Y2's Rants and Raves: IHSWCA Team State: Mistakes of 2014

Y2CJ41

while I don't find y2's comments offensive or sarcastic, let's assume that you do.

now what?

do you have substantive disagreement with his ideas?  did you hear his endorsement of the event, in general? 

if his ideas are put into action, you will find this event become even better than it was this year.  rather than parse his words and attack the messenger, let's find a way to elevate Team State.

as a matter of fact, here's my idea for the evening:  let's begin referring to the event as "Team State."  that gives the event the gravity and importance of which it deserves. 

i know...some teams should not have been there; some should have been.  as a mater dei fan, losing to franklin was painful.  that being said, i have no problem stating that on January 4, 2014 franklin was the best team in the state.  that's the nature of any championship; on that day, at that hour, one team is the best.

at any rate, the ihswca event is already superior to that of the ihsaa (who abandoned us).  tweak a couple of things, boost attendance, improve the venue and Indiana wrestling has a grand slam home run.

while I don't find y2's comments offensive or sarcastic, let's assume that you do.

now what?

do you have substantive disagreement with his ideas?  did you hear his endorsement of the event, in general? 

if his ideas are put into action, you will find this event become even better than it was this year.  rather than parse his words and attack the messenger, let's find a way to elevate Team State.

as a matter of fact, here's my idea for the evening:  let's begin referring to the event as "Team State."  that gives the event the gravity and importance of which it deserves. 

i know...some teams should not have been there; some should have been.  as a mater dei fan, losing to franklin was painful.  that being said, i have no problem stating that on January 4, 2014 franklin was the best team in the state.  that's the nature of any championship; on that day, at that hour, one team is the best.

at any rate, the ihswca event is already superior to that of the ihsaa (who abandoned us).  tweak a couple of things, boost attendance, improve the venue and Indiana wrestling has a grand slam home run.

And I will return the favor, and agree with Hook on this.

I don't see the need to antagonize the IHSWCA.  The title alone is off-putting.  I thought one of the reasons this site was developed was to help promote wrestling in Indiana.  While Y2 makes valid points and offers good suggestions, the childish pissing contest he has with the IHSWCA is disturbing.

I don't see the need to antagonize the IHSWCA.  The title alone is off-putting.  I thought one of the reasons this site was developed was to help promote wrestling in Indiana.  While Y2 makes valid points and offers good suggestions, the childish pissing contest he has with the IHSWCA is disturbing.

We haven't stopped promoting the sport within the state one bit.

As much as I have ripped the IHSWCA, I have been a supporter of this event. I have tried to help them promote it and even sponsored the individual awards last year. I want this event to explode and feel it should be one of the biggest events of the year. We can't treat this event like another weekend of wrestling in the state.

a lot of good suggestions and thoughts......in my opinion though the biggest downfall of this event is the promotion of it.....it's like having a business without advertising.......and at the grand opening not many people know about it......i would think that you could set the date now for next year so people can get it on their schedule, and be thinking about it if nothing else......start a topic here on indianamat about it now and keep the conversation going.....keep it in peoples minds......as the next couple of weeks go by and sectionals get going, data is going to start getting collected and teams will start moving into contention.....other teams will just miss out but be able to wage reasons why they should pickup a wildcard spot..... as far as how you pick the teams, i personally think it's a pretty damn good way of doing it.......i was one of the original stat keepers (for the fwss) during the first year and thought at first that it was way more involved than needed but as i went through the first couple of weeks and understood the concept, it made total sense......the only things it doesn't and really can't take into consideration, is incoming freshmen and the kids that scored points for their team that may not come out the next year.....but in the end, i think the 3 beast teams in their class won the title and that's really what it is all about......not 2nd or 3rd place but who the best team is......ADVERTISE AND PROMOTE YOUR EVENT!!!!!!!!

I think having people on the IHSWCA board not being active coaches would help.  That way they do not have to split their time between promoting this meet and having to coach their team.  It takes some time to set up and prepare a tournament, some things that head coaches don't have enough of.  Let's get ex coaches or past wrestlers to help promote and run the tournament.

I think having people on the IHSWCA board not being active coaches would help.  That way they do not have to split their time between promoting this meet and having to coach their team.  It takes some time to set up and prepare a tournament, some things that head coaches don't have enough of.  Let's get ex coaches or past wrestlers to help promote and run the tournament.

Very good point Julio! I know JD Minch is now retired and is the Executive Director and tournament head for this event. I agree completely they need a couple others on board that are retired coaches or refs that have more time to devote to the proper planning of the event.

IMO  Some would think its about the money it brings  in. (NOT ME) Some would think it' s about the #1 team. I disagree. Not that I disagree with #1 getting the recognition they deserve. But it should be expanded to at least allow 8 more teams in each class to get recognized in their local papers. Thats how you grow it.  If it is about the money it brings in, then its all wrong anyways and is doomed to fail.  P.S. Wrestling in general in Indiana needs ambassadors to the media.Would be great if we promoted ex wrestlers to become newswriters and write area wrestling storys for local papers. Just thinking outside the box, trying to help. 

IMO  Some would think its about the money it brings  in. (NOT ME) Some would think it' s about the #1 team. I disagree. Not that I disagree with #1 getting the recognition they deserve. But it should be expanded to at least allow 8 more teams in each class to get recognized in their local papers. Thats how you grow it.  If it is about the money it brings in, then its all wrong anyways and is doomed to fail.  P.S. Wrestling in general in Indiana needs ambassadors to the media.Would be great if we promoted ex wrestlers to become newswriters and write area wrestling storys for local papers. Just thinking outside the box, trying to help.

Ignore the financials and you are doomed.  The money should be at the top of the list if you want this thing to continue.  If it is a constant money loser, then the event will eventually go away.  If it is a big money maker, you might get it back into the IHSAA or at least get them to allow more flexibility in holding the event.

The nice thing will be that if the promotion is done correctly, then money should be made.  This event will; however, always be limited in income and fan potential because nearly every team in the state is wrestling that same weekend.

What are the obstacles of hosting this event the same time it was done when the IHSAA had control?

The high school season officially ends at the time of individual state.  It could only be held as a "club" event under some other wrestling body's authority--with any wrestlers participating in spring sports already out the door.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.