Wrestling Removed from the Olympics! Something is VERY wrong in the world...

OldGoatGrappler

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot the drugged up cyclists.

;D    what about the roided up shot putters.....is that actually a word...?  I'd rather watch a bunch of kilt wearing scots toss cabers and some matadors dodge bulls than watch a 300 pound man...or woman....throw a little metal ball...

The IOC members must not be big fans of Russian Vodka.

Instead of bribing the IOC members with cash, hookers and fine spirits and a resulting anonymous vote,  maybe it would be fairer to put the name of each sport on a little ball and then put it in a bag, and have the IOC president pull a ball out of the bag.  Then that sport is cut.  Maybe the sport that provides the hottest hookers would have less balls in the bag. 

Saw this on The Mat Forums...

If your girl decides she doesn't want to be with you anymore, you have two basic choices:

A. Fall to your knees, wrap your arms around her and beg her not to leave.

B. Find someone better- a girl who doesn't put half the restrictions on you that the other one did.

The Olympics doesn't want us. It's time to move on and find a better relationship.

You want 10 weight classes in Freestyle and Greco? You got 'em.

Create your own Olympics. Make it something beyond the World Championships.

Collegiate rowing has a model. The men are not governed by the NCAA. They created the Intercollegiate Rowing Association in the late 1800's, and today, in 2013, the IRA championship is considered the National Championship.

Let's do the same. We don't need the IOC and they don't want us. We can create an Olympics of our own design. It's perfect.

If American wrestling is getting this riled up, can you imagine what the Russian Wrestling Fed is like...? They've dominated for so long recently that telling them they can't wrestle in the Olympics would have been like the IOC removing hockey from the 1976 Winter Games and then trying to explain why to the Soviets...

http://deadspin.com/5983637/the-ioc-eliminates-wrestling-from-the-2020-olympics-for-some-reason

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pressure-united-states-olympic-committee-boycott-2020-olympics-if-wrestling-isnt-included-sport/ymlfs0vJ

Here is a link to one of the white house petitions.  This one seems to be in its infancy, and is pretty harsh, but feel free to sign up and sign it.  I did.

http://deadspin.com/5983637/the-ioc-eliminates-wrestling-from-the-2020-olympics-for-some-reason

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pressure-united-states-olympic-committee-boycott-2020-olympics-if-wrestling-isnt-included-sport/ymlfs0vJ

Here is a link to one of the white house petitions.  This one seems to be in its infancy, and is pretty harsh, but feel free to sign up and sign it.  I did.

Signed!

Its all money...the hefty majority of wrestling at that level is boring for the average fan. While sports that are races (like swimming) are easy for fans to quickly understand and get excited for. having to explain why a wrestler got 3 points instead of 1 is hard for causl sports fans to grasp. If they can add a sport like softball or baseball that would pull in a multitude more fans, thus better ratings, thus more money for sponsorships and ad revenue.

Is it STUPID. Yeah. But its all about the money. Thats the sad truth.

what makes the olyimpics the be all end all...

Im with AJ create something better...

EDIT: That petition sends the wrong message...we cant participate so the rest of the country's athletes shouldnt either? Im not gonna tell the swim team they shouldnt get to compete. Thats just selfish and we as a sport are better than that.

EDIT: That petition sends the wrong message...we cant participate so the rest of the country's athletes shouldnt either? Im not gonna tell the swim team they shouldnt get to compete. Thats just selfish and we as a sport are better than that.

I dont disagree, and don't really think that the petition will go anywhere.  It would be cool to see if the 100,000 threshold could be reached by the wrestling community.  I don't know if this particular petition is the right route, but something related to it seems worthwhile.

I think the International anti doping agency needs to Drug test the jerks that voted to eliminate one of the original olympic sports. I read about 70 countries are involved in the sport and there are sports with much less world wide participation. They should be trying to grow the number of mainstream sports not cut them down and replace with strange ones.

follow the money....

Your best quote yet Nick!  It is a simple financial decision for the IOC.  It's terrible, but that is why Golf is being added because it's all about the dollars.  So instead of seeing Jordan Burroughs holding up an American flag we have John daly smoking a cigarette  while competing in a so called sport.  Nailed It!

Well this could be the one event that brings nations like Iran, Russia, and America all together to fight for a common thread. I recently returned from Greece, and it is obvious that wrestling has a prestigious past in the Olympics, but its all about the money. It's survival of the fittest, we need to make a come back.

Its all money...the hefty majority of wrestling at that level is boring for the average fan. While sports that are races (like swimming) are easy for fans to quickly understand and get excited for. having to explain why a wrestler got 3 points instead of 1 is hard for causl sports fans to grasp. If they can add a sport like softball or baseball that would pull in a multitude more fans, thus better ratings, thus more money for sponsorships and ad revenue.

Is it STUPID. Yeah. But its all about the money. Thats the sad truth.

what makes the olyimpics the be all end all...

Im with AJ create something better...

I'm not going to sign that petition either after reading it.  It's bad enough that our sport has been removed from the 2020 Olympiad, I'm not going to ask thousands of other athletes to protest and lose their shot at glory.

excerpt from NY Times:

In recent years, . . . the I.O.C. has expressed concern about the growing size of the Summer Games and has wanted to cap the number of athletes at about 10,500. It has also said it wants to draw younger viewers among the international television audience. Among the sports that wrestling must compete with for future inclusion in the Games are climbing and wakeboarding . . .

climbing and wakeboarding??????

Well this could be the one event that brings nations like Iran, Russia, and America all together to fight for a common thread. I recently returned from Greece, and it is obvious that wrestling has a prestigious past in the Olympics, but its all about the money. It's survival of the fittest, we need to make a come back.

This case is not about money as field hockey will not generate any more or interest than wrestling.  See the quote below about the Pentathlon adovocate Antonio Smaranch Jr whose Dad was IOC president and is on the IOC board.  These guys were trying to save their beloved sport "Pentathlon".    This is politics, as these guys made a backroom deal to save their sport and they needed an unsuspecting target to ambush,  and the wrestling community was not ready for this attack.  This is a pure case of nepotism and maybe some prostitutes.

Quote from Flowrestling

In a single line in the AP release, and only in a few of its iterations, it was noted that the pentathlon’s chief advocate was none other than Juan Antonio Samaranch, Jr., the son of the former IOC President who still serves as a IOC board member.

Wrestling has always been a doormat for the Olympics. The sport has provided some of the best athletes in Olympic history and not to mention one of the greatest moment in all of sports history, Blatnick's gold medal in '84. Remember or heard of that? Probably not, the guy didn't do anything spectacular like overcome cancer to win a gold medal. This is just one example if wrestling not being recognized for its greatness.

This is rediculos, If ping pong stays as well as competitive trampoline jumping and wrestling gets removed I will give up on sports forever! Ain't nobody got time for this!

Chris Brown Quoted "Alexander the Great found comfort in wrestling as did Socrates who once said: “I swear it upon Zeus an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.” The ancients new wrestling, and modern society needs to know wrestling." "

We live in a world where Wrestling is removed from it's rightful places as a cornerstone of the Greatest Peaceful Competition known, and whose strongest nation has TWICE elected a completely incompetent fool.

What do these things have in common?  FEAR OF HARD WORK AND PRODUCTIVITY.

Let's be honest, the IOC has shunned the Wrestling community for decades.  No TV coverage to speak of, very little press at all...no promotion in the Mainstream Media.

Wrestling is now what it has always been...Larger Than The Olympics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.