Class wrestling in FL

base

or am i not supposed to have enough brains to know that. It is easy to know there are some small school state champions. what may make an affect is better coaching and ability to go and train places after season as in camps RTC or even a wrestling room all year long and need a say a "GOOD COACH" thats what play the factor not hey its not FAIR for some kids well guess what wrestling is fair step onto the mat get your butt kicked hey that kid is better and probably works harder than you haha with FAIR being said just sounds like a word that is always used for SOCCER

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on, as poorly written as that was, you can still understand what he's trying to say.  His grammar is awful, but to be honest many of the people on this site are just as bad.  Try reading it a second, or perhaps third time, you'll get it.  It's like one of those pictures you have to stare at to get the hidden picture.

So here is a question. The arguments for both sides are legit. How do we get the IHSAA to take a look at it and hear both sides. Does the IHSAA ever discuss this? We can debate forever but nothing gets done if the right people don't have the opportunity to look at both sides and make a decision. And if they keep wrestling a one class sport, I believe they need to explain their reasoning. And by that I don't mean, "Because that's the way it has always been done." If they believe that it's better for the sport, then tell us why. If they believe we should change, they need to present evidence as to how they came up with that decision.

Back to my original question. Is the IHSAA looking into this? Do they ever plan to look into this? Just wondering.

From a fan of HS Wresling's perspective, I would like to see one class to crown the best in the state as a state champion and see the very best match ups possible.

From a fan of College Wrestling's perspective, I would like to see classed HS wrestling to allow our state's individual wrestlers to seem more accomplished on paper and therefor more easily recruitable. To most recruiters a 1x state qualifier, 1x state placer, 2x state champ sounds a lot better than a 3x state qualifier, 1x State placer.

In Conclusion, class wrestling in Indiana would dramatically improve the number of kids wrestling in college. With a scholarship more readily attainable more kids would want to be involved in the sport. Class wrestling is better for the kids and the sport. Quality of the state tournament for the fans be damned.

This is by far the best arguement to multiple classes that I  have heard.

or am i not supposed to have enough brains to know that. It is easy to know there are some small school state champions. what may make an affect is better coaching and ability to go and train places after season as in camps RTC or even a wrestling room all year long and need a say a "GOOD COACH" thats what play the factor not hey its not FAIR for some kids well guess what wrestling is fair step onto the mat get your butt kicked hey that kid is better and probably works harder than you haha with FAIR being said just sounds like a word that is always used for SOCCER

But this has been my thought on class wrestling all along.  Why does size of school determine how well an individual can compete.  You can say practice partners but kids from small schools can find a way... Marlan Stewart from Brebuf, Ryan Pribble Turkey Run, Matt Hurford Culver Community, Jeremiah Harvey Culver Community, Cody Phillips Union County, Michael Duckworth Union County and there are tons more of kids from small schools that worked hard despite being from a small school.

So here is a question. The arguments for both sides are legit. How do we get the IHSAA to take a look at it and hear both sides. Does the IHSAA ever discuss this? We can debate forever but nothing gets done if the right people don't have the opportunity to look at both sides and make a decision. And if they keep wrestling a one class sport, I believe they need to explain their reasoning. And by that I don't mean, "Because that's the way it has always been done." If they believe that it's better for the sport, then tell us why. If they believe we should change, they need to present evidence as to how they came up with that decision.

Back to my original question. Is the IHSAA looking into this? Do they ever plan to look into this? Just wondering.

Probably not. It is up to the IHSWCA to be our liaison I believe. We have made these arguments in the past and as you can see, nothing.

So here is a question. The arguments for both sides are legit. How do we get the IHSAA to take a look at it and hear both sides.

I understand your point here, but I think it would come across as..

"Hey, we can't agree between ourselves what is best for our sport.  Can we have you come in, let us argue in front of you, and then you tell us what is best for our sport??"

I understand your point here, but I think it would come across as..

"Hey, we can't agree between ourselves what is best for our sport.  Can we have you come in, let us argue in front of you, and then you tell us what is best for our sport??"

Agreed. Sounds like the IHSWCA needs to decide and present that to the IHSAA. I'm interested to see what happens here. Whatever gets done, we need to find a way to grow and promote the sport. We've done better recently I think, but we still have a long way to go.

From a fan of HS Wresling's perspective, I would like to see one class to crown the best in the state as a state champion and see the very best match ups possible.

From a fan of College Wrestling's perspective, I would like to see classed HS wrestling to allow our state's individual wrestlers to seem more accomplished on paper and therefor more easily recruitable. To most recruiters a 1x state qualifier, 1x state placer, 2x state champ sounds a lot better than a 3x state qualifier, 1x State placer.

In Conclusion, class wrestling in Indiana would dramatically improve the number of kids wrestling in college. With a scholarship more readily attainable more kids would want to be involved in the sport. Class wrestling is better for the kids and the sport. Quality of the state tournament for the fans be damned.

People in the know, always look at national tournaments for prospective recruits for colleges. The High School record will only be used as a fall back. So this argument of this will dramatically improve the numbers in college is only speculation.

People in the know, always look at national tournaments for prospective recruits for colleges. The High School record will only be used as a fall back. So this argument of this will dramatically improve the numbers in college is only speculation.

On the D1 level you are completely right.  However at the D2, D3, and NAIA levels adding some state credentials will help kids a lot more.

One other point to ponder is this, small school coaches have very limited recruiting budgets. This means they don't get to see many state finals events. Where would you go, Indiana with 16 per weight class, Michigan with 64 per weight class, Ohio with 48 per weight class or Illinois with 48 per weight class?

Two things:

1. Over 40 states have class wrestling

2. You know the NCAA is classed...right? You are a Wabash fan so you should be telling Danny and Anderson to schedule Iowa, Penn State, Oklahoma State instead of Trine and the other D3 schools so you can test yourselves against the best.

I believe that Mr. Lefever was very happy with taking home an All-American award and I have never heard someone approach him and say it didn't mean squat since it wasn't a D1 award.

High School classing is not in any way comparable to college class system. The decision to wrestle the best is up to the individule athlete as to go D1,D2,D3 and so on. The decision is not left up to the student in high school, but rather what class the school decides to participate in.

High School classing is not in any way comparable to college class system. The decision to wrestle the best is up to the individule athlete as to go D1,D2,D3 and so on. The decision is not left up to the student in high school, but rather what class the school decides to participate in.

It is very comparable. They both are classing based on resources at the school. For the NCAA that resource is money, while high school the resource is students. Both make a big difference when it comes to athletics.

I would say the major difference between wrestling and other individual sports is the others are not contact sports.  They are all measured by a clock or tape measure except for tennis. 

If class wrestling is so bad for the sport then why do we not hear about all the other classed states trying to become single class states.

I have yet to hear an announcer on the BIG TEN Network say "He was a two time State Champion in the State of_____ but it does not mean much because they have class wrestling" or "but there were two or three other champions that year in his state".

Different class champions are like champions from different eras.  Is Lance Ellis any more or less of a State Champion than Chad Red because they never wrestled? No!  Different times, different classes, different weights.......... I only see it creating more opportunities for Indiana's youth. 

I have to admit I am starting to come around to class wrestling.  I have always been pro classless wrestling but, im starting to see the light.  If only we did it 20 years ago I coulda been a sectional contenda.

Fabio is right.  There's two legitimate sides to the argument.    And if the only thing you have is the success of Mater Dei to support your statement is weak.  Mater Dei's success is an outlier compared to the rest of the small schools, and it also has the private school advantage.  I bet there's 25 small school programs  in the state that are struggling to generate enought interest so they don't shut it down next year.  Just because something has always been that way, doesn't mean its the best way.  41 states have class wrestling and it didnt ruin wrestling in their states.

nobody outside of the wrestling community cares about wrestling. even the best big schools in the state fail to generate interest....Wrestling isn't basketball or football...ruining our one class individual system will just turn away the bit of interest that already exists...personally, i have been to every individual state championship since 1998 but if indiana starts classing individual state i will never waste my money at another individual state championship. classing individual state will destroy the sport in indiana - we arent strong enough overall to survive

nobody outside of the wrestling community cares about wrestling. even the best big schools in the state fail to generate interest....Wrestling isn't basketball or football...ruining our one class individual system will just turn away the bit of interest that already exists...personally, i have been to every individual state championship since 1998 but if indiana starts classing individual state i will never waste my money at another individual state championship. classing individual state will destroy the sport in indiana - we arent strong enough overall to survive

I am sure the sport won't survive at all without you and your $20 per year you spend at state. I am sure with the added fans you won't be missed.

I am sure the sport won't survive at all without you and your $20 per year you spend at state. I am sure with the added fans you won't be missed.

so you think the number of people that graduate with a wrestler impacts how good he ends up at wrestling?? classing individual state in indiana will destroy the little respect indiana has earned nation wide.  the only benefit to classing individual state is giving out more medals....if we want to make indiana wrestling perfect we should just not keep score and give everybody a gold medal!!!! everybody would love it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.