Cody Phillips

wrist and wing

I think he's a champ (and acted like it in defeat), that suffered a loss to a tough-as-nails competitor that is a great wrestler in his own right. While the match yesterday was dominated by Mason (enough so that many will say Todd has his number), I would bet that Cody will come back as strong as ever and figure a way to get inside on Todd . I wouldn't dare guess who would come out on top.

If they meet again....it will be a classic!

I think he's a champ (and acted like it in defeat), that suffered a loss to a tough-as-nails competitor that is a great wrestler in his own right. While the match yesterday was dominated by Mason (enough so that many will say Todd has his number), I would bet that Cody will come back as strong as ever and figure a way to get inside on Todd . I wouldn't dare guess who would come out on top.

If they meet again....it will be a classic!

Agree 100%. I think some others in that weight class may have something to say about them meeting up again but if they do, Cody will be more than ready. Didnt Cody pin him a couple years ago? This time Mason got him. Next time will be classic as you said.

The Todd vs. Phillips match was pretty onesided actually. Todd was able to bundle up Phillips arms on three different ocassions, and twice he used that to work takedowns. Todd used his length to his advantage.

If they wrestle again, I think it will be a closer match but the nod might still go to Todd because of the length difference.

It was a great moment for Todd Saturday, but also it was awesome to see just how classy Phillips was in defeat.

But the loss might be fueling Phillips right now too. He's a great, great champion that still has not been dethroned.

my analysis of the match is that Todd had great wrist control (something HOWE used really well when he would tech fall everyone), thus the key for  Phillips is to control the tie and stay away from Todd's tie ups ,,,Todd is super strong. That wrist-headlock-tie-up manuever was very effective, plus Phillips needs to get off bottom quicker. I think we are looking at a really close rematch. But they will both have to earn there way under the lights, Petrov and the rest are tuff as nails....

Phillips looked extremely tough all night long - his match with Price was very impressive.  In the Todd match, there were  a couple of very quick out-of-bounds calls -- one was in the 1st period before any points had been scored, and Phillips appeared to get the takedown (ended up in-bounds) but the ref had already whistled out of bounds.  Later in the match, Todd was in the process of taking Phillips to his back (from the wrist-headlock-tie-up move whatever it was) and again the move ended in-bounds but the ref had already blown the whistle.

Otherwise it was mostly all in Todd's favor.  Those tie-ups seemed to be the key to the standing part of the match.  Also, Todd rode Phillips most of the 2nd period, eventually getting the legs in and having Cody go flat to run the time.

Like others, I agree that the road to the state finals is going to be really difficult.  I also think that Cody is going to have a gameplan to deal with the neutral position -- whether or not he can translate that to takedowns will be the key to the match if they both make it to the finals.  Both great wrestlers and seem to be good young men - I would love to see a rematch under the lights.

I thought Cody handled the loss very well. He not only represented himself well, he represented Union County well. I think Phillips will meet up with Todd again, and have a gameplan to beat Todd. Toddy wreslted an extremely good match, and dominated. With that being said I think Phillips will be more prepared and will avenge his loss.

I was shocked at how Todd dominated that match. If you saw Phillips wrestle the match before against Price, I never would have guessed he was going to lose to Todd. Phillips absolutely dominated Price, but that is why we wrestle each match. I will be rooting for a rematch at state but with Cody winning!

assuming everything goes as I see it happening, Cody will have Brooks in the semi's (Brooks has a tough match in the quarters with Price, and I don't know anything about the kid from Elkart Central that Cody has, who must be pretty good) but assuming these two meet in the semi's, what is the result?

Todd wrestled similarly to the way he wrestled Price in regionals. He stalked, tied up and moved forward consistently, disrupting the timing and amount of distance available to Phillips. As with Price, Phillips looked uncomfortable most of the match. Todd was looked amazing the past two weekends. The semis should be disgustingly tough at 112.

assuming everything goes as I see it happening, Cody will have Brooks in the semi's (Brooks has a tough match in the quarters with Price, and I don't know anything about the kid from Elkart Central that Cody has, who must be pretty good) but assuming these two meet in the semi's, what is the result?

The only thing I will say is experience counts for a lot when the lights burn brightest and, as far as Indiana H.S. wrestling is concerned, they don't burn any brighter than at Conseco.  Phillips is 8-0 under those lights and that will pay huge dividends when everyone and everything tightens up this weekend.  I'm not saying he can't lose but a 7-3 loss in the SS finals does not assure a loss at state.  

Yeah this wieght class is just disgusting. I am super eager to see Todd wrestle. I had heard a lot of people say he had been wrestling way better and might be able to take out Phillips, but I just didn't believe it. With Phillips being as good as he is nationally, it was just too hard to imagine him losing to anyone from indiana this year....just goes to show how much depth our state is gaining and that is awesome. At this rate, people will be talking about which state has the best wrestling and Indiana will surely start getting brought up. Congrats to both wrestlers!!!

Cody Phillips conducted himself like the true champion he is. He is still a very dominate wrestler. This weight class is loaded!! The state matches will sure be fun to watch. I can hardly weight. Mason Todd is back at the weight he was at last year and did very well at this weight. He is a very physical and powerful wrestler with better than average technique. He is the youngest of 3 siblings. His older brothers, both were state qualifiers and Matt was a state runner-up, I believe.  He did give Brenden Campbell all he wanted last year at the NC semi-state, as well. I knew either way this much anticipated match would be a dog fight. I hope to see a rematch. Good Luck to both of these young men. Both seem to come from good families and are both fine young men.

Question is........... what does cody think about cody losing?? Wouldn't want that guy Friday night, Sat. morning, Sat. evening.....................I would say even Sat. night.  Guys... State Champs are a different breed. Remember he has won every state tournament thus far....Number Three will come soon enough!

Cody and Todd both proved their true champions before durin and after the match.  Someone has to lose in the sport.  Cody did lose but his actions after the match were a thing of true sportsmanship.  Thanks Cody for being such a great ambassador to this sport!!!!!!  Remember everyone what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

Cody is a champion.  He will be prepared and ready for battle this weekend.  Everyone has losses, it's how you apply what you learned from the loss to your next battle and I believe he will.  Upsets suck to some, make others happy, the lessons learned from those upsets usually make the one who lost stronger mentally - we all know that and see it in sports and life.  Didn't see the match, but there is no question in my mind he handled the loss like a professional, that is the kind of kid he is.

cody may have the toughest road to a state title. if que wins friday and brooks can beat price and if shepard or todd wins the over side that would be matches against 3 ss champs. my question is has anyone ever defeated 3 ss champs on their way to winning a state title?

I believe Eppert did his senior year.

His Saturday matches were:

Brooks

???

Wright

Of course It all hinges on who he wrestled in the semi's and it escapes me

From the North, so pretty much neutral either way.  But aside from all of the old cliche's, I would bet good money on the 2 timer after having received a wake up call.  The kid has to be fired up now to avenge, and going undefeated for two years, those sparks don't come along at all.  Then again, he could also have met his nemesis?  That is why we all love high school wrestling!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.