Semi-State Draws

Last year in Evansville, 106 was Bloomington vs Castle. 

On 1/29/2024 at 7:29 PM, awill0352 said:

And doesn't Evansville SS also have the most schools compared to other semi states?  You would think they would reorganize a little. 

As with some of the prior years we will see just how much work they put into using all the possible formula options and making them actually “random.”

Hate to think some coaches would game the system and suggest a wrestlers take a certain finish. But when state is on the line, most of the other regional seems pretty clear minus a major upset, and the formula becomes predictable I’m sure the thought of having that conversation is there.  Still a gamble that maybe too high odds play but again states on the line if the bet lines up. The draw of Semi-State and State are brutal enough as it is.  

Just hope the IHSAA had the time and forethought to actually use the random generator and all of their possible formula options.  

Edited by MattM

7 minutes ago, MattM said:

As with some of the prior years we will see just how much work they put into making the formula options actually “random.”

I wonder if there's a difference this year with some of the new weights, or if they have the same formulas and just changed the weight numbers. Cause the Jay county 2 seed was consistently drawing Carroll for ticket round, which is why we knew once our guy got second at regional last year he was getting Veazy ticket round. So is that seeding the same for 175 this year, or is it actually going to be random?

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

I wonder if there's a difference this year with some of the new weights, or if they have the same formulas and just changed the weight numbers. Cause the Jay county 2 seed was consistently drawing Carroll for ticket round, which is why we knew once our guy got second at regional last year he was getting Veazy ticket round. So is that seeding the same for 175 this year, or is it actually going to be random?

Jay County 2's hit Peru 1's more often along with the vice versa or Jay County 1's hitting Peru 2's. That's why Jay County has had inflated state qualifier numbers for so many years.

18 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Jay County 2's hit Peru 1's more often along with the vice versa or Jay County 1's hitting Peru 2's. That's why Jay County has had inflated state qualifier numbers for so many years.

My point wasn't that Jay County 2's get bad draws. My point was the draws are rarely random cause of the one example, and I was curious if the formula stays the same for 175 or if they change it up with new weights. 

I thought somewhere on this site that the previous years matrix where used to show how often a formulas did or did not change up.

Maybe someone did if for just a certain weight class. I know I tried to go and figured it out for myself for my kids weight once. 

2 hours ago, buttler73 said:

I thought somewhere on this site that the previous years matrix where used to show how often a formulas did or did not change up.

Maybe someone did if for just a certain weight class. I know I tried to go and figured it out for myself for my kids weight once. 

That's like throwing dice down a hallway! 

Angry Fox Tv GIF by Hell's Kitchen 

Semi State Draws 

Possible #1 vs. #3 at 126 in Evansville, Moorseville Regional errrrrr… Semi State Meat Grinder gave us another year of hammers possible meeting in Blood Round. 

Every single year they bring the entertainment to Evansville Semi State . 
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

1 hour ago, Clint Gard said:

Funny…I brought this up last year and people said I was crazy.  I don’t know how it will be for ECC, but Ft Wayne was NOT random last year. 

Prove it then! Quit acting like you know how they will go when you don't.

Here are the last 10 years assigning a number to each of the possible formulas.

image.png

5 hours ago, Short Jay said:

Y2, 

You care to share those statistics with everyone?

12 years of SS brackets, this is the number of times these regionals will meet

A1 is the champ for the regional vs. the 4th's in the first round

A1 vs. the 2nd's and 3rds are the bottom two charts and they would obviously hit in the quarters. 

image.png

10 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

12 years of SS brackets, this is the number of times these regionals will meet

A1 is the champ for the regional vs. the 4th's in the first round

A1 vs. the 2nd's and 3rds are the bottom two charts and they would obviously hit in the quarters. 

image.png

Y2, 

Thanks for sharing.  

6 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Prove it then! Quit acting like you know how they will go when you don't.

Here are the last 10 years assigning a number to each of the possible formulas.

image.png

I don’t think I said anything about knowing how they would go this year but, last year, we were able to know/predict who we would have based on 5-6 years of brackets from the FT Wayne SS.  If I remember correctly, one of my assistants nailed the draws for all of our guys. So think what you want, but that doesn’t seem “random” to me. 

6 minutes ago, Clint Gard said:

I don’t think I said anything about knowing how they would go this year but, last year, we were able to know/predict who we would have based on 5-6 years of brackets from the FT Wayne SS.  If I remember correctly, one of my assistants nailed the draws for all of our guys. So think what you want, but that doesn’t seem “random” to me. 

Then tell everyone the draws for this year.