Arguments for Best Wrestlers in Indiana hx to not SQ

3H3

-(Out of respect for the wrestlers discussed herein I will not name drop)

I was informed by my buddy that spent 20 in the Core that multiple times throughout the years my name has appeared here in discussions for Best ever to not go to State. Those who think that may or may not be right but I feel I'm certainly in the argument.I have not been on this discussion forum in over 20 years but saw those today and wanted to give my thoughts about that as well as other thoughts in regards to my career and the way its remembered

but first here's why I think I can be considered:

-I defeated the State Champion 3x with Noone else beating him that year. He dominated the State Tournament 

-I set the Jeffersonville High School Single Season Takedown Record and Career Pins record, even as I humbly state, accruing more than many past State place winners and even State Champions. That is how I wanted to leave my legacy behind in my own way. People look and say he didn't win the State but what's this, he has two school records he must have been really tough. 

- I defeated in ISWA competition both of the individuals I lost to my Senior year. One I tech falled and beat by several points on a few occasions and the other I beat 9-1

-The guy I lost to my Freshman year of ticket round I also pinned later on in ISWA competition. I was in ticket round 4 years in a row

- Senior year I beat the guy who took Fourth 12-1. I beat a State Qualifier who bumped up after wrestling me 8-1, another 8-1, another 5-1. Overall, I can't count how many SQ's or Placer I beat but it was well over 10

- I pinned a 4x Kentucky State Champion, who ranked number one in the State of Kentucky and I number 1 in Indiana when we faced each other, twice that season

-Overall, something like 70 or 80 percent of the losses that I had. I had also beaten that wrestler

-I won an AAU Ironman National Title and beat out two previous State Champions, one a 2 time, for that title 

-ISWA State Champion and multiple time Fargo team with some wins

-Member of maybe the first ever Cadet National Duals Champions team in 1998 where I won multiple matches and some key ones

-I walked on at IU after 4 years in the Marines and was on a team of 2 NCAA Champions and multiple Qualifiers and proudly can say I started as a freshman and garnered pins and a pin in Assembly Hall and going through four years in the Marine Corps and returning to the mat accomplishing that, was significant to me. I was in a newspaper article for IU in the Hoosier Spotlight. I know that most of the guys I pounded with on a daily basis know I'm tough and some of them are really Elite wrestlers

-I won four conference titles which jas inly been done one other time in the history of my hs, 2 regional, one of those defeating the State Champion. 2 Sectional and every other seasonal tournament at least twice including the 32 team Spartan Classic

-Today I've place in Folkstyle Nationals getting third place within the last few years and am still active wrestling and able to beat a lot of good to great wrestlers. I plan to keep wrestling till I can't anymore. I also practice Shotokan Kaeate and have a long resume of service I'm proud to say. I'm a winner in life and a Champion on the mat. 

I want to say as a bit of my own defense then. I don't look back on my career with thoughts of failure. Now, today, I look back as a success. Well, because it was, I won 130 something matches and set school records. I went on to become a successful man in large part bc of wrestling. So, the way people may remember me isn't the way I remember me. Although it's endearing to be considered in that discussion. Im way more actually.I'm actually very much proud of my career over all for the otherwise stated information herein. However, it is what it is, I remain humble as well in that I did come up short. But I also had many triumphs. I'd say if I had some more building foundation in the approach mentally to every match and how to deal with pressure, which I later learned, I may have been at least a one timer. I feel I could beat anyone in the State on any given day my Junior or Senior year. However, no excuses, and I take nothing away from those men that earned it. Now, I've said my peace On the matter. 20 years later. Thank you for your time and considering me in that discussion I humbly say. It's endearing. Though it's not like how I'd want to be remembered. As I now train my young son. I will want him to know who his father is and was which is not someone who failed but is a triumph in many ways.

I know I was on par or even better than some guys who won the State because behind the scenes and on the mat both I won against a lot of them. The difference is that a lot of those guys had brothers or fathers or some type of very experienced guide to help them psychologically as well as mentors. I didn't really have that. Not to teach me some of the lessons I've learned that I needed back then. I was largely left on my own to learn all my lessons. When the State tournament came around and I was undefeated and ranked in the top of the State. Guys were watching film of me and scouting me and talking about how to beat me. I know that for a fact. They had mentors to tell them this is how you need to think about this come tourney time and maximize their potential Me, I had all this skill and potential but I didn't Hone it in the way that sort of close mentor can teach a kid. Ive since learned that and learned from that. So those that I mentor I won't let that happen to them. I know I was on par or even better than some guys who won the State because behind the scenes and on the mat both I won against a lot of them. The difference is that a lot of those guys had brothers or fathers or some type of very experienced guide to help them psychologically as well as mentors. I didn't really have that. Not to teach me some of the lessons I've learned that I needed back then. I was largely left on my own to learn all my lessons. When the State tournament came around and I was undefeated and ranked in the top of the State. Guys were watching film of me and scouting me and talking about how to beat me. I know that for a fact. They had mentors to tell them this is how you need to think about this come tourney time and maximize their potential Me, I had all this skill and potential but I didn't Hone it in the way that sort of close mentor can teach a kid. Ive since learned that and learned from that. So those that I mentor I won't let that happen to them. 

Edited by 3H3

2 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Nice resume, but my vote personally goes to any Indiana wrestler who can absolutely take it to Mark Hall and make him work for a comeback victory.

I truly have never seen the fear in Hall's eyes like that fateful day... It's what dreams are made of... Ramos who?

Hunter,

I remember you, I think, you wrestled Joey Harris (Sullivan) before. 

Thanks for going in depth on your stats and thanks for your service to the US Navy! LOL. I kid I kid

Who did you lose to in each of your ticket round matches? 

130 pounds

Bye – Clint Leek, Princeton

Casey Seitzinger, Whiteland vs. Bobby Hennessy, Avon

Abraham, Garcia, Ben Davis vs. Hunter Hughes, Jeffersonville

Bye – Joey Harris, Sullivan

Bye – Tanner Yates, Center Grove

Jordan Smyth, Plainfield vs. Matt Conkling, Evansville Mater Dei

Ross Titzer, Evans. Memorial vs. Knudt Hanson, Owen Valley

Bye – Terrell Coatie, Perry Meridian

Just curious.. Who did you lose to at regionals? By the looks of this bracket from the IHSAA website, you would have lost to Center Grove or Perry Meridian but they both seem far away. Princeton makes sense but that's a good drive as well. 

Thank you. Again, no excuses. I was beaten and they earned those victories. Having said that though I feel that I had the potential to beat each one each year. And in fact had beaten a couple of them before. I'm not sure still today how to explain it but it was a lack of being able to calm down in that round and wrestle to my full potential. It is what it is. All you can do is learn and move on I'm Not Looking Back on just that one thing though. Overall I had a great career I certainly learned from it and built on it and did even greater things

I was really just a kid. I had a heck of a lot of potential and skill but it needed to be developed further and disciplined. I think people saw when that Talent got going sometimes and was on display.Against some really tough kids and then they thought he is my pick. I could have just quit after falling short but I didn't I kept going and High School wasn't the end for me. Also I mean no disrespect to my coach and those who helped develop me as a wrestler they were great mentors. But what I'm saying is if you look at a lot of state champions they have a special relationship with someone who has had similar experiences and can coach them through something like I had to get through. That's what I mean. For example Tanner Yates has an older brother that wrestled in college. My friend Adam Doherty who won the state twice has a family of Brothers. Those types of relationships are super important and can be very impactful especially against a kid who may not have that.

That's why I tried to stay off here for so long because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings on here or cause problems with people that I have a high degree of respect for. I have nothing but the greatest respect for competitors whether I won or lost so I please say don't anyone take it personally just discussing my past history it's nothing personal that's why I left names out of it My friend told me about threads that had me in that conversation I saw them and decided to post it. That's it. It's a discussion board and I'm discussing my past history over a subject sorry if you don't like my thread. Just wanted to say my peace

I will say that I feel like even on my worst day of wrestling I could have gotten into the state finals in any other draw. And even on my worst day I was in the top seven in the state that year. On my best day when I'm hitting my style of wrestling and I'm efficient with my style of wrestling I'm a state champion both years. Truthfully and honestly that's what caliber of a wrestler I was. It didn't work out that way and that's okay I'm not going to let it defeat me and didn't let it defeat me

Edited by 3H3

9 hours ago, 3H3 said:

Even on my worst day of wrestling my senior year any other draw

Trust me Hunter I feel the same EXACT way. 3 out of the 4 years at semi state I drew the state champ in the ticket round. The one year I didn't I just got caught in a move that I was one of the best at but didn't know how to stop it either. This was a long time ago but all I know is there wasn't even 5 guys better than us in any year yet along 16. It bothered me for about 5-10 years after that I didn't make it but then I started focusing on the positives it had on me. Back then regional was insane compared to now. I literally wrestled top 3 in state guys just to make it out of the first round. And I know you had crazy matches also first 2 rounds.. I've had my name come up several times over the years also. I don't say too much about it anymore. If the guys that know us want to talk for us then that's the best compliment we could ask for.. good luck with your kid and I hope you can coach him to get to do all the things we didn't get to experience. Just for fun posting a few guys in our lineup one year there was no team in the entire state that could compete with our 6 studs. But if course we had forfeits rest the weight classes pretty much. 

Adam Doherty

Hunter Hughes

Joe Pinnick

Josh Stith

Wes Koch

Robert Rosbottom 

Hope your doing well.