EC Observations

Regionrat1

13 hours ago, Jimmypock said:

I’ll get back to you. I have lots of thoughts. 

Out of respect, I gave you the time you needed.  I didn't want you to hurt yourself, clearly thinking is not your strong suit.

It appears you feel like your team in the 90's didn't get the credit they deserved in beating CP.  Let me apologize for everyone and say congrats.  

Have you had the opportunity to voice your opinion to Vlink in person, either back in the 90's or the 30 years since to present day?  I have a healthy respect for the man, he's no joke.  If you get the opportunity, please let me know, I'd love to be a witness.

There is a lot here. 

As a fan of the Region I don’t expect the traditional powers in the region to like each other. I think that’s what has made the region tough Hobart hates Portage, this should be a standing dual and alumni night. Merrillville and CP shouldn’t like each other.  I think a good rivalry drives the other teams to get better.

its the region we all hate each other until we get to Indy then we basically hate everyone.  

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

As the representative of the logansport regional. What are your thoughts when you journey to the backbone of indiana known as the region? 

1st of all the Logansport regional appreciates the Region members fanatically and spiritingly  wearing their local high school gear to help us identify them so we can respond with our respectful polite obligatory "Yes Sir and Thank You".  2nd- Dang Crown Point put them self together a nasty team, and we appreciate their strong Indiana  "Top 10"respresentation at the national level.  Not sure how they put that much talent together one one spot, but home grown or via free agency.  But its not that uncommon this day and age, and good coaching attracts talent.   Other schools in Indy get the same criticism.   3rd- I think we love the competitive wrestling rivalries in the Region Even though it might get a little petty and juvenile as manifested on Indianamat,  if it gets people watching and interested that's good for wrestling.  You got to appreciate the Brickies chip on the shoulder.  4th- The Logansport regional doesnt get much press anymore on Indianamat,  as some of the crazy dads moved on "see Unknown Wrestler",  but I think the community is trying to keep a low profile, so maybe to sneak up on the Region guys and snag a win or two.    Based on state qualifiers, a little down this year with 6 qualifiers below the historical average of 7.5.   But Ill call out that there's some really good coaches in the area putting work in.  Look what Renssalear Central built up the last few years.   McCutcheon had its best year in while with two qualifiers, and they have a lot back next year and will be dangerous.   Just an under the radar warning.   Faith Christian might qualify for the 1A state tournament next year,  a relatively new program.    Harrison always puts out a good team.   West Central and Winamac continue to compete  well.     Ill also mention, I talked to former  stud Purdue wrestler Logan Brown this weekend, and his club is happening and growing and is based out of Harrison.  Also, saw Jeremiah who runs Rhyno wrestling academy, and his club has grown and is very competitive.  The good news is stuff is happening at the youth level.  Give it a few years, and I think well see some surprises coming out of the Logansport Regional.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

I would say the Logansport regional is continuing to build a stronger group of wrestlers, only 6 qualifiers this year (reminder I took the over on the previous 5 predicted!!) but 4 of those 6 return next year leaving a better group to continue to build from. Also, 3 of those 6 have qualified multiple times. 

This past season Rensselaer qualified for 2A team state and West Central and Winamac participated in 1A. 

McCutcheon currently sits in 9th place in the 3A team state race for next year and returns 5 ticket rounders, two who qualified this year. Rensselaer is in 12th in 2A and Faith is in 12th for 1A - the regional could be represented at 3 of the four team states next year. The regional only has 2 4A schools, Harrison - who has 2 qualifiers, one 2x who returns for his senior year next year, and Lafayette Jeff. 

While the Logansport regional doesn't have the firepower of the other regionals I can see them finally getting double digit wrestlers through next year. 

Edited by CoachM

Could you imagine how much tougher the EC Semi State would be if some of our studs did not cross state lines and wrestler for Alex at Mt. Carmel.  To think that he is building a powerhouse in Illinois with Region talent just shows you how tough the region is in wrestling.

9 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

I believe this post is going to make for an exciting Wednesday. 

Pretty dead my fellow rat -looking forward in drivin da Brinks 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:55 PM, Jimmypock said:

Merrillville: Turkey Bar = grabbing your turkey guts when it counts, good job coach.

Crown Point:  hey some parents just met each other last year..lol.. sucks they will never be a real community

Hobart: loudest, most obnoxious crowd at EC. 

EC: can we get a PA that works??? We can’t hear poop. 

Officials: can’t take back 2 takedown after calling near-fall in sudden death OT. 

Community Feel?  I have lived in 3 towns in Lake County growing up and Crown Point is definitely a community.  Shoot I think there was 200 people waiting in the square after Jesse won Who's #1.  Guess you just have to be part of it to know the feeling.  

Coaches are top notch as well.  They not only cared about his wrestling success, but him as a person.  We definitely felt the love from community and the coaches.  

4 minutes ago, McWrastlePants said:

My EC observations. 

1. Not enough upsets, but the wrastlin was great

2. The "trainers" were not prepared.  Next time hire actual athletic trainers because they will actually have nose plugs.

EC did not contract any trainers. The trainers that were on site  were there specifically supporting their own school. There was a fireman on site doing their best, even borrowing nose plugs from some of the schools. The tournament directors did their best with the cards they were dealt. Were there actually any EC coaches, team personnel or parents there helping out? It’s a good venue but no matter how much help you get from outside sources, you still need help from the actual people running the building. 

Kudos to our Mishawaka Trainer Hannah Hess who traveled to EC to support the Cavemen wrestlers and spent all day as a volunteer working the event and helping everyone's wrestlers.  Saw her at the end of the day and she looked more exhausted than our boys that competed.  Great job Hannah...way to represent.

10 hours ago, CoachM said:

I would say the Logansport regional is continuing to build a stronger group of wrestlers, only 6 qualifiers this year (reminder I took the over on the previous 5 predicted!!) but 4 of those 6 return next year leaving a better group to continue to build from. Also, 3 of those 6 have qualified multiple times. 

This past season Rensselaer qualified for 2A team state and West Central and Winamac participated in 1A. 

McCutcheon currently sits in 9th place in the 3A team state race for next year and returns 5 ticket rounders, two who qualified this year. Rensselaer is in 12th in 2A and Faith is in 12th for 1A - the regional could be represented at 3 of the four team states next year. The regional only has 2 4A schools, Harrison - who has 2 qualifiers, one 2x who returns for his senior year next year, and Lafayette Jeff. 

While the Logansport regional doesn't have the firepower of the other regionals I can see them finally getting double digit wrestlers through next year. 

it’s a tough time for everyone the Cp regional is dominate. The CP regional won every weight except for the 3 Mishawaka titles. 

I agree I think there are some good things going on at logansport, Harrison also solid, Rensselaer Hickman is building, I am impressed with what Mccutcheon is doing.

I do think it would benefit the logansport regional to wrestle up north more, maybe try to jump in Al smith, Triacoff, TC etc I know mccutcheon is at harvest and Harrison is at Tom Cameron. 

My thoughts (however meaningless)......

EC Semi-State deserves a BETTER VENUE..  Compare to where each of the other 3 semi-states are held...  EC Year in and year out is arguably the TOUGHEST semi-state in Indiana up and down COMPLETELY but yet it can't be held in a facility that is of the same level?  instead we get older people working that think they are the police and yelling at parents whom are recording their kids from the corners of the balcony. threatening to have them kicked out or arrested....  COMPLETE NONSENSORY...  

THE REGION SEMI-STATE DESERVES BETTER...   ENOUGH SAID....   

34 minutes ago, Tenser310 said:

EC Semi-State deserves a BETTER VENUE..  Compare to where each of the other 3 semi-states are held...  EC Year in and year out is arguably the TOUGHEST semi-state in Indiana up and down COMPLETELY but yet it can't be held in a facility that is of the same level?  instead we get older people working that think they are the police and yelling at parents whom are recording their kids from the corners of the balcony. threatening to have them kicked out or arrested....  COMPLETE NONSENSORY...  

I believe the EC gym is the 2nd largest or 3rd largest gym in the state and/or country.   Not sure you could find a better place to hold an Indiana high school semi-state.  Those of us that have been around a while remember the Merrillville days.  Ran well but that first two rounds were  tough.  If you didn't get there an hour early you were not getting a seat.  Sure maybe they could use more training on how to control the crowd.  But the size and space of that gym are impressive.  Hopefully, EC staff are on here and listen to you and others.

16 minutes ago, VisionQuest87 said:

I believe the EC gym is the 2nd largest or 3rd largest gym in the state and/or country.   Not sure you could find a better place to hold an Indiana high school semi-state.  Those of us that have been around a while remember the Merrillville days.  Ran well but that first two rounds were  tough.  If you didn't get there an hour early you were not getting a seat.  Sure maybe they could use more training on how to control the crowd.  But the size and space of that gym are impressive.  Hopefully, EC staff are on here and listen to you and others.

The gym size is fine, if you come as a spectator its has plenty of room. But the floor for the wrestlers is the biggest issue. Having one set of small bleachers pulled out on the floor just makes for a hectic packed day. The floor space is the biggest issue, along with the poor PA system and workers who seem to be obsessed with the power of telling people what to do. Compared to every other semi state, EC definitely needs some upgrades.

2 hours ago, Tenser310 said:

You can add the geographic location within the semi-state is not ideal.    Its a longer drive for a lot of schools to drive to its not so centralized location being on the extreme east end of the state.   Not that big of a point, but some of the fans in the southern part the semi state have a two hour drive.     On the flip side and more importantly, the Taco place down the street is real good.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

2 hours ago, Banks said:

The gym size is fine, if you come as a spectator its has plenty of room. But the floor for the wrestlers is the biggest issue. Having one set of small bleachers pulled out on the floor just makes for a hectic packed day. The floor space is the biggest issue, along with the poor PA system and workers who seem to be obsessed with the power of telling people what to do. Compared to every other semi state, EC definitely needs some upgrades.

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

You can add the geographic location within the semi-state is not ideal.    Its a longer drive for a lot of schools to drive to its not so centralized location being on the extreme east end of the state.   Not that big of a point, but some of the fans in the southern part the semi state have a two hour drive.     On the flip side and more importantly, the Taco place down the street is real good.

Oh yeah I forgot about the PA system.  They need to get that fixed.  Can not understand why you have an awesome video display (which probably cost a small fortune) and poor PA system.

I can understand the geographic location issue, but the good thing is that southern part of the semi-state is on eastern time and gain an hour (i think that is the way it works).  If you leave Lafayette at 7:00 it is actually 6:00 in EC.  That helps.  

Yes you can find a lot of great Taco places within a few minutes of the gym.