Sectional, Regional, Semi-State Placer to State Champ?

blueandgold

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

If I’m correct, is Asa Garcia the only one to do this? As a freshman, he didn’t win Sectionals, Regionals, or Semi-State, but won the State Championship at 106.

Repeat it in 2018 -126 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Misread, “Freshman”

4 hours ago, Holden said:

I can't remember, did Danny Williams (Warren Central) do it his senior year?  Didn't he have a broken ankle or something and qualified and forfeited to 4th all the way through, and then win it?

No he was pinned by New Castles Terrell Coatie in the Semis  and then inj def 3rd/4th place match.. He did have a lingering ankle injury going into semi state.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Steve Stahl from Elkhart Memorial in 2008. He lost to Ryan Konrath of Jimtown in the finals of sectional, regionals, and semi-state. At State, Konrath was beat by Mark Shrewsbury of Crown Point in the quarter finals. Stahl beat Shrewsbury 2-1 in the championship match. 

19 minutes ago, mat fiend said:

Steve Stahl from Elkhart Memorial in 2008. He lost to Ryan Konrath of Jimtown in the finals of sectional, regionals, and semi-state. At State, Konrath was beat by Mark Shrewsbury of Crown Point in the quarter finals. Stahl beat Shrewsbury 2-1 in the championship match. 

You might be the smartest Dekalb grad in history.

33 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Royce Deckard II (LN) got 4th in semi-state and never won any of the previous state series in 1992 before winning it all if memory serves. 

A fiercely contested finals match to Craig Elpers of MD, Deckard threw the legs in and pretty much stalled the entire 3rd period and the ref WOULD NOT call it. MD was mad mad mad at that one. I remember the entire school getting a stern talking to by principal Herb Neighbors the Monday following state due to a chant coming from that red and gold corner of MSA. I believe it went something like "BULL **IT!" but my memory fades me...

NOT! Every MD fan remembers that one!

On 2/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, TripleB said:

1997 - Josh Hardy and Jared Williams, Jared was undefeated and Hardy had 3 losses, all to Williams at Sectionals, Regionals, Semi-State. Hardy beat Williams in the finals. 

Wait, maybe the didn't wrestle at sectionals, but all 3 of Hardy's losses were to Williams. 

Who did Hardy wrestle for?  Williams was Ev. Harrison, correct?

On 2/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, Ahawkeye said:

A fiercely contested finals match to Craig Elpers of MD, Deckard threw the legs in and pretty much stalled the entire 3rd period and the ref WOULD NOT call it. MD was mad mad mad at that one. I remember the entire school getting a stern talking to by principal Herb Neighbors the Monday following state due to a chant coming from that red and gold corner of MSA. I believe it went something like "BULL **IT!" but my memory fades me...

NOT! Every MD fan remembers that one!

Royce Deckard (Duce) was a sectional and regional champion that year. You must not be remembering that match too clearly because he cut Elpers in the third then took him down and rode him out for 1:10 to win a state title. Don’t be salty at him because the other guy didn’t know how to get off bottom 🤷🏻‍♂️😁

I'm just recalling what we saw, however I do faintly remember D2 cutting Elpers..... Then throwing the legs in and riding the remaining time. The emotions are high and it's tough to take when there's a lot of effort from one wrestler and all that guy on top has to do is pretend to put a half in. Not saying you're wrong just saying there was definitely emotion on both sides, but that's the sport we love and that's the way it goes. It was 30 years or so ago these things still sting but I'm sure other matches are just as emotionally charged.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.