has been an unstoppable force.  The only two 220 pounders who can likely hang with him this year are Clayton Scroggs (SQ as a soph, and 5th as a junior) and Gunner Larson (SQ as a freshman, 5th as a soph, and 2nd as a junior).  Everyone else likely gets tech falled or pinned. 

I think Mason surpasses former big men such as Dexter Larimore, Wesley Bernard, Fletcher Miller, Chris Kasten, Chico Adams, Adam Chalfant, 

Elite Studs Indiana has produced include the following, (215/220/HWT)

Jake Obrien 3X state champ at 215lbs.  Gelen Robinson 2X state champ at 215lbs, Anton Talamantes 2nd, 1stat 215lbs and 1st at 189lbs.

Gelen won state 7-2 and 9-3. 

Talamantes lost state 2-4, won state 7-4 and by pin.

Obrien won state 9-6, 8-5, and 11-4

Obrien went on to fight in the UFC, Gelen will likely play in the NFL, and I am not sure about Talamantes.

As a freshman, Parris won the 182lb New Castle Semi-State with wins over

Kaiser, Ind. Ritter 31-7 W PIN

Steward, Cathedral 16-3 W 3-1

James Roncalli 44-1 W PIN

Morales, WEBO 39-5 W 7-3

STATE FINALS

Jake Kleimola, 34-7, Lake Central WIN 18-5 (Jake won state the next year)

Kyle Shaffer, 41-3, South Putnam WIN PIN (Kyle will place top 3 this year)

Chase Osborn, 39-0, Penn, LOST 10-11 (Osburn won state)

Gage Garpow, 39-5, Winamac, WON 11-10

I think some people, including myself who didn’t know much about Parris, thought he wrestled a weak schedule from a small school.  He went on to finish 54 wins and 1 loss his freshman year.  When he “upset” Conner James of Roncalli, is when the whole state took notice!  Then, he lost by one point in the state semi finals to the eventual and undefeated state champion.

As a sophomore, Parris walked through semi state at 220!  His wins were, Pin 0:36 seconds, PIN 1:33, Tech Fall against the guy who finished 6th, and Pin 0:21 seconds against the guy who finished 4th!

At the state finals, Nick Lee and Chad Red got all the attention, but a loaded 220 weight was just as good! 

All four semi state champions were undefeated, one was a returning state champion, and a few nationally ranked kids in the weight.

Parris wins his first match against Yorktown’s Pier (34-13) by pin in 1:22.  He beat a very tough and strong Dristin MCubbins from Monrovia (37-7) by fall at 3:08. Parris faced an undefeated Evan Ellis who was 44-0 at the time, and pinned him in 5:20.  In the finals Parris met up with Gunner Larson from Avon who was 42-0 at the time, and won by major decision, 13-4.

By his dominant wins, is he the best big man Indiana has seen?  And he still has one more year left. Thoughts?

Kids, this is NOT the way to fly under the radar...

Edited by Jimtown 138

I'm obviously partial to Gelen being the best. I know history will show he is a 2 time champ, with a 3rd place finish, anyone who witnessed his semi-final loss to Kral could argue he could easily be a 3 time champion if not for a compelling argument from Coach Vlink and the lack of a lumbar vertebrate from the gentlemen in black and white, but I digress. The 7-2 and 9-3 scores are not really indicative of the actual matches either.  Fletcher Miller had a good game plan in my opinion, trying to keep the score low and hope for an error to capitalize on because he wasn't out wrestling Gelen. This defensive style didn't allow Gelen to open up, thus keeping the scores relatively low. During his 3 year run at state, I believe Gelen only gave up 2 TD, one in the match with Kral which was on a lat drop attempt that went bad and then to the Faulkenburg kid. Gelen also didn't start wrestling until 7th grade, so his learning curve was expedited and really showed how much of a freak athlete he was.  Mason is an awesome wrestler in his own right, I'd hate to speculate who'd win between the two because I'd obviously be choosing with my heart and not my head. 

I agree Gelen is one of, if not the best we have seen.  I think Mason is more dominant and would love to see a fantasy matchup between them.

This kids, is NOT the way to fly under the radar...

???  

James "Bubba" Dickerson pinned his way through the state tournament his junior season. He died before his senior year, but man, that guy was a freak of nature.

I've never heard the story on him...can you elaborate?

From spring of 2016

From spring of 2015

Notice you did not include Gunnar beating Evan at the State Tournament when it counted. At Wabash Gunnar should not have wrested. I practice before the tournament. Was shut down for 30 days. It is surprising that you would not include a match that Gunnar beat Evan in. Gunnar was healthy for the 3-1 loss. Maybe you could edit your post. It was at 220 in the State Tournament.

So Larson being a two timer isn't a LOCK....

Gunnar beat Evan at the State Tournament. 

Notice you did not include Gunnar beating Evan at the State Tournament when it counted. At Wabash Gunnar should not have wrested. I practice before the tournament. Was shut down for 30 days. It is surprising that you would not include a match that Gunnar beat Evan in. Gunnar was healthy for the 3-1 loss. Maybe you could edit your post. It was at 220 in the State Tournament.

So Larson beating Ellis once in second set of OT makes him a lock? Edited by Thor

So he's healthy enough to wrestle Cohlton Schultz to a 3-2 match, but not healthy enough to beat Evan Ellis? 

Ruggeri's performance IMO is one of the most impressive and dominant state finals performances I've seen.

1st round: Fall :46

2nd round: Fall 1:14

Semi-Finals: Tech Fall 17-1

Finals: Fall 1:10

If my memory serves correct, Ruggeri also had a distinct height and size disadvantage?

So he's healthy enough to wrestle Cohlton Schultz to a 3-2 match, but not healthy enough to beat Evan Ellis? 

Gunnar lost multiple times in that tournament. He should not have wrestled. You spin it any way you want. Let the record show you that you miss lead everyone by not including a State Tournament win. Seem like the norm for an Avon kid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.