Senior One Shot, One Gold

Y2CJ41

On 9/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, AJ said:

Here are two oldies from Muncie Southside:

Donald Pritchard won state his Junior year at HW in 1975, and that was his only year making it!!!!

Michael Holmes won it at 126 his senior year in 1975.

2 wrestlers won it their only time there, and led the team to the state title as well!!!

They also had a guy that never to my knowledge and to my oldest brother’s knowledge before his senior year and he got to the finals in 1975 at 167lbs Chuck Evans. Also on a side note Donald Prichard won the state his junior year but his senior year was dismissed from the team after a mid season tourney.

One thing i know is that some of these higher tier schools have a ton of kids who should be brought up like this I think of Adam Guerra who was behind me and Josh harper for 3 years and came in as a SR and got 5th. Give them 2-3 years of Varsity comp and he could easily compete with high level guys but got one year to do so. Those kids are the real heroes who put their time in to help their teammates be the best they could be  and for just one shot for their own. And never once did those guys say something about it just kept busting their hump. So maybe not state champs but champion humans either way

39 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

One thing i know is that some of these higher tier schools have a ton of kids who should be brought up like this I think of Adam Guerra who was behind me and Josh harper for 3 years and came in as a SR and got 5th. Give them 2-3 years of Varsity comp and he could easily compete with high level guys but got one year to do so. Those kids are the real heroes who put their time in to help their teammates be the best they could be  and for just one shot for their own. And never once did those guys say something about it just kept busting their hump. So maybe not state champs but champion humans either way

This^^^^ I remember Bellmont would be like that. "Awesome I get to wrestle a JV kid" and then all of sudden you were doing everything you can to get them off your leg. The next year they would place. Good stuff.

24 minutes ago, aoberlin said:

This^^^^ I remember Bellmont would be like that. "Awesome I get to wrestle a JV kid" and then all of sudden you were doing everything you can to get them off your leg. The next year they would place. Good stuff.

40 minutes ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Seltzer had a lot of these type of guys at Elkhart Memorial at the same time frame when you were at it, Nick.  I can't recall all the names, but always thought how crazy it was that they would have guys come to varsity and instantly be ready to bang with anyone in the state.  

1 hour ago, Fabio Jr. said:

Every kid who was my JV at Snider was an eventual state placer.  Just a couple names: Matt Morris a 3rd.  Demetrius Burton a 7th. 

23 hours ago, aoberlin said:

and he was probably a Baker.....

if it was EMD it would be a Weinzapfel (i probably butchered that spelling)

On 9/8/2023 at 7:33 AM, Galagore said:

Since you brought it up....

Another fun fact is Jeremiah won every match of that run (except two, more on those later...) by either first period pin or overtime victory.

One of the two he didn't win by first period pin or OT was Howe who he pinned in the second period. Howe was ranked #2 at the time, and many had him picked to win it all. The other was in the (Merrillville!) semistate semifinals against (future champ) Abe Hall who had given Jeremiah all four of his losses that season.

Needless to say, it was as thrilling a run as one could have. Truly a case of "lightning in a bottle." And if you can't tell, I am eternally grateful to have been a part of it.

Add in 4th placer “Big E” Eric Forrest to the conference along with Abe, and Harvey was very battle-tested by the time the state finals came around.

For what it’s worth, I was one of very few people to take Harvey all the way that year in my first ever pick em’s contest. 😏

9 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Add in 4th placer “Big E” Eric Forrest to the conference along with Abe, and Harvey was very battle-tested by the time the state finals came around.

For what it’s worth, I was one of very few people to take Harvey all the way that year in my first ever pick em’s contest. 😏

That's because you saw him in person:} Once you saw him, it was hard to bet against him...freak athlete at any size, let alone at 285. Outstanding young man as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 4:43 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

Every kid who was my JV at Snider was an eventual state placer.  Just a couple names: Matt Morris a 3rd.  Demetrius Burton a 7th. 

Demetrius Burton was my son's middle school coach at Brownsburg.  Great guy with a great attitude that truly wanted to help kids.

Edited by rdrodd1

On 8/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, maligned said:

Wow! I did not remember that. So Ester puts out following-season state champ Requejo in the ticket round in 1991 and #1-ranked Wilson of Warsaw in the ticket round in 1992. Who kept beating him at regional to create those matches?!?

Tony Elkins maybe...who I beat ticket round 93. That Ft Wayne semi state was brutal at 119 those 2 years. A young Tim Myers got 2nd to Derek Crousere that year, went on to take the state title, and a Fargo Cadet FS title to put the cherry on top of the sundae

Edited by Dwilly

1 hour ago, Dwilly said:

Tony Elkins maybe...who I beat ticket round 93. That Ft Wayne semi state was brutal at 119 those 2 years. A young Tim Myers got 2nd to Derek Crousere that year, went on to take the state title, and a Fargo Cadet FS title to put the cherry on top of the sundae

False. Tony never beat Mike in his career and we did not go to the same Regional. Northside went to Carroll.  Snider hosted our own Regional.  

On 8/31/2023 at 3:40 PM, maligned said:

I looked it up in the IHSAA yearbook. Denny was regional champ and Ester 3rd in 91 behind Fiechter of Bluffton too--and then Ester was 2nd in 92 behind Schwartz. All 3 guys went to state in 91 and Ester/Schwartz ended up 3/4 in the state in 1992.

@Dwilly This was further back in this thread. Denny Schwartz of Adams Central was the answer.

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 12:57 PM, maligned said:

Wow! I did not remember that. So Ester puts out following-season state champ Requejo in the ticket round in 1991 and #1-ranked Wilson of Warsaw in the ticket round in 1992. Who kept beating him at regional to create those matches?!?

Ester got me in 91 was correct. He held my hands together and dropped to a knee with a couple seconds left and got the 1 point penalty for having my hands clasped. He was a good friend and we joked about it at the Mishawaka Invite the next year while we were warming up for our finals matches. Me at 125, Mike at 119. Even when we wrestled at Manchester before I joined the Army, we still talked about that match. Wrestling someone in a close match, regardless of the outcome, can create a bond, even if you hate the guy’s guys afterwards. Losing to Mike was the best motivation I had for my senior year.

He is and will always be missed by anyone who knew him. He’s probably hitting that blast double leg somewhere! RIP brother!

22 hours ago, ND1974 said:

Ester got me in 91 was correct. He held my hands together and dropped to a knee with a couple seconds left and got the 1 point penalty for having my hands clasped. He was a good friend and we joked about it at the Mishawaka Invite the next year while we were warming up for our finals matches. Me at 125, Mike at 119. Even when we wrestled at Manchester before I joined the Army, we still talked about that match. Wrestling someone in a close match, regardless of the outcome, can create a bond, even if you hate the guy’s guys afterwards. Losing to Mike was the best motivation I had for my senior year.

He is and will always be missed by anyone who knew him. He’s probably hitting that blast double leg somewhere! RIP brother!

better story about you, when Ester and i walked in your dorm room with Lopez trying to break your arm with a baseball bat.  so you didn't have to make weight. lol great times

On 8/28/2023 at 12:50 PM, Caleb Spires said:

1968 145 lbs - John Campbell (Jimtown) 

To my knowledge, it was his only state finals appearance.

John didn't make it out of the Fort Wayne Regional in 1967. Mike Magyar did win the regional in 1967 and placed forth at state...

1967.jpg

Edited by Jimtown 138

On 9/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, AJ said:

Here are two oldies from Muncie Southside:

Donald Pritchard won state his Junior year at HW in 1975, and that was his only year making it!!!!

Michael Holmes won it at 126 his senior year in 1975.

2 wrestlers won it their only time there, and led the team to the state title as well!!!

I think Michael Holmes sat out his junior with injury, didn’t he?