Team State Thoughts

Congrats to all the teams in team state and to the victorious teams!  Being at the 1A and watching Tell City was impressive.  They came to wrestle and dominated their way to the title ... hats off!!

Franklin did a great job of hosting and the tournament ran well and smoothly throughout the day, of course Track had to go down for a bit but thats kinda par for the course.  Their seemed to be more room at Franklin then there was at Martinsville but both places did a great job of hosting.

Just opening this up for discussion ... I feel like the 4A final was more exciting and a better event then the 1A final (cant speak of the 2A or 3A as I didnt see them).  Brownsburg always does a great job of creating the event.  I just wonder why the other locations dont do the same.  Wrestle all the placement matches and then have the final after that.  I was able to watch both my Cadets and the Tell City/Adams Central dual but just felt like for a state final it was a little lack luster.  I understand wanting to get it done so people can go home, etc but it is a state title, just seems like other locations can take a page from the Brownsburg playbook and make it more of an EVENT.

Congrats to all that made it and won and look forward to being there again next year.

To start, congratulations to all the schools that participated, along with the victors in all four divisions!  It’s great to see what Indiana wrestlers are doing on the National level and putting our great state on the map as a wrestling hot-bed! 

Sharing that Brownsburg High School held a great event.  There was ample seating for spectators and athletes, clean bathrooms and most importantly awesome wrestling.  

The finals match was a class act, bringing both teams together mat side prior to the match and introducing each wrestler by name and weight class in the center of the mat under the lights! Nice job Brownsburg, class act for certain!

There’s a lot of respect and friendships between the Brownsburg and Crown Point families/athletes, despite being opponents come match time.  Majority of the kids from both schools (you can include most of the wrestlers from all the schools at the event on Saturday for that matter) grew up wrestling on dual teams together at some point in their young careers.  It’s going to be a fun next few years in the 4A division, with lots of talented young wrestlers!  

Wishing all the wrestlers good luck over the next several weeks when the state series starts! 

I think the sound quality lacked at Franklin Community as teams were confused on where to go for the placement matches.

As for the atmosphere, it was about the same to Martinsville. While I would like to go to Brownsburg for their wrestling matches, the schools that the Class 1A/3A are at lack in showmanship but that's perfectly fine. The student-athletes should only be given that special treatment at conference finals, sectional, regional, semi-state and state.

When Rochester puts on their spotlight, my photos don't turn out well. But it's an alright atmosphere for the wrestlers, I guess. 

57 minutes ago, PMURPH505 said:

I think the sound quality lacked at Franklin Community as teams were confused on where to go for the placement matches.

As for the atmosphere, it was about the same to Martinsville. While I would like to go to Brownsburg for their wrestling matches, the schools that the Class 1A/3A are at lack in showmanship but that's perfectly fine. The student-athletes should only be given that special treatment at conference finals, sectional, regional, semi-state and state.

When Rochester puts on their spotlight, my photos don't turn out well. But it's an alright atmosphere for the wrestlers, I guess. 

Just think they could make the team state finals a little more special.  Face off / introduce the wrestlers, something!!

1 hour ago, PMURPH505 said:

teams were confused on where to go for the placement matches.

The mat assignments were listed on the brackets on Trackwrestling as soon as the brackets were listed(Thursday?)unless they changed them at the last minute. The ones listed for 2A were correct.

Edited by gonzoron

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

The mat assignments were listed on the brackets on Trackwrestling as soon as the brackets were listed(Thursday?)unless they changed them at the last minute. The ones listed for 2A were correct.

It wasnt that big of a deal because we were all in the same area.  They had the semi final matches on mats 1 and 2 but did the finals on mats 5 and 6.  I assume they did that because there was more room around 5 and 6.  It was a little confusing for a minute but there was no PA to announce anything.

3 minutes ago, Spladle Nation said:

It wasnt that big of a deal because we were all in the same area.  They had the semi final matches on mats 1 and 2 but did the finals on mats 5 and 6.  I assume they did that because there was more room around 5 and 6.  It was a little confusing for a minute but there was no PA to announce anything.

That's understandable then. The PA announcer was great at Jay County. Even drawing attention to some key individual matches on the different mats.

Edited by gonzoron

As good a job as Martinsville and Franklin both did, 1A with 12 teams bring alot of fans, would like to see 1A have its own location with sufficient seating. Agree that the finals under the lights would be cool, but some teams had a three hour drive. Congrats to Tell City!! It was definitely the Zebra Cakes!! 

1A should have their own venue.  Two years in a row we have been in a field house with not a lot of seating.  Causes a lot of issues between fans and it takes away from team seating as well.  Rochester could have hosted and we offered...never even got a sniff.

Stop using Track Wrestling.  Use Flo Arena.  It's easier to use and it won't crash.  Every tourney we have attended this year has had problems with TW.  

@PMURPH505 Our spotlight is awesome and our kids love it!  We had 1,000 people come to the Western Dual and probably 600+ at the Huntington Dual.  I think it creates a little more than an "alright atmosphere".

Congrats to the Marksmen.  Very good team and they had some hammers.  I knew they'd be the 4th seed but they shouldn't have been...at worst they should have been the 2 seed but IMO they should have been #1.  2x defending champs and lost no one...still can't wrap my head around it.  Anyway, I also knew we'd have to wrestle our best to beat them no matter when we wrestled them.  We had our chances but made little mistakes that you can't make against their team.  Our guys battled hard and gave themselves a chance to win, that's all I can ask for.  I was also proud of how our guys responded and wrestled back for 3rd.  Cascade has some hammers and we wrestled well.  One of the hardest things to do in wrestling is wrestle back for an award you didn't want.  Our guys responded! 

We love Team State and we are looking forward to coming back next year but we got a lot of work to do to make that happen.

10 minutes ago, WoodJC82 said:

I personally thought our (Jay) hospitality room food was top notch!

Biscuits and Gravy were great! @hogleg's only complaint was that there was no Frank's Red Hot to drizzle on top of it! The pretzel donuts were also quite the hit. 

I thought Jay County did a great job hosting. Only having one hotel in town made it difficult for us as I believe they booked over our block of rooms that we reserved about 3 months prior. But the environment was awesome, the announcer was great, and the gym was super loud. This is my favorite tournament of the year and was happy to be a part of it!

Hey , I want to start by saying thank you to lots of people.

I attended the Franklin site last weekend. One of my former coaches was there working all weekend. He once said to me "I don't know how much so and so is getting paid to do this, but it's not enough"

I'll tell you that number was probably $0.

We have a lot of people that help with a data driven formula, seeding, a rules/ selection committee, selecting/ assigning officials, securing mats, setting up LOTS of things, trackwrestling setup, awards, and now streaming the whole thing. If ANY of these people aren't there helping, I don't know now this tournament continues. It is a huge undertaking.

I won't say that the experience is perfect. But we keep aiming to make it better.

The goal is to always keep this tournament centrally located. The tournament was setup to sort of bring teams (the best teams is the goal) from all geographical locations. The 1A problem becomes that there aren't many 1A options in the Indianapolis area. And not many 1A options that can field 6 wrestling mats. 

Someone on the IHSWCA has continuously asked me to drop 1 and 2 back down to 8 teams. I have not wanted to do that for lots of reasons we have discussed over the years. That in itself limits venues we can go to. Which is why we have done fieldhouses the last two years.

We have several people that want the tournament all at one location, but that has been difficult to accommodate.

We have several that want the tournament all 4 separate locations. That also raises issues as we spread ourselves too thin with helpers. There's only so many volunteers you can ask for.

I do like to read on ways we can improve. I don't think everyone understands the logistics. 

I think the faceoff needs to be done before the finals That would be incredible.

As far as the spotlight finals or one match finals. Also a great idea! Brownsburg reached out last year to ask if they could do that, but that meant that the finalists had a double bye. It comes back to asking officials, and workers to stay longer.

So there are ways to improve and I'm always interested in hearing how you think we can improve. But it's not always as easy as people think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, bomber_bob said:

Biscuits and Gravy were great! @hogleg's only complaint was that there was no Frank's Red Hot to drizzle on top of it! The pretzel donuts were also quite the hit. 

I thought Jay County did a great job hosting. Only having one hotel in town made it difficult for us as I believe they booked over our block of rooms that we reserved about 3 months prior. But the environment was awesome, the announcer was great, and the gym was super loud. This is my favorite tournament of the year and was happy to be a part of it!

Thanks! And, I will make sure there is Frank’s Red Hot next time!!