Dodging matches

KoontzDaddy

Okay, so I'm wondering what other coaches, fans, wrestlers, etc. think of this cause I'm a little frustrated. We have now had 2 dual meets in which the team we are wrestling dodges one of our wrestlers and actually removes kids from the lineup to avoid wrestling our 160 lber. I literally watched a coach hold his 160 lber back and wait to see who we sent to the score table, then gave us the forfeit, then bumped his 60 to 70 and bumped their 70 from the lineup. I should preface this by saying that the team we were wrestling has beaten us soundly twice before this so it wasn't like there was a real strategy where saving one point would mean the difference. The frustrating part is it is senior night and we've got family, friends, and many of the students there to celebrate a pretty successful wrestler that has meant a lot to our program. To me, it looked like a sissy move. I understand strategy and best case scenario is that he saves a couple points, but again, they have dominated us in the last 2 duals. What happened to you lineup your team against my team and we will go at it?

Frustrated on senior night.

We have seen the same thing. I can see the point sometimes but other times it is very frustrating for the wrestler receiving the forfeit and it is hurting him in the long run. I get if they don't want to send out a beginner guy but we have seen it from good opponents where both wrestlers would have benefitted from a good match. In many cases, the outcome of the dual was already decided so it was not for strategic scoring reasons.

It really sucks that it happened to your wrestler on senior night :-(

I think once a kid steps on the scales, that's it, done deal!!!! Had they weighed in more than one 160#, they should put someone out there. Any thoughts on the increase of these incidents being related to padding for the hopes of a Team State invite? Just a thought.

I think that is happened more offend that not do to holding out for individual seeds in the conference or sectionals, not for teams really. Because a forfeit at the weight class is the same as a pin at the weight class. I know it stinks when coaches do these things, but one thing to take from it is your 160 lb is a stud. I have seen it way to often here down south. I am sorry it happened, but no it will not be an advantage team wise to give the forfeit cause the best that the 160 lb that bump could do is cancel out that forfeit. 

Its not the responciblity of the opposing coach to give you the match up you think you should get. You know your wrestlers and he knows his. Maybe there is something that the coach knows or thinks about HIS team. My oppinion only, but I worry about my wrestlers/team only. When you run my practice then you can decide who goes out to the mat at what weight. When a team "dodges" my stud wrestler, we take it as the highest form of respect for that wrestler you just gave 6 team points.

As a Coach you have to do everything you can to fight for your kid... if that means he sits a meet for a section conference seed then you do it... Its not about the other kids family or friends... its about protecting your kids.. I've seen many coaches do it and does it suck when your on the other side of it... YES, but if i was in the same position i would do it also... is it dodging matches??some say it is... but is not sissy its not bad for the sport. In MOST cases, they have seen the wrestler before and beat them... That kid should have beat them in the first match. I know this doesn't apply to this match, but bumping a kid up to get him another win on his record instead of a loss. That's a strategy for seeding because winning percentage is a criteria...

The idea of holding a kid out of a good match for a sectional seed goes against what a lot of top programs try to do. They go and look for the best competition. Just look at some of the schedules for the top teams in the state, it is brutal. I would rather a kid be battle tested and able to handle the tough matches they will face during their tournament run. If they only wrestle kids they can beat, how will they be able to pull out a tough win versus someone who may be a little better than them come tournament time?

Tony Currie

I agree you should try to get as many tough matches for kids to get them ready for the state tourney.     But to put into context,  was this a close a dual match?   Its not uncommon for teams to move up a up a weight to try to steal a few points which kid make a difference in a very close dual.  It just might have been a strategic decision to win a match.

Realize that sometimes coaches are looking for better matchups to win for the team.  As a coach you have the opportunity to protect your wrestler by making sure the opposing team has choice which forces them to report to the table first. 

Do people dodge wrestlers for seeds?  Yes but from my experience it usually works against them in the end and it's sweet justice when they lose and don't get out of the sectional.  We had this happen last year where a coach fought for a lower seed in an effort to wrestle our kid in the first round of sectionals.  We pinned him again and he was upset in the 2nd round and didn't make it out. 

Okay, so I'm wondering what other coaches, fans, wrestlers, etc. think of this cause I'm a little frustrated. We have now had 2 dual meets in which the team we are wrestling dodges one of our wrestlers and actually removes kids from the lineup to avoid wrestling our 160 lber. I literally watched a coach hold his 160 lber back and wait to see who we sent to the score table, then gave us the forfeit, then bumped his 60 to 70 and bumped their 70 from the lineup. I should preface this by saying that the team we were wrestling has beaten us soundly twice before this so it wasn't like there was a real strategy where saving one point would mean the difference. The frustrating part is it is senior night and we've got family, friends, and many of the students there to celebrate a pretty successful wrestler that has meant a lot to our program. To me, it looked like a sissy move. I understand strategy and best case scenario is that he saves a couple points, but again, they have dominated us in the last 2 duals. What happened to you lineup your team against my team and we will go at it?

Frustrated on senior night.

The original post.This guys icon has AC as his school so I assumed that is the case?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.