Wrestling Removed from the Olympics! Something is VERY wrong in the world...

OldGoatGrappler

So let me get this right. Based on their decision which is supposed to include a report detailing 39 different criteria but was readily acknowledged to be more about personal and political opinion than fact, we can't watch wrestling in the Olympic Games but we get stuck with watching Dong Dong win Trampoline (seriously...look it up), women throwing Badminton matches, Dancing with a ribbon, BMX (I thought thats why the X-Games existed), Ping Pong (If you play it in college to see who can drink the most, how can it be an olympic sport), Horseback riding (why doesn't the horse get the medal) and like someone else mentioned....dinghy sailing....

Wow...Seriously.... Somewhere in whatever heaven or hell they ended up in, Ancient Greek athletes are simultaneously laughing hysterically and vomiting....

You forgot the drugged up cyclists.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get your point.  But in reality it may give some NCAA schools even less of a reason to keep wrestling around since their are less options out there.  If this removal is held, MMA really needs to start making a case for wrestling or think may keep spiraling downward.

i heard that mma is on the list of possible future olympic sports......i think it's far fetched because of the blood and guts but ya never know.....

I get your point.  But in reality it may give some NCAA schools even less of a reason to keep wrestling around since their are less options out there.  If this removal is held, MMA really needs to start making a case for wrestling or think may keep spiraling downward.

Bingo.

From a Josh Gross article in 2010:

UFC president Dana White has yet to fundraise for wrestling at that level, but he did donate money to the team at Bishop Gorman high school in Las Vegas -- where he went to school and became friends with Lorenzo Fertitta, who purchased the UFC in 2001. White said if need be, he would put the weight of the UFC, MMA's top promoter, behind money-raising efforts to help D-I wrestling.

Why the concern?

It's an easy link considering each of the 47 Americans on the UFC roster has some collegiate wrestling experience. As money and recognition continue to rise in MMA, there's no reason to expect that decorated D-I wrestlers will stop jumping into the sport. Earlier this month, Bellator Fighting Championships announced the signing of Eric Larkin, who won the Dan Hodge Trophy (wrestling's Heisman) in 2003, the same year he captured a national championship at 149 pounds for Arizona State.

The migration of top amateur wrestlers to MMA has some people concerned about the long-term impact on USA Wrestling, which oversees the sport at the international and Olympic level. But the organization, said spokesman Gary Abbott, believes the "success, publicity and popularity of mixed martial arts has given people a new perspective on the sport of wrestling."

Said Moyer: "To protect our future, we're going to need an association with MMA."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/josh_gross/08/18/college.wrestling/index.html#ixzz2KhErZsSY

on another note... this will make for one yeck of an Olympic Qualifier and Olympic Trials tournament... knowing that this may be the only shot for a very long time at making the Olympics will bring a lot of younger and older talent to the tournament...

What impact will the loss of Olympic Wrestling have on the World Championships and other International Competition?

I am fearful i might not get to see my grandchildren, which ill hopefully have someday, wrestle.

That is a realistic fear.  At this point, the Olympics is the pinnacle for career wrestlers - the one big "payoff" so to speak for athletes who have trained and sacrificed their entire lives for some recognition of their talent - let's face it, wrestling is a sport that's done for love, there is nothing else.  The Olympics are supposed to be the ultimate showcase of amatuer talent - if wrestling does not qualify, I'm not sure what does.

This is a sad day for international sports...

Did USA Wrestling have any idea this was coming?  I read where the one of the groups on the cutting block were working the past year on ways to save their sport and not have it cut by the IOC.  Did USA Wrestling campaign or do anything or did they get blindsided?

I think the crazy thing is that nobody knew wrestling was at risk from being removed.  And as a result, the national wrestling community wasn't prepared to defend the sport.  Looks like the "Modern pentathlon " lobbying group was able to pull a fast one.    Who does modern pentathlon? 

The Olympic committe is the most crooked organizations out there.  I speculate that there was some wining and dining,  maybe a few high class hookers supplied and some under the table money given.  There is no transparency in the process as it's a secret ballot.    Who knows how the American rep voted.

That is a realistic fear.  At this point, the Olympics is the pinnacle for career wrestlers - the one big "payoff" so to speak for athletes who have trained and sacrificed their entire lives for some recognition of their talent - let's face it, wrestling is a sport that's done for love, there is nothing else.  The Olympics are supposed to be the ultimate showcase of amatuer talent - if wrestling does not qualify, I'm not sure what does.

This is a sad day for international sports...

Let me start by saying that I agree that this is a travesty and I cannot fathom the thought process behind this decision.

With that said, the big payoff for athletes that love to wrestle is quickly becoming MMA.  I don't think this decision kills wrestling because these skills are still needed for those who are persuing MMA as a career.

Here is a sport that used to be in there:

Under Water Plunge -

2pts for each meter you swim underwater.  1 pt for each second you stay under.  So the goal was to swim 60 meters underwater AS SLOW as you possibly could.  The guy that got second swam his 60 meters underwater FASTER than the guy that won swam his 60 meters.  How’s that for an event.

I'm not going to pretend to know much about the IOC and FILA, but it seems to me that some of the blame here should be placed on wrestlings governing body. 

Does anyone think that recent rule changes have damaged the sport?  I find freestyle and greco to confusing, but I really only coach folkstyle so can someone with more information weigh-in.  Not just to rule changes, but on FILA in general.

Also does anyone know if greco and freestyle are a package,  or if one could stay and the other go.  Freestyle seems much more popular, but that may just be here in the U.S., greco may be more popular in other areas.

Also to consider,  TV coverage of wrestling on the olympics is and always has been horrible.  I watched a lot of olympics and only saw a brief 30 second highlight of wrestling.  I did watch some on the internet, at that was the only way I could watch.  Maybe it was on some obscure satelite channel. 

My estimate of  coverage is Gymnastics -40%,  Swimming 35%, Track & field 20% and other sports 7% ???.  So maybe sour grapes, but the olympics is overrated.

I blame FILA as much as the IOC. If you look at the rules over the last 30 years it has changed drasticly. I can remember wrestling AAU in the 80's/90's the rules today are just plain stupid in my opinion. I hate to see it go but don't just blame the IOC, FILA could have saved it by not making so many strange rules.

I did not know this but it still seems FILA could have prevented this, the rule changes are still so strange!

The reduction of weight classes and rule changes were all done based off of pressure from the IOC. The IOC is a corrupt organization and money, hookers and bribes are their standard business practice.

The reduction of weight classes and rule changes were all done based off of pressure from the IOC. The IOC is a corrupt organization and money, hookers and bribes are their standard business practice.

Sounds like the NHC conference....just kidding.

FILA even mentioned something about adding a couple weight classes during NON-Olympic years and the IOC told them "it wouldn't be a good idea."  FILA must have sent hookers that looked like Rulon with a wig.

The ugly hookers plus they sent "Boones Farm Wine" instead of Dom Perrion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.