3A Team State Voting... solution!

Y2CJ41

I know our dear IHSWCA president @Jcjcjc was in the chat last night, so he knows Mike and I's suggestion. Here is what we said about it and what Mike and I think is the best solution. Hopefully our other leaders like the VP @Ed Pendoski, @Greg Ratliff, and the great one @dstruck all jump on board with this idea.

8 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

Last year in 3A the vote in teams finished 3rd and 4th overall. There are 6 teams on the outside looking in that could potentially win this tournament. Make it 12 and let’s see what happens. 

*2nd and 3rd

And the second place team was a super late one due to New Haven dropping out.

3A has the depth that making it 12 teams total for the rest of time is a good thing. One or two kids can drastically affect a team's outlook on the year and predicting them based off of last year is a daunting task. 

The 7th-10th place teams in the spring standings were 7 points from an automatic qualification. 

Make it 12 for here on out as this class has proven to be very deep with competitive teams.

Edited by Y2CJ41
Added more words

3 hours ago, brickfor6 said:

Not one person will be mad.

9 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

*2nd and 3rd

And the second place team was a super late one due to New Haven dropping out.

3A has the depth that making it 12 teams total for the rest of time is a good thing. One or two kids can drastically affect a team's outlook on the year and predicting them based off of last year is a daunting task. 

The 7th-10th place teams in the spring standings were 7 points from an automatic qualification. 

Make it 12 for here on out as this class has proven to be very deep with competitive teams.

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF by Bounce

Some positive points about making it 12 permanently and even having a last minute change.

1. We shouldn't be trying to get teams to drop out. Making team state is a cool accomplishment for every team. Building your team up since last spring, throughout the off-season and early in the season to only tell them... well we lost so and so to injury/transfer we won't be competitive is not right. We can't expect a coach to do that every year. Our formula is great, but not a crystal ball. 

2. The 3A depth is deserving of adding 4 more teams. It has been shown the past couple years team #9 affected the outcome.

3. We don't want to miss teams that will be competitive at the event. I'd rather have a couple not as competitive teams than miss on one team.

4. The margin for error with picking 8 teams is very small with the combination of the formula and voting.

I see that Floyd is ranked 2nd in 3A, and 6th in the power poll. On the gorilla radio show the other night it was discussed that they would most likely not get voted in because they lost to Cathedral. I always feel the rankers do a pretty good job but it seems messed up that the 2nd ranked team would not get the nod. So I ask, are the guys that do the rankings over estimating how good Floyd is, or is the voting committee underestimating how good they are? I hope the 12 team format will be used! 

43 minutes ago, Rugger44 said:

I see that Floyd is ranked 2nd in 3A, and 6th in the power poll. On the gorilla radio show the other night it was discussed that they would most likely not get voted in because they lost to Cathedral. I always feel the rankers do a pretty good job but it seems messed up that the 2nd ranked team would not get the nod. So I ask, are the guys that do the rankings over estimating how good Floyd is, or is the voting committee underestimating how good they are? I hope the 12 team format will be used! 

There are two vote-in spots(currently)

New Pal- beat former #1 Roncalli and beat Greenfield-Central

Floyd Central- Beat Greenfield-Central, lost 45-25 to Cathedral

Franklin- Lost to Cathedral 36-34, beat former #3 Mishawaka

Greenfield-Central- Lost to Columbus East, Floyd Central, and New Palestine, beat Delta and Warren Central

Hobart- Beat Plymouth

Plymouth- Beat Mishawaka and McCutcheon

Based on the common of Cathedral, it could be assumed Franklin is a little better than Floyd Central. The voting for 2 spots will possibly be very heated and full of a lot of debates. It probably doesn't help that some coaches are spamming those voters with the reason their team should be choosen.