Crown Point State weekend

On 2/16/2024 at 9:07 AM, DawgPoundRed said:

I have been telling everyone this year this Dogs team is special. 

The weekend is finally here to prove how great this team is. 

12 here, I am calling 11 medals I think we can put 8 under the lights I hope they have lights, 6 champs. It's going to be a great day to be a dog. Even the purple dogs will have a solid day. 

Just a heads up we will be better next year, so I think the team trophy is staying region 

I'll see you all on the Square for the celebration 

What time at the square?

Stipulated

• Crown Point has been on a different level, the entire season
  • CP has a bright yesterday, today and future.

Question- What happened?  i discount big stage, jitters, etcetera.  Part of what makes this team great is regular participation in high stakes matches.

Fact-  Their kids were not crisp; some looked sluggish and tired.

Two theories:

•  A  bug passed around the team
  • After five weeks of a weak conference tournament, followed by complete dominance in weak sectional, regionals and semi state; the Bulldogs lost their edge and got soft.  

The opposite scenario existed for CG, Avon and BB.  Look at the countenance and performance of their kids.

7 minutes ago, hook and half said:

Stipulated

• Crown Point has been on a different level, the entire season
  • CP has a bright yesterday, today and future.

Question- What happened?  i discount big stage, jitters, etcetera.  Part of what makes this team great is regular participation in high stakes matches.

Fact-  Their kids were not crisp; some looked sluggish and tired.

Two theories:

•  A  bug passed around the team
  • After five weeks of a weak conference tournament, followed by complete dominance in weak sectional, regionals and semi state; the Bulldogs lost their edge and got soft.  

The opposite scenario existed for CG, Avon and BB.  Look at the countenance and performance of their kids.

I’m glad someone posted this. I was wondering the same thing and agree with your assessment. Was it a bug? Do they suffer the consequences of dominating an entire region?  Not just CP, but several of the ECSS wrestlers just didn’t look as crisp.   I was wondering if the journey deep down state took something out of many of the athletes? I am not making any excuses, nor taking anything away from any of the athletes from other semi states. It was clear the ECSS, as a whole, underachieved. A testament to how strong the other semi states are this year. As a whole, makes wrestling in IN better. As a region rat, it stings.

CG, BB, and Avon looked so sharp. Razor sharp

CP had a season almost any team would love to have but will never get there.  And I'm a bit conflicted cause I love my region wrestlers.

However, I can only think of one word to describe their weekend,  choke.  And yes I know they are kids, and things happen.  And I won't talk about the kids.  But wow.  I will make a suggestion, my opinion, maybe it's the coaches.  I saw one assistant CP coach drinking his coffee matside during a quarter finals match.  I saw the head coach argue a call and the referee looking like thanks for verifying I made the right call.  He, coach, had no clue of the rules.  Saw that one up close and had to laugh about it.  Anyway congratulations CP on a great year.

I’ll get thrown over the coals for this- and admittedly I don’t know much- but maybe, just maybe, the grind that is the Southern part of the postseason tourney (Moorseville, EVSS) had BB and CG ready to go (iron sharpens iron type of thing) 

And conversely, maybe the 3 week cake-walk of a postseason CP enjoyed had their egos a little inflated?? And that’s not a dig- I mean,  it’s only human nature.

35 minutes ago, jets said:

I’ll get thrown over the coals for this- and admittedly I don’t know much- but maybe, just maybe, the grind that is the Southern part of the postseason tourney (Moorseville, EVSS) had BB and CG ready to go (iron sharpens iron type of thing) 

And conversely, maybe the 3 week cake-walk of a postseason CP enjoyed had their egos a little inflated?? And that’s not a dig- I mean,  it’s only human nature.

The thing is, it really isn't the grind but more of guaranteeing that Brownsburg and Center Grove don't hit on Friday night or in the quarters. While it's great to get the guys to the show CP was guaranteed to hit an Evansville kid to get to the semi finals.

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The thing is, it really isn't the grind but more of guaranteeing that Brownsburg and Center Grove don't hit on Friday night or in the quarters. While it's great to get the guys to the show CP was guaranteed to hit an Evansville kid to get to the semi finals.

That makes sense

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This is the Jesse Mendez-Cole Solomey situation. After coming second to Mendez at sectionals, Solomey was guaranteed not to hit Mendez until the finals of Regionals. Keep coming second at regionals and semistate, and he was the only wrestler in the field who was absolutely guaranteed not to hit Mendez until the championship match, even before the draw. 

It may hurt your ego, but having a monster in your sectional or regional bracket guarantees that you will not see him early in the next week's round.

Besides CP and prior to this year, it looks like only BB and CG from 2023 scored higher team points than CP did yesterday using the current scoring model. 

If we include the 22 & 23 CP top 2 scores, this year CP snagged the 7th best team score ever. Not bad with only 4 seniors on your starting varsity (150, 175, 215 and 285). 

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This is easier to say for the weight classes coming out of evansville with only a good bburg and Cg kid but then you throw in the MD kid or occasional BD, Monrovia franklin is when The EVSS is by far the toughest. If you win EVSS your in good hands.

7 minutes ago, THECountyFan said:

This is easier to say for the weight classes coming out of evansville with only a good bburg and Cg kid but then you throw in the MD kid or occasional BD, Monrovia franklin is when The EVSS is by far the toughest. If you win EVSS your in good hands.

And Avon of course

For all of you guys keeping receipts on what I am guessing is a kid who is shaking up the board.
Do you think Crown Points coaches are going to keep these receipts and comments for if/when they are back on top. 

Coach Hawkins sent me a text this morning asking us to Ban @DawgPoundRed I’ll talk to Joe about it but I am not for censorship unless it’s something really offensive and not someone bragging on their squad 

everyone is celebrating CP failure and trying to minimize Brownsburg success. Cp didn’t lose a title The burg took that thing with 2 studs working on 4 titles, and if the rumor mill is correct they are adding another one 

real question 

how many people who are all worked up would take CP state finals this year(9 medals, a champ, a runner up, 12 qualifiers) for Their programs next 5 years? 

As a proud Calumet Alumni I would take that. 

we will announce on the state recap show what we decided 

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

For all of you guys keeping receipts on what I am guessing is a kid who is shaking up the board.
Do you think Crown Points coaches are going to keep these receipts and comments for if/when they are back on top. 

Coach Hawkins sent me a text this morning asking us to Ban @DawgPoundRed I’ll talk to Joe about it but I am not for censorship unless it’s something really offensive and not someone bragging on their squad 

everyone is celebrating CP failure and trying to minimize Brownsburg success. Cp didn’t lose a title The burg took that thing with 2 studs working on 4 titles, and if the rumor mill is correct they are adding another one 

real question 

how many people who are all worked up would take CP state finals this year(9 medals, a champ, a runner up, 12 qualifiers) for Their programs next 5 years? 

Mike, you guys run an awesome board.  I agree with your non-censorship posture.

Shade is cast on DogPound, not CP.  As is a long tradition on Indiana Mat, chest-beaters are susceptible to a verbal beat-down.  

This board does a great job of self-regulation.  A few years ago, a certain freshman from Hobart had a coach who would not/could not stop beating the drum.  It took the boy's mother to come on the board and call him out to end the madness.

"Adult" egos writing checks for kids to cash is always a head scratcher.

Let DogPound take his medicine.

CP absolutely lost the team title this weekend. Clark wins Friday night, they win the title. If any of their placers win matches against guys they already beat, they win the team title. They had a number of ways to still win the team title but they faltered at almost every turn. Hats off to CG & BB but to pretend like CP didn’t underperform this title away is sticking your head in the sand. 

As for the, “your program would take 9 medals, 12 qualifiers, etc.”, that is comparing apples to oranges. CP’s program and its resources, recruiting included, eliminates 99% of wrestling programs from having that type of success so to think otherwise is ridiculous. 

I’m glad to hear you won’t be banning DawgPoundRed or whatever he goes by. The guy hasn’t said anything to warrant banishment especially on a discussion board. 

2 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

real question 

Mike, I don’t believe this poster has been on the board since before this weekend.  

Why is Hawkins asking to ban him this morning?  This poster has been vocal all year.

23 minutes ago, AlaskanMountie said:

CP absolutely lost the team title this weekend. Clark wins Friday night, they win the title. If any of their placers win matches against guys they already beat, they win the team title. They had a number of ways to still win the team title but they faltered at almost every turn. Hats off to CG & BB but to pretend like CP didn’t underperform this title away is sticking your head in the sand. 

As for the, “your program would take 9 medals, 12 qualifiers, etc.”, that is comparing apples to oranges. CP’s program and its resources, recruiting included, eliminates 99% of wrestling programs from having that type of success so to think otherwise is ridiculous. 

I’m glad to hear you won’t be banning DawgPoundRed or whatever he goes by. The guy hasn’t said anything to warrant banishment especially on a discussion board. 

Nailed it. 

Also, parity is good for the sport. We don't need any teams winning 3-4 in a row. If BBurg rattles off a couple (very possible) we'll be back to rooting for CP like we were rooting for BBurgg this year, and 2021 Mater Dei to end the Cathedral run.

Now is it really parity if we are just rotating between CP, Bburg, and CG?? Not really. But it is better than one team just completely dominating a decade. 

These 3 will always be relevant. I don't see that changing. Coaching staffs are too good. However, I am curious to see how long they can sustain THIS level of greatness. 

1 hour ago, AlaskanMountie said:

Wow.  You took the words right out of my mouth.  I love wrestling in NWI.  Yes even the Bulldogs.  But if I'm being honest here something wasn't right with them this weekend.   

To ban someone because someone else asked, when the poster did nothing wrong, is a very slippery slope.  Let's not go there.  This site keeps my love of wrestling burning.  Don't change it.  Just wouldn't be right.