Team State

mathewsz7

Semi related question, is Fox Sports Indiana only associated with the IHSAA? Be neat for people who may not be able to attend or live in other parts of the country to watch or record this. Also would be great exposure to the team aspect of the sport. Track has feeds, but not all family or friends would be capable of using it.

Great questions from the above gentleman. I have one of my own regarding the seeding process at Team State. Are teams seeded based on current rankings within each class? Or does other factors come into consideration such as strength of schedule, quality wins/matches, etc.? Thanks

Great questions from the above gentleman. I have one of my own regarding the seeding process at Team State. Are teams seeded based on current rankings within each class? Or does other factors come into consideration such as strength of schedule, quality wins/matches, etc.? Thanks

Seeding is done based on all the factors you mention.  Seeding and draw will take place next week so that as much information as possible about each team can be gathered through this weekend's results.  By the way, the guy who heads the seeding group also does the duals rankings, so you can start to get some idea already.  His duals rankings already include deep research into exact results, injuries, opponents' quality, etc.  But he works with a group to do seeding and they take it up a notch for that process to dig into matchup breakdowns and everything else to try to figure out how teams should be expected to place.  They've been highly accurate the past few years and I expect they'll do amazingly well again.

Just wondering....

Are logistical considerations taken into consideration as far as placing the teams into brackets? I understand seeding, but a scenario could be foreseen where seeding wise you could have Portage-Penn-CP in same pod based on seeding possibly. Same with say EMD-Castle-Avon just going off the power poll. Would different regions be interspersed just to provide some non familiar matchups logistically speaking?

Just wondering....

Are logistical considerations taken into consideration as far as placing the teams into brackets? I understand seeding, but a scenario could be foreseen where seeding wise you could have Portage-Penn-CP in same pod based on seeding possibly. Same with say EMD-Castle-Avon just going off the power poll. Would different regions be interspersed just to provide some non familiar matchups logistically speaking?

I don't think that a team should be moved just because they may see a team that they have matched up with before. If the teams earn those seeds, then you have to stick to them. Picking and choosing match ups will result in the seeding process being worthless. If Brownsburg gets the 4 seed and Avon gets the 5. Then they should battle it out in the pool rounds. Just my opinion. Edited by Mattyb

Agreed

I agree too, but you can do a couple simple pre-determined things after teams are seeded and drawn to move unseeded teams among themselves without eliminating the random element, while also moving away from most regional/conference/rematch situations in the pool rounds. It was announced last year post-event that this would be part of the bracketing process this year. 

Edited by maligned

Awesome, so based off the latest rankings for 3A

1. Brownsburg

8. Warren Central

2. Avon

7. Penn

3. Mater Dei

6. Castle

4. Perry

5. Portage

Unseeded

Carroll

Chesterton

Crown Point

Columbus East

So with that said and what you guys are saying, the 4-5 pool would add Carroll since both Chesterton and Crown Point are in the DAC with Portage and Columbus East has already wrestled Perry. So much for being "random."  

Did I not recall there may be consideration in avoiding rematches in the first round?  I know there was at least a school or 2 last year that weren't happy to travel all the way there only to face a local rival or a team they had already faced.

The task set before our committee was to seed teams based on merit 1-8. Final four teams to be drawn completely randomly and placed. 

Decisions like that should come after thorough discussion by the organizers of the event, not the seeding committee. 

Sorry, I may have jumped the gun.  I thought it was announced that there would be geographic considerations following the random draw.  I understood that there would be some sort of pre-determined post-draw rematch avoidance process.  

So with that said and what you guys are saying, the 4-5 pool would add Carroll since both Chesterton and Crown Point are in the DAC with Portage and Columbus East has already wrestled Perry. So much for being "random."  

You're right.  If seeds stayed exactly like this and a random draw followed by a systematic "if necessary" switching process were done, Carroll would always land in that grouping since all other combos would lead to rematches.  The other 3 unseeded teams could fall into any other pool. It's unlikely seeds end up exactly like this, but the point remains. In 3A there are so many rematch possibilities every year, there have been some other situations like this in past years too if geographic considerations are used.  It's kind of a pick your poison thing: do we use random draw followed by rematch avoidance procedures, knowing there will be a situation like this every couple years where a team can land in only 1 or 2 pools, or do we ignore rematches and keep ending up with Perry vs. Cathedral every year when all these other interesting opponents are in the building?

Anyway, as I said, it seems I spoke too soon. I thought there had been a decision made on this. Sorry, decbell!  I'll do some checking so I'm not spouting untrue info. Nobody panic. :)

Any predictions on the drawings, potential team matchups . Where do the wild cards fall into each bracket ? I like Columbus East as a good wildcard. Could be a bracket buster in 3A.

Don't forget to watch Hangout tomorrow .

Edited by TeamGarcia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.