Spartan Classic Vs. Al Smith Classic pick em

IMAWRESTLER

Spartan Classic          V      Al Smith Classic

106 - Kuhn (EVR),        V        Boston,(LN)

113 - Frane (DEK),        V      Brooks, (War)

120 - Krumlauf (DEK),    V      Sparks, (LN)

126 - Phillips (UC)          V      Ayersman, (LakC)

132 - Moody (EVR),        V      Forte, (Mis)

138 - Farrell (GFC),        V      Molloy, (Dan)

145 - Corsaro (Cath        V      Faurote, (BEL)

152 - Rueger (EVR          V      Ntende (GOS)

160 - Harvey (Cath)          V    Steveson (MER)

0170 - Willis (Cath            V    Mappes (CEG)

182 - Albertson (Ronc)    V      Adams (JIM)

195 - Raypole (Carr)        V      Baker (BEL)

220 - Knura (IC)              V      Robinson (LAK)

285 - Bernard (Cath)        V      Dozier (SBR)

Spartan Classic           V      Al Smith Classic

106 - Kuhn (EVR),         V        Boston,(LN)

113 - Frane (DEK),         V       Brooks, (War)

138 - Farrell (GFC),         V      Molloy, (Dan)

145 - Corsaro (Cath         V      Faurote, (BEL)

160 - Harvey (Cath)          V     Steveson (MER)

0170 - Willis (Cath             V     Mappes (CEG)

182 - Albertson (Ronc)     V      Adams (JIM)

195 - Raypole (Carr)        V       Baker (BEL)

220 - Knura (IC)               V      Robinson (LAK)

106- Boston by TF

113- Brooks by TF

120- Sparks by Dec

126- Ayersman by Dec

132- Forte by Dec

138- Molloy by Dec

145- Faurote by Dec

152- Rueger by Fall

160- Harvey by Dec

170- Willis by Dec

182- Adams by Dec

195- Raypole by Dec

220- Knura by Dec

285- Bernard by Dec

Pick who you want...the Al Smith is THE tournament in Indiana, period.

It has been for a very long time. Sure, other tournaments around Indiana are tough and have some great wrestlers but year-in, year-out, NO tournament can match the Al Smith.

Agreed Coach.  Looks like Al Smith would have walked away witht he frst 7 weight classes in the matchup. 

Hmm...I've been to many Al Smith tournaments and no C-ville tournaments--just so you know I'm on your side about Al Smith being deeper overall--but Al Smith would definitely not walk away with the first seven here.  Krumlauf/Sparks, Moody/Forte, and Corsaro/Faurote could all have cases made that the C-ville guy would be favored.  And C-ville is a clear favorite in 5 of the last 7, with the other 2 tossups.  I think Al Smith champs would win the dual because of some big points with their nationally ranked guys; but despite being an Al Smith guy, I have to admit C-ville champs could legitimately win as many as 10 and would be favored in 6 or 7.

Pick who you want...the Al Smith is THE tournament in Indiana, period.

It has been for a very long time. Sure, other tournaments around Indiana are tough and have some great wrestlers but year-in, year-out, NO tournament can match the Al Smith.

maybe this year was the exception, but as a whole the tournament was not deep.  Had a lot of forfeits and not very many good finals matches.  Some weight classes were loaded, 195 and 220, while others were not so loaded with ranked talent.  But year end and year out, yes I would agree Al Smith has been THE tournament in Indiana.

106-Boston

113-Brooks

120-Sparks

126-Ayersman

132-Forte

138-Molloy

145-Carsaro

152-Rueger

160-Steveson

170-Willis

182-Alberson

195-Baker

220-Knura

Hwt-Bernard

106 Boston

113 Brooks

120 Sparks

126 Ayersman

132 Forte

138 Molloy

145 Faurote

152 Rueger

160 Harvey

170 Willis

182 Albertson

195 Baker

220 Robinson

285 Bernard

I'm curious, does Ayersman constantly get the nod over Phillips b/c he's from the REGIOOOOON?

I'm guessing Ayersman constantly gets the nod because his two titles were won at weight classes other than 103 and Phillips got his two at 103 and didn't experience the same success at 112.  Just my guess.  Both are awesome wrestlers without a doubt.

I'm guessing Ayersman constantly gets the nod because his two titles were won at weight classes other than 103 and Phillips got his two at 103 and didn't experience the same success at 112.  Just my guess.  Both are awesome wrestlers without a doubt.

I believe Ayersman was in that same 103 pound weight class when they were freshman and he finished 3rd (I think) getting beat by Kief from Franklin Community who Phillips stuck in the state finals. I think it will be a good match but I think Phillips intensity level will be to much for Ayersman. If Campbell could have done that four six minutes last year instead of only four I'm not sure we would be having this discussion.

I believe Ayersman was in that same 103 pound weight class when they were freshman and he finished 3rd (I think) getting beat by Kief from Franklin Community who Phillips stuck in the state finals. I think it will be a good match but I think Phillips intensity level will be to much for Ayersman. If Campbell could have done that four six minutes last year instead of only four I'm not sure we would be having this discussion.

Very true.  However, that was three years ago when they were both at 103 and Phillips dominated the weight class.  That is my point exactly.  Ayersman has won two titles since then at weight classes that were more challenging than 103.    I don't believe Kyle has lost since that day at state his freshman year and I still feel that Phillips struggled to maintain the same level of dominance at 112 that he experienced during his freshman and sophomore years at 103.  I just think that Ayersman has developed into a better wrestler than Cody in the past three years.  That's just one man's opinion.  I guess we will have to wait and see how things play out.  This type of excitement and speculation is what makes wrestling the greatest sport of all!  And for the record, I agree that Ayersman got very lucky that Campbell didn't maintain that level of intensity for the entire six minutes.  In my opinion, that was one of the most exciting matches I have seen in a long time.

Very true.  However, that was three years ago when they were both at 103 and Phillips dominated the weight class.  That is my point exactly.  Ayersman has won two titles since then at weight classes that were more challenging than 103.    I don't believe Kyle has lost since that day at state his freshman year and I still feel that Phillips struggled to maintain the same level of dominance at 112 that he experienced during his freshman and sophomore years at 103.  I just think that Ayersman has developed into a better wrestler than Cody in the past three years.  That's just one man's opinion.  I guess we will have to wait and see how things play out.  This type of excitement and speculation is what makes wrestling the greatest sport of all!  And for the record, I agree that Ayersman got very lucky that Campbell didn't maintain that level of intensity for the entire six minutes.  In my opinion, that was one of the most exciting matches I have seen in a long time.

ayersman did lose to beck at al smith his sophomore year, but got revenge at semi-state. Brooks, todd, and McKinley were all in that weight class also as freshmen, and look at them now. People improve, and since ayersman won it last year, at a higher weight, were as phillips lost to 2 people that were in his weight class when hei was ai freshmen,last year, id say theres a reason ayersmans the favorite

I am a huge LC supporter and to clarify, Kyle actually beat Beck at semi-state and for his first title.  No biggie on the omission, just thought I'd clear that up.  That being said.  Kyle isn't walking through any title this year.  I think Phillips will give him all he can handle.  Kyle keeps the score close, which scares me at times.  He's always seemed to come out on top in those matches, so we'll see how things go.  I'll obviously give the nod to Kyle in this match, but realize that Phillips is a dangerous opponent.  Also, Cumme did some nice things in his match versus Kyle at the Al Smith, so I wouldn't count him out.  My honest opinion is that he is just a step below Kyle and Cody, but not a very big step, so if he gets hot he could give Kyle and Cody some trouble. 

I am a huge LC supporter and to clarify, Kyle actually beat Beck at semi-state and for his first title.  No biggie on the omission, just thought I'd clear that up.  That being said.  Kyle isn't walking through any title this year.  I think Phillips will give him all he can handle.  Kyle keeps the score close, which scares me at times.  He's always seemed to come out on top in those matches, so we'll see how things go.  I'll obviously give the nod to Kyle in this match, but realize that Phillips is a dangerous opponent.  Also, Cumme did some nice things in his match versus Kyle at the Al Smith, so I wouldn't count him out.  My honest opinion is that he is just a step below Kyle and Cody, but not a very big step, so if he gets hot he could give Kyle and Cody some trouble. 

omission?  I did say he got his revenge at semi-state. I didnt see the point in saying the state part, i thought that was obvious

The match with Crume changed quite a bit by the midway point and Ayersman was cautioned for backing up in the third period.

The match was a learning experience for Crume for sure...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.