Heavyweight Super Bracket – 2022 Edition (AMENDED VERSION)

blueandgold

AMENDED VERSION

Seeds

1. Frank Hammond '92, Perry Meridian
  2. Chico Adams '08, Perry Meridian
  3. Shawn Streck '16, Merrillville
  4. Christopher Kasten '05, Winamac
  5. Dexter Larimore '06, Merrillville
  6. Andy Schneider '94, Mount Vernon (Posey)
  7. Donte Winfield '13, Perry Meridian
  8. Wesley Bernard '14, Cathedral
  9. Eli Pokorney '18, Chesterton
  10. Evan Ellis '17, Eastern (Greentown)
  11. Greg Wagner '01, Fort Wayne Snider
  12. Chad Ruggeri '04, Mount Vernon (Posey)
  13. Adam Chalfant '09, Winchester
  14. Bubba Dickerson '96, New Castle
  15. Abraham Hall '12, Bremen
  16. Ross Janney '10, Yorktown

First Round Pairings

• #1 Frank Hammond '92 (Perry Meridian) vs. #16 Ross Janney '10 (Yorktown)
  • #2 Chico Adams '08 (Perry Meridian) vs. #15 Abraham Hall '12 (Bremen)
  • #3 Shawn Streck '16 (Merrillville) vs. #14 Bubba Dickerson (New Castle)
  • #4 Christopher Kasten '05 (Winamac) vs. #13 Adam Chalfant '09 (Winchester)
  • #5 Dexter Larimore '06 (Merrillville) vs. #12 Chad Ruggeri (Mount Vernon - Posey)
  • #6 Andy Schneider '94 (Mount Vernon - Posey) vs. #11 Greg Wagner '01 (Fort Wayne Snider)
  • #7 Donte Winfield '13 (Perry Meridian) vs. #10 Evan Ellis '17 (Eastern - Greentown)
  • #8 Wesley Bernard '14 (Cathedral) vs. #9 Eli Pokorney '18 (Chesterton)

Quarterfinal Predictions

• #1 Frank Hammond '92 (Perry Meridian) vs. #8 Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)
  • #2 Chico Adams '08 (Perry Meridian) vs. #7 Donte Winfield '13 (Perry Meridian)
  • #3 Shawn Streck '16 (Merrillville) vs. #11 Greg Wagner (Fort Wayne Snider)
  • #4 Christopher Kasten '05 (Winamac) vs. #5 Dexter Larimore '06 (Merrillville)
Edited by blueandgold

26 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Seeds

1. Frank Hammond (Perry Meridian)
  2. Dexter Larimore (Merrillville)
  3. Chico Adams (Perry Meridian)
  4. Shawn Streck (Merrillville)
  5. Greg Wagner (Fort Wayne Snider)
  6. Chad Ruggeri (Mount Vernon)
  7. Andy Schneider (Mount Vernon)
  8. Bubba Dickerson (New Castle)
  9. Donte Winfield (Perry Meridian)
  10. Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)
  11. Adam Chalfant (Winchester)
  12. Evan Ellis (Eastern - Greentown)
  13. Eli Pokorney (Chesterton)
  14. Christopher Kasten (Winamac)
  15. Abraham Hall (Bremen)
  16. Ross Janney (Yorktown)

First Round Pairings

• #1 Frank Hammond (Perry Meridian) vs. #16 Ross Janney (Yorktown)
  • #2 Dexter Larimore (Merrillville) vs. #15 Abraham Hall (Bremen)
  • #3 Chico Adams (Perry Meridian) vs. #14 Christopher Kasten (Winamac)
  • #4 Shawn Streck (Merrillville) vs. #13 Eli Pokorney (Chesterton)
  • #5 Greg Wagner (FW Snider) vs. #12 Evan Ellis (Eastern - Greentown)
  • #6 Chad Ruggeri (Mount Vernon) vs. #11 Adam Chalfant (Winchester)
  • #7 Andy Schneider (Mount Vernon) vs. #10 Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)
  • #8 Bubba Dickerson (New Castle) vs. #9 Donte Winfield (Perry Meridian)

Quarterfinal Predictions

• #1 Frank Hammond (Perry Meridian) vs. #9 Donte Winfield (Perry Meridian)
  • #2 Dexter Larimore (Merrillville) vs. #10 Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)
  • #3 Chico Adams (Perry Meridian) vs. #6 Chad Ruggeri (Mount Vernon)
  • #4 Shawn Streck (Merrillville) vs. #5 Greg Wagner (FW Snider)

Not that it matters but, Why is Kasten so low in seed? He beat Larimore in the finals and was a 2x champ.

No one's stopping the Chico Train here. Line em all up if you want. What is your criteria based on for seeds though? Senior year Donte would be hard to beat, top 10 nationally ranked and only loss off-season and regular season was to Adam Coon (idk if you know him) 1-0 at Fargo. No disrespect to Frank but Streck, Wesley, Donte, Eli were all on national scene doing well also. Chico still destroys them all though so it doesn't matter.

Just now, Websterk149 said:

No one's stopping the Chico Train here. Line em all up if you want. What is your criteria based on for seeds though? Senior year Donte would be hard to beat, top 10 nationally ranked and only loss off-season and regular season was to Adam Coon (idk if you know him) 1-0 at Fargo. No disrespect to Frank but Streck, Wesley, Donte, Eli were all on national scene doing well also. Chico still destroys them all though so it doesn't matter.

Donte lost to Wesley twice that year at Team State and at Semi-State. He lost to Coon 1-0, 1-0 in the 2012 Fargo finals the previous summer. While I would agree Donte is hard to beat, Chico went 108-0 over his last two seasons and beat Adam Chalfant along the way. So, I’m thinking Chico wins the whole thing. I gave Frank the #1 because the consensus decision is that he’s the best Heavyweight in our school’s history and Chico himself said the two best heavyweights ahead of him are Frank and Dexter. Wesley is a Perry Meridian guy as well having wrestled from youth to 8th Grade, and moved to Cathedral as a freshman. So, while his high school accolades are as a part of Cathedral, we all do consider him part of our lineage. He and Donte are always neck and neck, and since Donte won the title before Wes, he took the higher spot. Kasten should be higher, probably swap him with Bubba first, then swap him again with Ruggeri, and then again with Dexter. I’m going to re-draw the whole thing.

18 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Donte lost to Wesley twice that year at Team State and at Semi-State. He lost to Coon 1-0, 1-0 in the 2012 Fargo finals the previous summer. While I would agree Donte is hard to beat, Chico went 108-0 over his last two seasons and beat Adam Chalfant along the way. So, I’m thinking Chico wins the whole thing. I gave Frank the #1 because the consensus decision is that he’s the best Heavyweight in our school’s history and Chico himself said the two best heavyweights ahead of him are Frank and Dexter. Wesley is a Perry Meridian guy as well having wrestled from youth to 8th Grade, and moved to Cathedral as a freshman. So, while his high school accolades are as a part of Cathedral, we all do consider him part of our lineage. He and Donte are always neck and neck, and since Donte won the title before Wes, he took the higher spot. Kasten should be higher, probably swap him with Bubba first, then swap him again with Ruggeri, and then again with Dexter. I’m going to re-draw the whole thing.

It impresses me that Chico even admitted that there were 2 guys better than him LOL. But I stand corrected bout Donte, you are right. I like the seeds how they are for most part, the Hammond one is my only question just because I don't know his accolades but I think Chico beats Frank (no disrespect Mr. Hammond). I was thinking that Perry biasy played bigger part in seeds criteria lol. 

• blueandgold changed the title to Heavyweight Super Bracket – 2022 Edition (AMENDED VERSION)

My argument will always be for Shawn. Of course there is some bias in this argument but here it goes again...

Freshman 40-6, losses at State to Donte(1-0) and Hemmelgarn(3-1)

Sophomore 44-2, loses to Wesley by Fall, his other loss was to a guy named Gelen Robinson that year. 

Junior 46-0, Pins everyone at State tournament

Senior 45-0, 3 Falls in State Tournamnet

Shawn was 135-2 between his Sophomore and Senior seasons. 8 losses in his career, 3 of them coming from eventual State Champs. 7 Falls in his last two State Tournaments. No one came close to him his last two years. When talking about the best to ever do it at the weight class, he has to be considered in the conversation. 

7 hours ago, Ahawkeye said:

Sorry, I just saw this. Schneider Mt. Vernon Posey all day every day. He didn't wrestle outside of the season because he was too busy farming, so he didn't have a lot of opportunities to wrestle out of state. He would mop the whole bracket. Haters gonna hate but it's true.

Unfortunate for Damon Hummel that after his senior year they'd make a 215 lb weight class.

I always heard that Schneider was a beast.

• #1 Frank Hammond '92 (Perry Meridian) vs. #8 Wesley Bernard (Cathedral)
  • #2 Chico Adams '08 (Perry Meridian) vs. #7 Donte Winfield '13 (Perry Meridian)
  • #3 Shawn Streck '16 (Merrillville) vs. #11 Greg Wagner (Fort Wayne Snider)
  • #4 Christopher Kasten '05 (Winamac) vs. #5 Dexter Larimore '06 (Merrillville)

#8 Wesley Bernard (7-3-1) over #1 Frank Hammond (Hammond seeded too high)

#5 Dexter Larimore (2-2-1) over #4 Kristopher Kasten (Q-3-1-1) (Dexter lost to Kasten as a junior when Kasten was a senior. Senior year versus senior year, Dexter takes it)

#2 Chico Adams  (8-1-1)  over #7 Donte Winfield  (Donte was Q and 1. Chico just too much. 

#3 Shawn Streck (7-3-1-1) over #11 Greg Wagner (Wagner was 'only' a 2-1)

#5 Dexter Larimore over #8 Wesley Bernard 

#3 Shawn Streck over #2 Kristopher Kasten

#3 Shawn Streck over #5 Dexter Larimore

Edited by navy80

Bubba was only 17 and we didn't even get to see him healthy, or training like he should've.. It's unreal how good he was and knowing what I know, trying not to be a Debbie downer on a public forum.. Breaks my heart knowing that not only did he pass away in a terrible fashion, but all the wasted talent and hearts he broke in doing so, being a reminder how precious life is, especially when 1 mistake can be 1 that you never come back from... Bubba was his own worst enemy and that's the reason he's no longer with us as are most kids that e bone head mistakes. Def was tough on the wrestling family/town .. Only to lose another really member, leaving the family and town gutted 8 years later losing my other cousin to similar circumstances..

The bubba that pinned his way through state finals, a week after having a fever of 102, cutting to make the HW LIMIT and being a man child, it boggles my mind that he did the extraordinary things he did under The circumstances.. He was def loved and cared for by our big Wrestling family, and this isn't a pity party excuse post, this is to put into perspective how dominant he was, and was not living right. Wish I could find that 95 state finals, Peck has it some where, I'm going to go do some tree work for him within the next few weeks and will try and see if we can find it, amomg his world class Vhs/DVD wrestling collection.. Anybody that is familiar with Bub, regardless where they're from, will vouch he was a Treat to watch, and not like many other big men. 

Screenshot_20221225-134843.png

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Jr Year Streck vs Jr Bubba would've been fireworks, and I'm telling y'all, it wouldn't be like most think it would, bubba hit dump series and wrestled like a 160 also, so Streck and him would've both faced their most athletic tests up to then..  Bubba throws Streck like Samuels did, then we might see the purple hulk lose to the green hulk lol but in all seriousness, Streck could've beaten him too, just depends who's day it was, bubba was an enigma and from what my OGs tell me, I was only 10 when he passed away, he was unlike anything they'd ever seen. 

4 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Larimore would have wipped the mat most of these guys. He was a freak of nature - one the senior national tournament. ( WHEN IT WAS A TOUGH ONE) 

Was a monster for sure, and a stud footballer that went on to have a solid NFL career as well!!