Injury times are out of control

Watching this Iowa vs Wisc dual and Rathjen takes injury time as he’s getting taken down.  Official gives the injury time, Rathjen continues after a short break and doesn’t give the 3 pt td.

Reminds me of one of my biggest issues watching wrestling this weekend.  Coaches allowing their kids to take a time out when the going gets tough.  Weak.  One of the countless things that separates wrestling from the stupid sports like basketball, no timeouts when it’s getting real, you have to deal with it.  

Dissapointing the programs that are ok with taking a breather for that mental break when adversity has set in.

53 minutes ago, Chris Cooper said:

Watching this Iowa vs Wisc dual and Rathjen takes injury time as he’s getting taken down.  Official gives the injury time, Rathjen continues after a short break and doesn’t give the 3 pt td.

Reminds me of one of my biggest issues watching wrestling this weekend.  Coaches allowing their kids to take a time out when the going gets tough.  Weak.  One of the countless things that separates wrestling from the stupid sports like basketball, no timeouts when it’s getting real, you have to deal with it.  

Dissapointing the programs that are ok with taking a breather for that mental break when adversity has set in.

100% I made this point earlier this year in a post. 

6 hours ago, Sawyer Miller said:

Brownsburg had a wrestler take injury time every single match this weekend. He would signal injury time and then converse with coaches and get a drink. After 45 seconds of he was good to go again.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice this... shame to see it out of the team champs too

22 hours ago, Sawyer Miller said:

Brownsburg had a wrestler take injury time every single match this weekend. He would signal injury time and then converse with coaches and get a drink. After 45 seconds of he was good to go again.

Yep, he took injury time in his match with my son when he was in jeopardy of getting turned and he clearly wasn't injured. It shouldn't be allowed to happen. And before anyone says "It's good strategy" - it's not. It's lying. My kid may have lost the match, but at least he did it on his feet with his integrity intact. 

36 minutes ago, MountieMod said:

Yep, he took injury time in his match with my son when he was in jeopardy of getting turned and he clearly wasn't injured. It shouldn't be allowed to happen. And before anyone says "It's good strategy" - it's not. It's lying. My kid may have lost the match, but at least he did it on his feet with his integrity intact. 

I am assuming you are talking about Caden. He has a torn quad tendon that he wrestled with all season. His knee popped out in every match of the finals as well as multiple matches this season. They pop it back in and he wrestles like a warrior. 

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

1 minute ago, HWTDAD said:

I am assuming you are talking about Caden. He has a torn quad tendon that he wrestled with all season. His knee popped out in every match of the finals as well as multiple matches this season. They pop it back in and he wrestles like a warrior. 

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Sheesh. Props to him for wrestling through that.

24 minutes ago, HWTDAD said:

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Thats a very nice visual.   Thanks for that.  I dont feel like having my afternoon snack now.

24 minutes ago, HWTDAD said:

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

1 hour ago, MountieMod said:

Why talk about kids injuries, what they do during injury time, what they did in matches, their integrity ? 
Pretty sure 99.9% of all the wrestlers at State is dealing with some injuries. 
SMH… I don’t get it . 

On 2/18/2024 at 2:45 PM, Sawyer Miller said:

Sometimes he took multiple injury times in the same match.  I can’t decide if I respect his gameplay or loath it. 

2 hours ago, HWTDAD said:

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

I think his brother was trying to make knee look like that with his low and very wrong ranking. Hopefully he has a quick recovery, great kid and family 

On 2/18/2024 at 2:45 PM, Sawyer Miller said:

I know it's frustrating, but at CP we have learned to embrace it.  We have had the opportunity to wrestler Bburg at Team State duals the past few years and instead of getting upset about the excessive injury timeout/water breaks, we have turned into a drinking game.

• IT/WB called to take a breather - you take one drink
  • IT/WB called just as a take down is about to happen - you take two drinks
  • IT/WB called just as they are about to be put on their back - you take three drinks

We get hammered at these duals now!

6 hours ago, HWTDAD said:

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Man, I don’t know how a high school kid gets medical clearance to compete with an injury like that. I’m all for being tough and wrestling through the hurt, but that seems over the top. Good luck walking without significant pain after 30.

Also, back to the original point, this will inevitably lead to an injury time call in every match. Hard to watch.

30 minutes ago, Grenadier2012 said:

Man, I don’t know how a high school kid gets medical clearance to compete with an injury like that. I’m all for being tough and wrestling through the hurt, but that seems over the top. Good luck walking without significant pain after 30.

Also, back to the original point, this will inevitably lead to an injury time call in every match. Hard to watch.

Didn’t want this to be known,  but now the cats out of the bag. The injury occurred again over the summer late. The choice was to fix it and miss the season or to tape it up and try to grind it and repair it after season. He chose to wrestle as it couldn’t get any worse and to get it fixed now (after season). With that said, it popped out and back in Friday night. It freaked him out. It was slipping all weekend. If he doesn’t set it when it slips, it can go all the way out. Long story short, he didn’t make it through his placement match and we were ok with what he accomplished this season. 

With all of this said…  He has wrestled CP 4 times. Cruz twice and Will Clark twice. You guys never had a single drink during those losses. Never took injury against those monsters. 

Lastly.. if you are questioning the toughness or integrity of my kid.. you have never met him or the rest of my family. We don’t roll like that. Feel free to call and discuss.

The author of this post @Chris Coopercan attest for how tough my boys are. My oldest wrestled for him one summer. Busted his eye wide open at Disney. We glued it shut with super glue 5 times to ensure Columbus East got 6 every round. He still rocks his scar with honor. 

Proud of my son and proud of my state champs!!! 

Crazy how the only hate in this site over the last few days is directed to the big three. That’s the world we live in now… 10 years ago all you would see is love for kids and hard work. We live in a society where people hate everyone and everything. It’s just sad!!!!

Matt Brewer

317-201-0644

Edited by Mattyb

3 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Didn’t want this to be known,  but now the cats out of the bag. The injury occurred over the summer late. The choice was to fix it and miss the season or to tape it up and try to grind it and repair it after season. He chose to wrestle as it couldn’t get any worse and to get it fixed now (after season). With that said, it popped out and back in Friday night. It freaked him out. It was slipping all weekend. If he doesn’t set it when it slips, it can go all the way out. Long story short, he didn’t make it through his placement match and we were ok with what he accomplished this season. 

With all of this said…  He has wrestled CP 4 times. Cruz twice and Will Clark twice. You guys never had a single drink during those losses. Never took injury against those monsters. 

Lastly.. if you are questioning the toughness or integrity of my kid.. you have never met him or the rest of my family. We don’t roll like that. Feel free to call and discuss.

The author of this post @Chris Coopercan attest for how tough my boys are. My oldest wrestled for him one summer. Busted his eye wide open at Disney. We glued it shut with super glue 5 times to ensure Columbus East got 6 every round. He still rocks his scar with honor. 

Crazy how the only hate in this site over the last few days is directed to the big three. That’s the world we live in now… 10 years ago all you would see is love for kids and hard work. We live in a society where people hate everyone and everything. It’s just sad!!!!

Matt Brewer

317-201-0644

His injiry is disgusting and just shows his toughness, resilience and commitment to both team and individual commitment. What a warrior 

I’m going off what the original injury post said that it happened multiple times this year and he continued to wrestle with it and pop it back in. You’re also conflating my post with the CP poster. I’m just saying that’s a crazy injury to wrestle through and can’t imagine it won’t lead to chronic pain. I just question what we’re doing as a high school wrestling culture, as a whole, sometimes.

Tough. Yes, insanely tough. A great idea, maybe not if it’s coming out all the time, but what do I know, I’m not a doctor. 

29 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Didn’t want this to be known,  but now the cats out of the bag. The injury occurred again over the summer late. The choice was to fix it and miss the season or to tape it up and try to grind it and repair it after season. He chose to wrestle as it couldn’t get any worse and to get it fixed now (after season). With that said, it popped out and back in Friday night. It freaked him out. It was slipping all weekend. If he doesn’t set it when it slips, it can go all the way out. Long story short, he didn’t make it through his placement match and we were ok with what he accomplished this season. 

Matt Brewer

317-201-0644

Sorry your kid is experiencing this and no doubt he’s tough.  But please remember he’s not the only person that to injury time and it’s definitely not limited to State.  

47 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Matt Brewer

317-201-0644

49 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Matt Brewer

317-201-0644

You tell em Brew! Kid is a stud! 

16 hours ago, HWTDAD said:

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

To be clear, I did not direct hate at your son or call him out by name. My displeasure is with the rule and has been for years. I would question a program that would allow a wrestler to continue competing with an injury like this. I would also question the timing. If the injury time had been the result of wrestling actions, I could understand. But both times in our match, he was on bottom and about to get walked over....it is what it is. I guess if winning at all costs is the most important thing, then kudos to BB.

55 minutes ago, MountieMod said:

To be clear, I did not direct hate at your son or call him out by name. My displeasure is with the rule and has been for years. I would question a program that would allow a wrestler to continue competing with an injury like this. I would also question the timing. If the injury time had been the result of wrestling actions, I could understand. But both times in our match, he was on bottom and about to get walked over....it is what it is. I guess if winning at all costs is the most important thing, then kudos to BB.

Go back and watch the match was stopped because his knee was in a very weird position and the ref called it potentially dangerous. Injury did not stop it. The ref did. The hand on the head by a ref indicated potentially dangerous. The second stoppage was when your son got over 90 on the wing. Listen to the announcers. They said it was over 90 for a good while.  It wasn’t stopped due to injury. The one and only injury time was taken after he tried to stand up after the first ref stoppage and the knee jiggled. If there were multiple injury times your son would have gotten choice. 

it is what it is. But.. maybe watching the match again will clear things up . I’m done arguing about it. They both had great seasons. 

Here’s he match in question all. The one and only injury time took place when his injured knee got really bent up. If he won without integrity and doesn’t deserve the win.. then I’m sorry. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/people/9785325-caden-brewer/video?playing=12134938

Edited by Mattyb

12 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Go back and watch the match was stopped because your son got over 90 on the wing. Listen to the announcers. They said it was over 90 for a good while.  It wasn’t stopped due to injury. The one and only injury time was taken after he stood up and the knee jiggled after stoppage for the illegal wing.   If there were multiple injury times your son would have gotten choice. 

it is what it is. But.. maybe watching the match again will clear things up . I’m done arguing about it. They both had great seasons.

Again, my issue is with the rule and not personal. I'm sure your wrestler is a good kid. But if a wrestler is so injured that he has to call injury time in every single match, then IMO he should not be medically cleared to compete. And I don't think a high school wrestler competing with a serious Injury makes him a warrior, I think it makes him a victim. Different cultures I guess

Everyone can have an opinion on whether or not Caden should have wrestled with his knee injury....or whether or not Preston should have wrestled with his completely torn ACL.  At Brownsburg, we listen to doctors with medical degrees.  After meeting with multiple doctors (who have medical degrees and aren't googling it), both wrestlers were told they could push through the season if they chose....and get it fixed after the season.  It was their decision with guidance from their family.  We will continue to listen to people who get paid to be actual doctors.