Wrestling Removed from the Olympics! Something is VERY wrong in the world...

OldGoatGrappler

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest "blowback" from this could be more college A.D's throwing wrestling under the bus. Since they are under a tremendous amount of funding and Title IX pressure they may see this as their "out" in dropping wrestling.Probably not Big !0 schools but maybe those that are more on the fringe of competitiveness. Then you add in the fact that schools that may want to start or restart programs will have a more difficult if not impossible time. This news really sucks during  of the best week of  wrestling in Indiana. Talk about trying to spoil Christmas.

Just reading that article again gives me the same sick-to-my-stomach feeling I had after getting upset in the ticket round my senior year.

You know what the best thing about a governing body is? They can be replaced. Easily. You stop getting support from the IOC, you get it from somewhere else.

Wrestling will continue. As long as we have kids willing to wrestle for the love of the sport and people willing to teach, coach and ref. It's not like we do this for the money...

It is a thumbing of the ioc at the U.S. the only strategy inannouncing it in a off year for olympics, doesn't draw as much attention and forces the people voting to pick between baseball and wrestling the next time they vote. News flash= wrestling needs to change its scoring a lil. cant be 1-0 and both wrestlers stalling until last 15 seconds of 3rd to take a shot.not for the avg fan anyways.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/put-pressure-ioc-overturn-their-decision-drop-wrestling-olympics-2020/ClDPYshl

Here's a little better whitehouse.gov petition than the one I posted earlier.  Jay Mohr tweeted it today, after having Rulon And Cael on his show (I didn't hear it, but I guess he was pretty fired up about the IOC decision).

Anyhow its got over 11,000 signatures, and simply asks the U.S. to pressure the IOC into keeping wrestling, not boycotting the Olympics. With over 11,000 signatures and some big names getting out there I would  assume this is the "official"  petition.  It takes just a few minutes to sign-up.  It would be cool if we could get to the 100,000 mark. 

If anyone runs across another petition put it up here, I'm sure it will get a few more signings from the fans on here.

follow the money....

This is it...period.

I took my son to the Big Ten Championships last year at Purdue.  At best Mackey was 1/2 full.  Tickets for all 3 sessions (the good seats) was like 40$.  You can not get better wrestling for that price.  I DVR all the college wrestling and watch when i can.  I did the same thing for the olympics.  I am not condoning the IOC, but where is the support from all the fans that are "outraged"?  Indiana only has 7or 8 schools that actually have wrestling...I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

What are you doing?  Complaining?  Do something!

I thought this was a good response from a respected coach/official:

February, 2013

TO:  SOUTHERN PLAINS COACHES & STATE LEADERS

FR: RUSTY DAVIDSON

RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches & Leaders,

February 12, 2013

This is a hard day.  I’m gonna’ start this with a question.  Why is it that a kid, who has just been thrown for five, will fight off his back for nearly two minutes ?

There’s something in him that knows his family won’t tolerate a quitter.  He’s heard his coaches talk, over and over and over, about poise and confidence against adversity.  Every fiber of him believes that, somehow… some way… there’s a chance.  He digs down, digs in and hangs on.

My day started like a lot of yours, reading the gut-punching news that the IOC put forth a recommendation that Wrestling be eliminated from the 2020 menu.  Like many, I have spent the day fielding texts and emails and phone calls.

Now, the disclaimer:  I’m not anybody to know anything, or think anything, or say anything.  Still, I am willing and anxious to say this, my friends… “Hang On !”

This news hurt me to my core.  I’m sure it did you, too.  But, if we are what we say we are, we’ve got to honor our family, our coaching and our gut.  We are built to confront adversity with honor.  We are coded to cry alone, but never to let our adversaries see us break.

Our family, in this time of anguish, is global.  I am convinced that every wrestler in the United States, in Russia, in Iran, in every club in every country, is beside themselves with worry.  As a member of that family, I cannot think that I am the only one hurting.  My family will not tolerate a quitter.

Our coaches, in this regard, are the leadership of USA Wrestling and of FILA.  Both practice what they preach… Poise and Confidence in the face of adversity.  I was impressed with our National Staff today, behind the leadership of Rich Bender.  We got information-rich coaching in an email of “Talking Points”.  This is available to all on  www.themat.com

Our legacy proves that Wrestling owns the oldest and richest tradition in sport.  Our un-paralleled work ethic proves that we can do what it takes to mesmerize 21st century television audiences, world-wide.

As we peck away at this, I will make it my business to brag about Wrestling.  I gain nothing and no one by bashing another person’s sport.  Wrestling does not shine, when I condemn IOC members for making, what they see as, a pure business proposal.

We’re on our backs, my friends.  There’s no magic powder.  We simply have to trust our family upbringing and our coaching and our gut.  It is in our nature to find a way.  Hang On !

Best Regards to Team and Family,

Rusty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.