So MD when is it time to bring in Mauer and Coughlin to coach?

Jayruss

Coaching a few wrestlers and running a total program are two totally different things. What are these guys doing these days for a living? It seems like a pretty tall order to expect two young guys to come in and run a program like that without having jobs in the building or at least one of the feeders. Even private schools have down years, not to mention they are young and only have a few hundred kids in the building. Greg's doing fine. Give him time.

Great programs take their bumps and bruises and find ways to rebuild and reload. You see it in every program, not one team will always remain elite without a blemish. Mater Dei is still Mater Dei, and has a great coach in place. They will be back, they have some very good individuals on the middle school level right now. It is tough to realize it with Mater Dei only taking two to state this year and even Bellmont with  only one qualifier, but both teams are reloading right now and both teams have some real good quality coming up.

I think the southern part of the state is catching on to what it takes to have a successful program.. By starting new feeder programs , leagues and traveling to a lot of tournaments. MD has been doing it for years with their Catholic league and traveling to Indy and Illinois to find competion. I think things will balance out well for the city in the next two to three years. Thats when Memorial , Castle , Central and the rest of the SIEWC kids will start making some contributions to our schools and maybe then we will talk about 4 or 5 kids from Eville Regional having a chance for a State Title. Cant leave out the young MD talent . Its a cycle and its coming around , just open your eyes. Almost every school has a club now which makes it even tougher. Its not like the old days .

Well, at least we might not have to fight for some lower seats at Bankers Life this year like in the past.  You all know what I am talking about.  A few people come in and lay their coats over the seats and tell you that these 2000 seats are taken.

I don't think its a coaching problem. Those coaches are doing the best with what they have which is a young team. The calvary is coming that will make Perry Meridian envious especially since they are home grown and not cherry picked!

Wow, I remember back when everyone claimed that the private Catholic schools cherry picked their team....My, how times are changing. Perry Meridian has been building a juggernaut of a program for quite awhile now and a lot of people can't accept it for whatever reason.  I am just a fan of wrestling and I don't side with any one school but if you go to a Perry dual, there are about a hundred other kids on the team that aren't starting. That to me sounds like a dedicated program like the Mater Dei of past years.

Mater Dei is very very young!  The 152 Forzely who advanced to state is only a sophomore!  They only have 4 seniors this year and not very many juniors! 

If Mauer and Coughlin turn Gibson Southern around and produce some state placers and qaulifiers then I could see Mater Dei wanting them.  They were great wrestlers but it does not translate into being a good coach. 

Word is some Mater Dei parents and fans want Greg out and Mauer Coughlin in!

I don't want Greg out by any means, I speak for my self and can't begin to tell you how the mojority of MD fans feel. I can tell you that Greg's resume' speaks for it's self. Greg knows how to win and will focus on the guys he has left for this year. The next few years look good for MD we have some fine wrestlers working to get to their goals. As for Blake and Matt, they have goals too, I'm sure everyone at MD wants them to be succsessfull (just not aginst us  ;)). I'm very proud of the guys we have representing MD at the finals this year and I'm very proud of the wrestlers we had on the team this year, for a team w/ 10 Frosh and Sophs to bring that many to Semi-state says quite a bit. Not every team at MD can be the states #1 team but as all of you know every wrestler out there in our state can be part of a great sport and continue to work for their goals. PM has built their program and has some very tallented wrestlers MD knows what it takes to be great, it looks like PM does too. Good luck to everyone this weekend, let's enjoy what's left of this season.

What a shame. Always the coaches fault when something doesn't go the way people want it to. Greg is a good coach and the team that he had to work with this year was young. MD fans have to realize that MD is not going to take 8-13 kids to state every year. The competition is getting tougher and tougher every day with all these feeder leagues going on(which is great by the way). As with any other team, they are going through a rebuild stage. Wait till next year with the likes of Lee, Hinderliteter and crew coming aboard.

Great programs take their bumps and bruises and find ways to rebuild and reload. You see it in every program, not one team will always remain elite without a blemish. Mater Dei is still Mater Dei, and has a great coach in place. They will be back, they have some very good individuals on the middle school level right now. It is tough to realize it with Mater Dei only taking two to state this year and even Bellmont with  only one qualifier, but both teams are reloading right now and both teams have some real good quality coming up.

Absolutely correct and good post(s) by you and jjacoby.

We like Blake and Matt right where they are at...lol!

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

The MD Haters are out in force.  It is convenient to forget that last year that was one of Mater Dei’s all-time teams:  9 state advancers with 5 placers.  That team was undefeated going into the state duals, and was beaten in the semis by a very strong Perry Meridian team.  This, of course, is ancient history. 

Here are some adjectives used, on this message board, to describe this year’s team:  “not good”, “inexperienced”, “not what they used to be” and “weak”.  In Indiana, this weak and inexperienced team lost to only two teams, forfeiting two weight classes, to Merrillville (by ten) and Bloomington South (on seventh criteria). 

Meanwhile, Mater Dei did not lose a dual meet to any southern Indiana opponent en route to large winning margins at the SIAC, sectional and regional.  If another Southern Indiana team would have accomplished what this year’s Mater Dei team accomplished, the crowing on this board would have been endless.  Posters on this board are quick to criticize Mater Dei Wrestling; they are less quick to compare their own program’s performance to that of Mater Dei’s. 

Regardless of the sport, Indiana folks always have an opinion on their coach—Mater Dei fans are no exception.  A handful of Mater Dei fans feel that since MD no longer wins a state title every year, that the coaching must be poor and a change is warranted.  The vast majority of knowledgeable MD fans know that Greg Schaefer and his staff get great effort, performance and results from their wrestlers. 

Mater Dei also fields competitive middle school, elementary and league teams.  At these levels, about 50 volunteer coaches are involved.  Among these coaches are former state champs and D1 athletes.  Talk to these people and you will find strong confidence in the coaching staff and direction of the program. 

MD has tremendous commitment to quality competition.  The Mater Dei Holiday Classic was beefed up this year with the addition of some strong in and out of state competition.  MD’s middle school and elementary teams travel great distances to wrestle duals and individual tournaments. 

On the other hand, the Haters may be right….the program is weak, the coaching is poor and MD is in decline.  Haters, here is your chance—urge your AD to get MD’s elementary, middle school or high school team on your schedule.  It could turn out to be an easy win for you.

Every program has bumps and bruises, and this year MD took their fair share.  A young team, coupled with some pretty key injuries (there just isn't an easy way to replace an Evan Collins) - and yet they still performed at a very high level - a level that many teams would dream of. Was semi-state surreal - in some ways yes it was, but the reality is that the outcome wasn't very far from what I thought might happen due to the draws and the way the brackets lined up. Overall, I was disappointed for the Evansville schools as a whole, not just for MD.  That being said...tough times never last, but tough "prgrams" do...MD will be back with a vengence, Greg will be at the helm, and the MD faithful will be in the stands rooting for our wrestlers and wishing our red & gold brethren luck as Blake & Matt bring the G.S. program back to life. 

I'd like to see Mauer and Coughlin stay at Gibson Southern for a while and get that program going. They had a young team and I think next year they can get a couple to state. One of their best wrestlers was out for the season with a broken collar bone.

Slightly off topic, but what happened to Wyatt Seng this year?  Did he not wrestle?  Did he get beat out?

Wyatt Seng did wrestle.  He wasn't able to crack the Varsity line-up this year, at his weight.  He had a very successful JV season and got some Varsity matches in as well.  You'll see him in the lineup next year.

We MD fans can sometimes be like 2 year old children.  We want what we want, and we want it now.  We have gotten spoiled.  Just like football where we had some really down years, and the the Schiff brothers came along.  That and a ton of size and speed.  Don't worry MD fans.  Once the young and new talent develops we will start hearing about our ability to recruit agian.  LOL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.