Y2CJ41

1. Wyoming Sem 268 points 

……

11. Brownsburg 77 points

….
18. Crown Point 59.0 points

19.Center Grove 56.5 points

……

130. Walsh Jesuit 0 points … but probably $100,000 in pocket! 

All three in top 20 out of 130 teams.

Edited by Mattyb

Who will be the first Indiana wrestler to win Ironman?? Could Lee, Mendez, Red, Micic, Boston, Parris, etc have won it in the past??

We had several wrestlers lose very close matches that could have went either way. 

Also, I am very surprised at how our tough seniors could lose to freshman or sophomores. I didn’t see that coming. It’s such a tough tournament. My predictions were way off. 

11 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Who will be the first Indiana wrestler to win Ironman?? Could Lee, Mendez, Red, Micic, Boston, Parris, etc have won it in the past??

We had several wrestlers lose very close matches that could have went either way. 

Also, I am very surprised at how our tough seniors could lose to freshman or sophomores. I didn’t see that coming. It’s such a tough tournament. My predictions were way off. 

Throw grades out the window. I would point out that two of the high schoolers there won a college open against some of the NCAAs best this season. I actually spoke with a 14 year old with a beard. All of these kids are freaks that have been training since 4 or 5 years old.

It’s a tournament with 64 man brackets full of the best of the best period. The intensity is through the roof from the first whistle. So many top kids beat other top kids just to get injured in the next match or two. At 113 a kid beat the world champ, then had to MFF after. The stars must align perfectly to win this thing. One of our placers lost his front tooth!!! 

With that said, those kids that you mentioned would absolutely compete for titles there. Actually… Red was there all weekend. They all would have tough roads but could absolutely all have shots to win there. Many teams send one or two kids. in most case, full teams do not go. It’s just a matter of time before our next great high schooler goes and wins an Ironman title. Our next great kid will get a bid (regardless of school) and go get one. Can’t wait to see it!!

1 hour ago, Ahawkeye said:

Maurer his senior year, same for Coughlin won Senior Nationals. The Tsirtsis Brothers.

For those that don’t recall or never heard, Alex Tsirtsis was invited to the Midlands Tournament his senior year of HS. Something that had only occurred twice prior to that with Jimmy Carr and Cary Kolat being invited. Surprisingly the IHSAA even allowed him a rare waiver for him to compete there.  At that point The Midlands was clearly toughest in season college event in the nation.  He went 2-2 with both his loses coming by low scoring decisions against Top 10 seeded guys.  Solid results for a high schooler.  

Edited by MattM

53 minutes ago, igotcaught said:

I think this past weekend really put in perspective how good Crown Point was last year at full strength. (6 Placers) Makes me wonder how long it’ll take for an Indiana school to match or break that record. 

Brownsburg only loses Preston Haines, Brady Ison, and Jesse Derringer from this year's team.

Cash Mays- won a few matches
Revin Dickman- 2x placer
Braylon Reynolds- only a freshman
Hockaday- two time bloodround
Parker Reynolds- sophomore
Tommy Gibbs- Keeps improving, only a sophomore
Mason Day- steadily improving
Gunner Henry- made day 2
Caden Brewer- made day 2
Max Forrester- if he'd get in the weight room he'd be good! He's going to improve by leaps and bounds the next year.

Brownsburg will be able to push that next year.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Brownsburg only loses Preston Haines, Brady Ison, and Jesse Derringer from this year's team.

Revin Dickman- 2x placer
Gunner Henry- made day 2
Caden Brewer- made day 2
Max Forrester- if he'd get in the weight room he'd be good! He's going to improve by leaps and bounds the next year.

And it's looking more like Brownsburg may beat CP in a dual and IHSAA scoring this year . Very hard for CP to replicate last years performance after losing 3 state champs and 2 3rd place finishers . 

Edited by M109R

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Revin Dickman- 2x placer
Gunner Henry- made day 2
Caden Brewer- made day 2

Can they do it? Absolutely

Much easier said than done. Hockaday placed 4th at Fargo and Henry placed at Super 32 and they still fell short. Shepherd got 3rd at Fargo and went 1-2. Krejsa knocked off the #5 guy in the country and lost blood round. 6 placers will be quite the task for INDIANA in my opinion. 

After 2 years at the Ironman only 1 semi finalist (Rinehart) and he lost blood round the year after.

Dickman has a good chance of becoming the first 3x Ironman placer and possibly 4. I think that’s more impressive than winning 4 state titles.

1 hour ago, igotcaught said:

Can they do it? Absolutely

Much easier said than done. Hockaday placed 4th at Fargo and Henry placed at Super 32 and they still fell short. Shepherd got 3rd at Fargo and went 1-2. Krejsa knocked off the #5 guy in the country and lost blood round. 6 placers will be quite the task for INDIANA in my opinion. 

After 2 years at the Ironman only 1 semi finalist (Rinehart) and he lost blood round the year after.

Dickman has a good chance of becoming the first 3x Ironman placer and possibly 4. I think that’s more impressive than winning 4 state titles.

I would go out on a strong limb and say even the CP team from last year wouldn't have had as many placers in this year's event. They added 100 wrestlers to the event to make it even tougher. Think about it, 10% of the new additions were Center Grove level wrestlers! 

They will make some changes in the event in terms of entries for next year. Not sure if there is another mysterious gym to add a couple mats to or not so I'd expect less entries but more scrutiny on them next year.

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I would go out on a strong limb and say even the CP team from last year wouldn't have had as many placers in this year's event. They added 100 wrestlers to the event to make it even tougher. Think about it, 10% of the new additions were Center Grove level wrestlers! 

They will make some changes in the event in terms of entries for next year. Not sure if there is another mysterious gym to add a couple mats to or not so I'd expect less entries but more scrutiny on them next year.

Thank goodness last year's CP team who had 4 D1 commits (5 if Cody Goodwin chose college) got to wrestle in the easy Ironman tournament.

8 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Thank goodness last year's CP team who had 4 D1 commits (5 if Cody Goodwin chose college) got to wrestle in the easy Ironman tournament.

Are you a little butthurt that I spoke the truth? The tournament added 100 wrestlers, that cannot be disputed. The depth was increased when you add 8 tough wrestlers to each weight class.

Tell me, has CP regressed as a whole or was the tournament tougher this year.

image.png

9 hours ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Don't think he ever said last years Ironman was easy , as none ever have been . He's simply saying this years was tougher . Anytime quality teams or individuals are added to a tournament , it is going to be tougher to win/place . 

34 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Are you a little butthurt that I spoke the truth? The tournament added 100 wrestlers, that cannot be disputed. The depth was increased when you add 8 tough wrestlers to each weight class.

Tell me, has CP regressed as a whole or was the tournament tougher this year.

image.png

Nope, not butthurt at all.

To answer your question, maybe both.  Maybe CP's team was a little better last year and maybe the Ironman was a little tougher this year.  Who knows.  

I just made the comment that CP had 4 D1 wrestlers plus Cody Goodwin.  They also had Will Clark, Paul Clark and Anthony Rinehart.  Pretty impressive team.  Maybe there would be a good chance 6 of those 8 could have made the podium this year.  Maybe not.

31 minutes ago, TrueRegionFan said:

Nope, not butthurt at all.

To answer your question, maybe both.  Maybe CP's team was a little better last year and maybe the Ironman was a little tougher this year.  Who knows.  

I just made the comment that CP had 4 D1 wrestlers plus Cody Goodwin.  They also had Will Clark, Paul Clark and Anthony Rinehart.  Pretty impressive team.  Maybe there would be a good chance 6 of those 8 could have made the podium this year.  Maybe not.

I guess you failed to see that they added 100 wrestlers to the event. They added basically 10 teams such as Center Grove, that increases the depth tremendously.

Being a DI commit doesn't mean squat as I saw many not make the podium this past weekend including four Indiana kids.