Arguments for Best Wrestlers in Indiana hx to not SQ

3H3

31 minutes ago, BestSportEver said:

Trust me Hunter I feel the same EXACT way. 3 out of the 4 years at semi state I drew the state champ in the ticket round. The one year I didn't I just got caught in a move that I was one of the best at but didn't know how to stop it either. This was a long time ago but all I know is there wasn't even 5 guys better than us in any year yet along 16. It bothered me for about 5-10 years after that I didn't make it but then I started focusing on the positives it had on me. Back then regional was insane compared to now. I literally wrestled top 3 in state guys just to make it out of the first round. And I know you had crazy matches also first 2 rounds.. I've had my name come up several times over the years also. I don't say too much about it anymore. If the guys that know us want to talk for us then that's the best compliment we could ask for.. good luck with your kid and I hope you can coach him to get to do all the things we didn't get to experience. Just for fun posting a few guys in our lineup one year there was no team in the entire state that could compete with our 6 studs. But if course we had forfeits rest the weight classes pretty much. 

Adam Doherty

Hunter Hughes

Joe Pinnick

Josh Stith

Wes Koch

Robert Rosbottom 

Hope your doing well. 

Tough lineup 🔥 

Joe that's four state championships from two wrestlers and three wrestlers who beat a state champion in that group. A lot of awesome stuff to remember and look back on and be proud of

Hope you're doing well as well. Tell your family hi for me.

Edited by 3H3

I think this is good stuff for the kid’s wrestling now. Being able to finally express how tough, mentally this sort of thing can be on kids. We all know a kid or two that has faced this stuff. You know everyone can’t be a state champ. More aren’t champions than are. Coping with this is tough for adults let alone high school age. 

This thread is simply discussing thoughts about the argument that was made for me being the best ever not to go to State. Ive delved i to my perspective.I've added that guys who fall short in IHSAA shouldn't let it hold them back nor define them. Or shouldn't let people undermine or lessen other stuff they do. I've added in some philosophy about what I could have done better and my opinion about the tournament that year. That's all it is. A discussion.

The longer you wrestle the more you will see the players who are maybe from a rival school or it may be something else who will try to downplay who you are if they aren't for you.Real question. If I beat a guy who was State Runner Up and who took 5th for an ISWA State Championship. Why is that downplayed and IHSAA more important ? You should be humble until you need to stand up and say no that's not who I am. That's my point. If you fall and we all do, don't let that define you, get right back up and go on to whatever is next full steam. Just as a wrestler at all everyone should be proud and keep their head up and always keep moving forward.

Some guys only look at hs wrestling in State Tournament. But there's a lot more. I promise.

Edited by 3H3

8 hours ago, Disco said:

I think this is good stuff for the kid’s wrestling now. Being able to finally express how tough, mentally this sort of thing can be on kids. We all know a kid or two that has faced this stuff. You know everyone can’t be a state champ. More aren’t champions than are. Coping with this is tough for adults let alone high school age. 

Yes. It can. I absolutely agree and these kids should never feel that way if they come up short and grinded as hard as they could.

1 hour ago, 3H3 said:

Yes. It can. I absolutely agree and these kids should never feel that way if they come up short and grinded as hard as they could.

Or they need to be guided a little better. On how to cope. It’s bound to happen with kids if they are really are vested in what hey are doing. I know I’ve been there on a few occasions with my three kids and did my best to ease some of my that disappointment. 

On 4/3/2023 at 10:46 AM, Caleb Spires said:

Nice resume, but my vote personally goes to any Indiana wrestler who can absolutely take it to Mark Hall and make him work for a comeback victory.

They say to this day that he won't even drink Hi-C because he has flashbacks of you shutting down his duck and keeping the overhook knowing directly into Your high crotch! The best part was the foreshadowing whenever your cameraman/fans said that you were going to post the video on Indiana mat. Since i've been training guys in MMA and lost almost 30 pounds over the last year, i'm thinking about getting into the masters b division at freestyle state 88kg/194pounds. At least I'm not 214 Thicky Blobby like I was whenever I blew the entire match lead that I had with three seconds to go at Midwest Nationals in the college open division as a grandpa LOL

With her being so many pay-per-view wrestling cards now and got me thinking that we should organize something where there's  studs within the state who agreed to face each other in a preseason meet all star esque tourney.

Have a few coach versus coaches grudge matches in the name of friendly competition! The General Vs Maker Halls Maker with the match being whatever agreed upon style you guys choose. If it's full style y'all should do 2-1-1 and if it's freestyle y'all should do 2x2, or whatever you guys upon! If we can't get that set up with the Dual we can't have it arranged and I have a mutual coach/gym host it and ref. And the proceeds of selling the stream or that people in attendance would go to the club who hosts it or whatever else we can think up. I like how there was Crown point All Stars versus Da region a few years back and wish we could get something like that going again with a few  bonus coaching exhibitions. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

To add to what I just said we had scouted Rossbottom if he were to wrestle Debusk. It was a very good match but that Rossbottom guy was something special back then. Debusk actually pinned Janikowski from EMD the next weekend at Team State. From what I can remember Rossbottom and Janikowski met in the ticket round at Semi State because Rossbottom was upset by the kid from New Albany. 

Thats right. Yes Robert was a machine so that tells you how tough Minton was too. So yeah theres another example of how brutal that SS can be with Jankowski and Rosbottom You are talking about Steve Minton. It was his teammate that won the State in my weight class. That I beat 3x, final time in Regional, and noone else did and he went on to win the State pretty convincingly. New Albany had some great ones that year too. There's another one named Joe Coffee from New Albany that was undefefeated. He was really tough too. Sucked a ton of weight got beat, but he was better than that. Thanks. 

I lost to a Roncalli kid.The younger Huser brother.He stopped me from getting a Takedown at least 4 times when I was really really close. The crowd for me yelling two on a couple occasions. Then like a dumbie I called a second injury and they gave him another down choice. He got a second escape and held me off. Everything over just like that.I cut pretty hard and am not going to lie that opening round challenge I was not recouped yet. He had a good strategy. It is what it is. No excuses. If I could go back I would just have gotten big like FS season and probably beaten badly a lot more kids and been a different animal like then.Another friend of mine who changed his approach and just got big his senior year won it all after getting upset 3 years in a row. He learned but I was a knuckle head. I don't believe in cutting a lot of weight simply from those experiences. I didn't in college. I competed with with some really Elite wrestlers at the college level. Multiple time State Champions and held my own for sure and won some matches for IU. So that further goes to show what my pedigree really was.I will say when I was fully recouped and ready to go. I was a beast.For example, the Regional final where I was the last and only person to beat the State Champion. Another crazy fact for that year. Mitch Robb went on to win the State. But he also had to win a double OT match to just get in to the State against Tanner Yates. So, to say the least, that ticket round that year was bedlam in that building.

Edited by 3H3

There was another guy named Josh Stith on our team who was the only guy in the State to beat Josh Holden, who was outstanding and also won the State. Josh Stith could throw anybody. I mean anybody

Edited by 3H3

""It was his teammate that won the State in my weight class. That I beat 3x, final time in Regional, and noone else did and he went on to win the State pretty convincingly. New Albany"

yes. I had battles with STATE CHAMPION Mitch Robb also. Along with wrestling Mr freak Joey Coffey. I've hung out with them several times since. And to be honest it was them and Teammate Adam Doherty that helped me get over this years ago. Was told several times that I was the quickest he's ever wrestled and one of the best. That's the best compliment I coulda ever gotten and made me feel like my wrestling career wasn't a failure. If anyone knows if someone is tough or not it would be a DOMINANT state champ like Mitch and Adam was..2 of my all time favorite wrestlers and people. this stuff is just fun to talk about sometimes. This is such an amazing sport..

Joe, I can honestly say you were a heck of an athlete that's for sure. There's no doubt that that made all of us tougher was your athleticism and quickness. And you're wrestling and style of wrestling was one of the best in the state No Doubt. You had a some moves that were really really good and could score on anybody and beat a lot of great wrestlers

Yeah the Marine Corps will help you get over it pretty quick  too.Lol. 

Edited by 3H3

2 hours ago, BestSportEver said:

""It was his teammate that won the State in my weight class. That I beat 3x, final time in Regional, and noone else did and he went on to win the State pretty convincingly. New Albany"

yes. I had battles with STATE CHAMPION Mitch Robb also. Along with wrestling Mr freak Joey Coffey. I've hung out with them several times since. And to be honest it was them and Teammate Adam Doherty that helped me get over this years ago. Was told several times that I was the quickest he's ever wrestled and one of the best. That's the best compliment I coulda ever gotten and made me feel like my wrestling career wasn't a failure. If anyone knows if someone is tough or not it would be a DOMINANT state champ like Mitch and Adam was..2 of my all time favorite wrestlers and people. this stuff is just fun to talk about sometimes. This is such 

Noone else beat him that year