What Leasons Are Being Taught Off The Mat

What is going on in out community?

A coach is physically restrained in a coach v parent altercation at an IHSAA event and not removed from the tournament.

A parent brings a backpack to a tournament with 2 handguns, 1 accidentally discharges in the crowded gym.  

A wrestler responds to a hard club by throwing a punch at ISWA state and is allowed to continue wrestling.  His dad is asked to leave by a referee but refuses and remains without any consequences.  

Have things gotten worse or did I just have my head in the sand before?  

10 hours ago, Keepitlegal said:

What is going on in out community?

A coach is physically restrained in a coach v parent altercation at an IHSAA event and not removed from the tournament.

A parent brings a backpack to a tournament with 2 handguns, 1 accidentally discharges in the crowded gym.  

A wrestler responds to a hard club by throwing a punch at ISWA state and is allowed to continue wrestling.  His dad is asked to leave by a referee but refuses and remains without any consequences.  

Have things gotten worse or did I just have my head in the sand before?  

Nothing worse, other than the gun incident everything else is pretty normal year to year at sporting events . This is why most schools either have Police within the schools or hired in on sporting events. 

Hope the person that had the gun at schools loves Federal Felony on his or her record possibly some Prison time as well. 

We, as adults talk about the "younger generation" and the lack of respect and accountability, and then we have people that act like this with no consequence.  The mystery as to why these kids act this way is not hard to solve, in my opinion.  If you want your kids to act and carry themselves in a particular manner, you must model what that looks like when things don't go your way.  Kids only know what they're taught and seeing the way some "coaches" and parents carry themselves, those aren't the lessons I want to teach my young people.  

20 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

We, as adults talk about the "younger generation" and the lack of respect and accountability, and then we have people that act like this with no consequence.  The mystery as to why these kids act this way is not hard to solve, in my opinion.  If you want your kids to act and carry themselves in a particular manner, you must model what that looks like when things don't go your way.  Kids only know what they're taught and seeing the way some "coaches" and parents carry themselves, those aren't the lessons I want to teach my young people.  

If I had a dollar for every time I heard a parent cuss at their kid this weekend, I'd have lunch paid for this whole week. Apples and trees 

1 hour ago, julio said:

You can see it in the schools as well, parents coming in a cussing out teachers and principals right in front of the student.  Parents are not trying to be parents anymore, in my opinion, but they rather be best friends with their kids.

If we want to dig even deeper into this point: I think our whole culture teaches us that being happy is the meaning of life. Which is all well and good. But the way happiness is defined nowadays has evolved into this: "obsessively chase what you think should be yours so you can be happy for you." That's a counterfeit happiness--it's a rigid individualism and potentially narcissism. True happiness doesn't happen on an island. It happens in relationships and in respect of community. Relationships involve self-sacrifice--the opposite of "get mine for me." As a parent, I'm trying to learn better how to teach "chase your dreams" in a way that also involves celebrating others' successes. It's tough to do!!

Edited by maligned

I actually feel like a lot of good things are happening off the mat.  

This weekend was high emotion, and that breeds tension. 

I saw kids that were finished staying to watch placement matches. Many of these kids weren’t from the same school, club, region or semi-state. I saw kids that don’t know each other talk and interact and support each other. I saw parents hug their kids and tell them how proud they were. I saw coaches tell a kid how much they’ve grown. 

I would argue there is more of that than the opposite. Bad things get a lot of attention, but I think we should focus on all of the good stuff instead. 

The future is bright in Indiana for wrestling. This tournament seems to get tougher every year, and that’s awesome. 

Ill point out that the bad news always gets more attention, so this isn't necessarily so.

In my interactions, 99% of the time I see good sportsmanship, good behavior and people enjoying the sport.   Just like our news, the negative makes a good story, but it sure doesnt mean that its the norm.  Ive been around wrestling for years, and crazy ***potty mouth*** has always happened.

Not sure what happened in the IHSAA event, but maybe handled wrong, but the IHSAA doesnt look kindly on stuff described.    Im sure this was investigated and acted on.  Guns are so prevalent,  people love them,  but still this is an anomaly.

On the ISWa tournament,  there was a lot of brotherly wrestling love this weekend.  99% of people were great,  appreciative and enjoying themselves. Its like a giant wrestling reunion.  Yes, there was some incidents from passionate people whose behavior could have been better.  But  I dont think the original poster knows the full circumstances of the situation described.   I say look at all the good this weekend, kids of all ages learning sportsmanship, making friends enjoying competing.  It overshadows any negative,  and that crazy behavior is not anything new.   Always some bad apples.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

On 3/11/2024 at 10:33 AM, julio said:

You can see it in the schools as well, parents coming in a cussing out teachers and principals right in front of the student.  Parents are not trying to be parents anymore, in my opinion, but they rather be best friends with their kids.

Or they come right into practice yelling at the coach when they don’t have a clue as to what is going on. 

Stood in the corner this past weekend at ISWA for one of our 7 year old club kids. The kid is pretty talented! Well this kid has apparently been doing some private lessons for quite some time with an older coach (who is not affiliated with our club) 

while standing in the corner with this guy, I heard him say things to this 7 year old, after losing a match that he was winning, like, “how the hell are you gonna turn around and blow it for us like that, that’s embarrassing”

as well as getting just overly angry at the kid mid match for things like giving up a take down or an escape etc. 

this kid has been having issues controlling his emotions during matches like this and I finally had to sit the mom down and tell her that the reason he is struggling with controlling his emotions is because of this other coach, if the adult can’t control his emotions and makes him feel overwhelmed then the kid will never learn to control them either.