Girl qualifies - Good or Bad?

wildcatcountry97

I think she wrestled amazing! If you were there you wouldn't understand. She tech Falled the regional champ from logansport then dominated a kid from the DAC one of the biggest conference in Indiana. Then is the semi's took a returning SQ to the limit and gave up a reversal for the loss with like 30 left then in the 3 rd and 4 th place match took Garza a highly rated al smith finalist to the wire. The beauty of wrestling is it doesn't matter where from how much money you have and I'm guessing if your man or woman. It is you vs them one on one and if you have skill you will do well. Congrats Kayla on proving you belong with the best in Indy. Keep proving people wrong

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not a huge fan of girls wrestling boys...I am a fan of wrestling...and if on any given day, a girl who trains as hard as any boy in the room, puts it all on the line to do something she loves and comes out the victor...than I say CONGRATS & GOOD LUCK.  The fact is, she made history by advancing to State, and she did it by WINNING MATCHES.  This is one talented lady and I'm looking forward to watching her career unfold.  As I told a 106 lbr yesterday ~ when she's wearing that Olympic medal you'll be able to say ~ I was there, I saw her wrestle in high school, I was wrestling when she made history, and she was dang good!!!

My son has been beaten by Kayla more than once as have many others around this state. She has been trained by one of the best coaches in the state and now by the best coaches in the country. She is just a another wrestler out there on the mat. And I am sure that is the way she would want it. I will bet Boston Lee and Brown are all hoping they don't have to deal with her Fridaynite.

She showed that she has all of the moves, both offensive and defensive.  She only missed

by a second or 2 of having a pin on the Penn kid which would have put her in the finals

and in the consolation she had a chauvanist for an official.  He had no intention of letting

her come out of that match as the victor.  Twice Garza looked like he was going to put her on

backbut she got out of it both times and all she had to do was pull her head out and she would

of had at least a reversal but the ref called a stalemate both times.  Also when she was on top

and they went out of bounds the ref gave Garza a point and there was no separation at all.

Good luck at state Kayla.  In my opinion you were the 2nd best 106lber at the Merrillville

semi-state.

My son has been beaten by Kayla more than once as have many others around this state. She has been trained by one of the best coaches in the state and now by the best coaches in the country. She is just a another wrestler out there on the mat. And I am sure that is the way she would want it. I will bet Boston Lee and Brown are all hoping they don't have to deal with her Fridaynite.

Don't know bout the other two, but I doubt Boston is gonna lose too much sleep worrying about her.  I agree that the other two might start sweating it out a bit.  She very well could be wraslin on Saturday if she can avoid the Boston draw.

A lady qualifies for the state tournament

- For discussion sake...

1- Does this make the argument that the Merrillville Semi-State is the 'toughest' a little weaker? - If it does is that fair?

2- Was she that good today, or were the boys this morning wrestling that bad? TechFall and 10-0 is pretty darn dominant

She has amazing flexibility, which helps in certain defensive situations.  As an individual wrestler, I am happy for her, and wish her nothing but the best whether it be against boys or women.  She put's in the time & effort like any other wrestler, and by doing so, deserves an opportunity to show she can win.  If she wants to wrestle, God bless her.  Any parent would be proud to call her their daughter.  As a matter of fact, I would welcome seeing women's wrestling continue to grow and succeed.

What I do hate is the Title IX feminist crowd, and the spineless administrators that have gutted men's wrestling in the

high school and collegiate level over the last 20+ years, all in the name of making not equal opportunity, but equal results.

When you compare the # of boys who compete in sports, compared to girls, yet then demand equal number of college sports

place holders, it is just wrong, and the long term educational and leadership impact will be lasting.

A lady qualifies for the state tournament

- For discussion sake...

1- Does this make the argument that the Merrillville Semi-State is the 'toughest' a little weaker? - If it does is that fair?

2- Was she that good today, or were the boys this morning wrestling that bad? TechFall and 10-0 is pretty darn dominant

You obviously haven't made the parade of champions yourself.  You have disrespected every opponent she has beaten this season, as well as, the entire female gender.  Do you realize that if there was a female wrestling option she would likely have been a 4x-er?  Would you talk about any of the male 4x-ers this way?  Anyone who has qualified for state would respect the family's sacrifice to get to this point.  It is obviously hard for a male (as all those who are playing baseball or track on Monday would tell you).  She has overcome things that boys wouldn't understand.  Why would you take that moment away from her with such a post.  When the parade of champions starts I am going to stand and applaud her for earning her place among the men.  You sir, are what is bad for wrestling.  Your comments make wrestling weaker and less respected.  "Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt..."  fool!

She showed that she has all of the moves, both offensive and defensive.  She only missed

by a second or 2 of having a pin on the Penn kid which would have put her in the finals

and in the consolation she had a chauvanist for an official.  He had no intention of letting

her come out of that match as the victor.  Twice Garza looked like he was going to put her on

backbut she got out of it both times and all she had to do was pull her head out and she would

of had at least a reversal but the ref called a stalemate both times.  Also when she was on top

and they went out of bounds the ref gave Garza a point and there was no separation at all.

Good luck at state Kayla.  In my opinion you were the 2nd best 106lber at the Merrillville

semi-state.

Every time I think some of the posts about Miracle can't get any more ridiculous, someone comes along and posts something like this.  She lost those matches and I bet if you asked her about them she wouldn't use the lame copout you just did.  Accusing the ref of being a chauvinist and making sure she didn't win is shameful.  That being said, congratulations on the big accomplishment and good luck to her next weekend.

Prior to this weekend I was not sure if she could've qualified but she definetly earned her ticket. She wrestled hard and could very easily of been in the finals. I think one of the best parts of the day was the standing ovation she recieved after winning her second match.

As far as her Friday match a common opponent between them is Garza of Merrillville. Garza beat Lee 4-2 and beat Miracle 5-2. I know you can't read to much in to this but it at least tells you that she has a good chance at placing.

And yes she is that good.

I am not a fan of girls wrestling in a boys program for several reasons.  Mainly it puts the boy in a socially bad predicament.  A boy can not possibly walk away a winner in this situation.  If he wins," big deal you should have won."  If he gets beat, you got beat by a girl you big wussy.  Another reason I don't like it is because of the uncomfortable and delicate manner of running certain moves.  The kid from Penn was clearly uncomfortable when he was trying to run a 2 on1 through the crotch.  He didn't know where to put his hands.  ..... 

No one commented on the uncomfortable situation the boy is in while wrestling a girl.  Would Kayla not have an advantage, concerning the uncomfortable situations both are in at times (crotch, chest, etc.), since she wrestles boys at every meet and in practice.  As a father of girls and boys, I personally would not want my daughter on the mat with boys in those situations.  I also have much respect for the boy from Iowa that declined to wrestle a girl due to his beliefs even though it cost him a chance to win a state title.         

No one commented on the uncomfortable situation the boy is in while wrestling a girl.  Would Kayla not have an advantage, concerning the uncomfortable situations both are in at times (crotch, chest, etc.), since she wrestles boys at every meet and in practice.  As a father of girls and boys, I personally would not want my daughter on the mat with boys in those situations.  I also have much respect for the boy from Iowa that declined to wrestle a girl due to his beliefs even though it cost him a chance to win a state title.         

tbh when i am a father, if i have a daughter and she wants to wrestle, then im ok with it, even if she has to wrestle boys. If thats what she wants to do then i want her to have the best chance to succeed, aka wrestling the best compition, not sit out in hs since theres no female wrestling.  She is out there to compete, so go out there and compete. If i have a son that would have to wrestle him a girl, id hope he would go out there to wrestle! Shes out there, shes an opponent,  so wrestle her as such.

Well you know she's good when this year she's only been beat by 3 boys! It's amazing watching her wrestle.

And as for it being a boys program, where does it say that, because I'd love to see it! And if those boys can't get the job done on a girl then they sure don't deserve to be out there wrestling a boy! It is no different!

No one commented on the uncomfortable situation the boy is in while wrestling a girl.  Would Kayla not have an advantage, concerning the uncomfortable situations both are in at times (crotch, chest, etc.), since she wrestles boys at every meet and in practice.  As a father of girls and boys, I personally would not want my daughter on the mat with boys in those situations.  I also have much respect for the boy from Iowa that declined to wrestle a girl due to his beliefs even though it cost him a chance to win a state title.          

I am a man, and wrestled men... I am not comfortable with some of the wrestling positions I ended up in many times.

As for saying girls vs. boys... well, I want my three girls to know that they can be a female CEO, a female president, a female in charge of _____.  Just because a woman has never done it before isn't an excuse for my girls to not do it.  Funny thing is, if a woman has never done it, that means only men have.  If we didn't challenge the gender lines were would woman be today?  'Leave it to Beaver' is off the air.  Grow up, get on with it.  

How many 106 guys have a record of 78-5? If that continued for 2 more years she would finish 156-10. How many wrestlers can have a career like that? I don't care who you are. 156 wins in 4 years in high school is good, very good.

Bottom line. She out wrestled all but 15 guys in the State.

How many of the 15 others left will she out wrestle will be decided this weekend.

Lastly, women can be Special Forces against the guys. Why can't they wrestle against them?

I haven't had the chance to see her wrestle this year but, I did last year.  She IS the real deal.  She is very technical and has great balance and poise.  As a metter of fact she is stronger than most of the boys at that weight class.  I was so excited to see that she qualified for state I scared my wife to death when I yelled!  Congrats Kayla!  I look forward to seeing you on the podium this weekend!  I can see the tshirts already..."Believe in Miracle"....I may start selling em!

As far as being uncomfortable wrestling her, maybe they should be uncomfortable if she is whipping your BUTT!!

With the public/private debate raging on other sport board's (and here - Mater Dei) just a quick question, where is she from? It seems in the past a number of their football players came from all over the nation and the world. Mainly just curious where this private school wrestler is from?

SERIOUSLY on this post.. GET a LIFE

She is tough in my eyes she had a shot to win semi state if a different ref was there or just out to the other side where the pin was she would have been in the finals and for her 3rd-4th place match merriville neever had that escape in my eyes he was still on his own butt and she had control she is tough and I am happy that i was able to watch her matches and be one the the people to see history as The first girl make it to Indians state tournament

This is a really sensitive subject and I'm going to get destroyed for what I'm about to post but I believe it makes a single class state like indiana look weak by having a female qualify for individual state.  Other "wrestling" states (I believe iowa?) have had a female qualify for state but I'm pretty sure it was in the smallest class.  States like alaska have had female champs but I wouldn't put their wrestling on par with a midwestern state.  Sorry, but this is my opinion.  I'll probably be approaching caliboy/demoguy/wc182dad for the most boos by nightfall.

You are an idiot. If you saw Kayla wrestle today you would know she is legit. I bet she places next week, and she is only a sophomore. 

From the sounds of it you're a little bit of a Kayla homer, which is completely fine (I'm excited to see her wrestle).  The problem is the perception of a female placing ahead of boys in a very physical sport.  She may have very well been completely dominate but with the perception of a female in every case being "weaker" or less capable is very prevalent.  He was not bashing Kayla, he was stating how other states could view our body of wrestling.  At no point did he mention that she didn't dominate or deserve her ticket to the bank.

Maybe you should read and analyze the post before flying off your hinges.  It makes you sound like the idiot.

I am  fan of Kayla keep it going keep proving some of these older men and guys worng you can do it dont let anyone tell you differently  ;D.... and as for backing out of a wrestling match with a girl i honestly would not back out of a mtach because if she is there t owrestle she wants to wrestle why is it any difference I am not seeing this at all. I do think the times have changed and we now have our 1st female state qualifier good job you know what great job

Prior to this weekend I was not sure if she could've qualified but she definetly earned her ticket. She wrestled hard and could very easily of been in the finals. I think one of the best parts of the day was the standing ovation she recieved after winning her second match.

As far as her Friday match a common opponent between them is Garza of Merrillville. Garza beat Lee 4-2 and beat Miracle 5-2. I know you can't read to much in to this but it at least tells you that she has a good chance at placing.

And yes she is that good.

They have at least two other common opponents in Davis of Penn and Hartman of Clay.  If you are going to nitpick one common opponent I will pick Hartman whom Lee pinned and whom defeated Miracle 8-2.  The Garza match was also an overtime victory, fyi.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.