Yorktown student, parents seek injunction against IHSAA

AJ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if his parents made him changed schools because of his declining grades, I agree with the parents.  But it brings up 2 new questions. 1) If he had declining grades why did they let him continue wrestling and 2) Why fight the IHSAA until he brings his grades up from the declining grades he had at his previous school.  To me there are more things to worry about than a kids eligibility.

Judging from past rulings they don't have a chance, and if it goes very far in court the season will be over and it will be irrelevant anyway.

i thought you could go anywhere you want now.  there's kids all around us going  to different schools then where they live, or saying they live with a relative. How is this any different?

i thought you could go anywhere you want now.  there's kids all around us going  to different schools then where they live, or saying they live with a relative. How is this any different?

As a freshman, as long as a school system has open enrollment you can go where ever you, once you've started at a high school you are now subject to the same transfer rules that the IHSAA has always had. Or at least that's how I understand it.

The Indiana Department of Education has opened the doors to allow for more movement between schools.  However, the IHSAA by-laws still can be enforced of the athletic side of things.

The Indiana Department of Education has opened the doors to allow for more movement between schools.  However, the IHSAA by-laws still can be enforced of the athletic side of things.

The problem is that they are enforced at whim, there's no consistency or logic to them. They need to either enforce the rules uniformly or not at all now that the DOE allows students to go anywhere.

"Open enrollment" is still up to the school districts.  If a district is growing or already at or over capacity, then they do not have to accept any students from outside their district boundaries.

For athletic eligibility, the student must begin his/her freshman year at a school.  Any change in enrollment after that point is considered a transfer and must abide by IHSAA rules.

Boot - If both school administrators "sign off" on the transfer, then the IHSAA does not see the need to investigate the reasons behind the transfer.  That's why there are situations where, to the public, it seems shady, but the IHSAA doesn't seem to do anything about it.  They don't have to.  If either school doesn't sign off on it, then that's when the IHSAA has to look into it and eligibility probably will be lost.

Yorktown wrestler's bid for temporary restraining order denied

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20111124/NEWS01/111240328/Yorktown-wrestler-s-bid-temporary-restraining-order-denied

The above is in todays Muncie newspaper.

From the article: "Vorhees said "most convincing to me" were the collections of emails Mark Walker sent to the Alexandria coach, apparently at times comparing that school's wrestling program to Yorktown's."

I know of at least two quality wrestlers that switched schools this year because they weren't satisfied with where they were at from a wrestling standpoint, they had no problems because they maintained a civil relationship with the coaching staff and administration of their past school and simply wanted to better themselves and their situation. You gotta be smart enough to do things right, remember the old saying..."what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive "

Posted by: Charger wrestling dad 

Insert Quote

What amazes me is how it seems to be the same schools who are regularly involved with this kind of situation and often accused of recruiting. Makes me think "where there is smoke there is fire"  and seems to give these accusations some substance.

Well put Charger, this is the same school that was investigated last year for some of the same reasons (and previous years from what I have heard).  Once you build a reputation it should be no surprise that these situations are looked at a little more closely by the authorities (IHSAA).  If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish and flops around like a fish....It probalby is a fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Well put Charger, this is the same school that was investigated last year for some of the same reasons (and previous years from what I have heard).  Once you build a reputation it should be no surprise that these situations are looked at a little more closely by the authorities (IHSAA).  If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish and flops around like a fish....It probalby is a fish!!!!!!!!!!!

Either that or Y2 on the mat...... i kid i kid

I agree, "where there is smoke, there is fire, " but winning recruits itself.  I don't how directly involved the Yorktown wrestling community may or may not have been in the process, however, they are a winning program and winners don't need to recruit- kids just want to attend.  Either way very fishy.  Feel sorry the young man; now he is going to miss out on his junior year of wrestling- seemingly due to his parents and not his own wishes- absolute shame.  Prime example of when academics are trumped by sports.

I can't speak for every wrestler that's ever transferred to Yorktown, but Yorktown is a great high school academically and far better than anything Madison County has to offer, with the exception of maybe Pendleton Heights (which would be almost a 30 minute drive from Alexandria; Yorktown on the other hand is about 10 minutes away).  Also the student population is, on average, far more driven and intellectually advanced.  The fact that Yorktown also has a great wrestling program is really just a plus (it also doesn't hurt that many of these kids have wrestled there at the club level for 10+ years).  Again, I can't speak for everyone, but I know several of the wrestlers intimately and really cannot say enough good things about them and their respective families.  I know for a fact that Anderson High School's graduation rate wasn't even 60% in 2010, while their rate for black males was 39%, which was the lowest in the state.  You cannot tell me you would send your child to such a school.   

If these parents were truly making the move for academic purposes they would not be suing the IHSAA.  If this young man had such bad grades at his previous school I would think that his parents should be fine with being able to take a year to get his grades in order so that he can wrestle as a senior.

If these parents were truly making the move for academic purposes they would not be suing the IHSAA.  If this young man had such bad grades at his previous school I would think that his parents should be fine with being able to take a year to get his grades in order so that he can wrestle as a senior.

I completely agree. They made the move for Wrestling and now that he is not able to Wrestle.They are trying to get his eligibility back by this. But rules are rules and they can't allow any room for 'wiggling' you might say.

Well put, I if I moved my kids for Academics I probably would not be worried about them playing sports. As great as the sport of wrestling is for the growth of a young man, a high school education is way more important to a child possibility of success in his adult life.

God forbid they moved to give him a better athletic AND academic situation

After lookiong at the data from the DOE Ytown is actually not head and shoulders above Alexandria in education.  Similar graduation rates, ISTEP scores and ECA results.

Declining grades were the problem?  If Yorktown is so intellectually advanced, the competition is going to force his grades down further.

Two good rules of thumb:  (1) when they say it's not about the money, it's about the money; and (2) when they say it's not about the athletics, it's about the athletics.

Declining grades were the problem?  If Yorktown is so intellectually advanced, the competition is going to force his grades down further.

Two good rules of thumb:  (1) when they say it's not about the money, it's about the money; and (2) when they say it's not about the athletics, it's about the athletics.

How so?  Most high schools I know don't grade on a curve...

I was born/raised/schooled in Madison County and will say without reservation that Yorktown is the premier public high school in the area.  You can argue metrics and cite empirical evidence but that school churns out far better students year after year.  Compare the colleges the grads attend (top to bottom) and the average scholarship money.  I'm not saying a good school is the cure-all, as the student has to put in the work.  But these decisions aren't made in a vacuum and there are often mitigating factors.  For people who participate in (are are serious about) athletics, sports are often an important selling point.  If they end up at a better school what's the big deal?

I know of two (and I know both very well) wrestlers at another top program who are essentially attending the high school for wrestling purposes.  I think both kids are excellent and have bright futures (wrestling notwithstanding), but am unsure why nobody is up in arms over the kids that successfully transfer (or attend a different school entirely) every day purely for athletics.  It doesn't just happen in wrestling, either. 

Any way, there's no reason to judge when you don't have all the specifics.  And whoever mentioned that good programs don't have to recruit, you are absolutely correct.

In the last 6 or 7 years, since I have followed wrestling, I have noticed the actions of Yorktown staff have been questionably bad for the sport of wrestling.

What does the Yorktown staff have to do with this issue? Should they have guarded the school doors and not let the kid in the building?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.