BEST TICKET ROUND MATCH EVER

washedupneverwas

what circumstances led to the two of them having to wrestle in the ticket round?

Rosbottom got beat the week before by a New Albany wrestler.  Jankowski had tech falled (is that a word?) at the MD Holiday Classic earlier that season.  Rosbottom beat the kid in the semistate and state finals that year, I believe.

Steve Minton was the NA wrestlers I believe.  Loved the Rosbottom and Jankowski  both because I had wrestled both off these guys in freestyle and because I was just a few feet away from the action.  Most were shocked when they saw the draw that year.  It could have easily been a state finals match that year.

Also, have to give major credit to Jason McAfee of Madison for wrestling a match while his leg was wobbling more than Jello in order to make it to state.  I still can't figure out how he made it through that match other than guts and adrenaline.

Baker and Corpe FT. Wayne Semi-state...One point I believe and Corpe wins State that year..Baker the next...

Which Baker?  The only Baker that has won a title was Billy since Jason won one in '96 and Billy would not have wrestled Nick Corpe, too much of an age difference.  Are you thinking of Steve Stahl and Billy Baker?  That one would be possible

Just to be clear about the Jankowski/Rosbottom match:

Jankowski was a returning state runner-up and Rosbottom a returning state champ.  They were both national caliber wrestlers that didn't have anyone capable of even a close match with them in the entire state except one guy: Steven Minton.  The truth is that both Rosbottom and Jankowski were much better than Minton (Jankowski teched him), but Minton was freaky strong and ran funky stuff.  Rosbottom had to wrestle him SEVEN times that season.  He had crushed him the first time and then beat him 3 more times, each one getting closer and closer until Minton took him out when he wrestled the match of his life at regional in Match #5 between them--and the jacked up IHSAA draw system kicked in at semi-state. 

In all honesty, I think the Jankowski/Rosbottom ticket match was awful on a lot of levels.  Number 1, neither wrestler took any risks at all or was able to do anything against the other.  They both just stalled into double OT; Rosbottom wins the toss and wins the match.  Number 2, how can our system be working when these two are paired up in the first place?  And Number 3, it was never exciting in terms of "who's going to win this match?"  It was just agonizing in terms of "which of these two amazing wrestlers do we not get to see where he belongs--under the lights at Conseco?"  The whole situation was a disgrace in my opinion.

Anyway, Rosbottom wins, as was mentioned, handles Minton in the semi-state and state finals championship matches, and stands on top of the podium.  Minton didn't lose any other matches that year except to Rosbottom and Jankowski.  And Jankowski didn't lose any matches except this OT-criteria groaner to one of the top guys in the nation.

We had a pretty good seat for the Bradbury/Birge match.  That was the best ticket round match I can think of.  Birge was returning state champ.  Bradbury lost to Ramos in the Regional and drew into Birge...Logansport champ.  I believe the final was 16-15 with Bradbury giving up escape/takedown with :15 left and then scoring reversal in the last 5 seconds. 

Jankowski was a returning state runner-up and Rosbottom a returning state champ.  They were both national caliber wrestlers that didn't have anyone capable of even a close match with them in the entire state except one guy: Steven Minton.  The truth is that both Rosbottom and Jankowski were much better than Minton (Jankowski teched him), but Minton was freaky strong and ran funky stuff.  Rosbottom had to wrestle him SEVEN times that season.  He had crushed him the first time and then beat him 3 more times, each one getting closer and closer until Minton took him out when he wrestled the match of his life at regional in Match #5 between them--and the jacked up IHSAA draw system kicked in at semi-state. 

In all honesty, I think the Jankowski/Rosbottom ticket match was awful on a lot of levels.  Number 1, neither wrestler took any risks at all or was able to do anything against the other.  They both just stalled into double OT; Rosbottom wins the toss and wins the match.  Number 2, how can our system be working when these two are paired up in the first place?  And Number 3, it was never exciting in terms of "who's going to win this match?"  It was just agonizing in terms of "which of these two amazing wrestlers do we not get to see where he belongs--under the lights at Conseco?"  The whole situation was a disgrace in my opinion.

Anyway, Rosbottom wins, as was mentioned, handles Minton in the semi-state and state finals championship matches, and stands on top of the podium.  Minton didn't lose any other matches that year except to Rosbottom and Jankowski.  And Jankowski didn't lose any matches except this OT-criteria groaner to one of the top guys in the nation.

From my memory, Rosbottom beat Jankowski in regulation 3-2, with him scoring the only takedown.  I do remember Rosbottom stalling his butt off, just trying to hold on, and the Mater Dei faithful just going nuts.  Outside of that, everything else seems to be spot on.

That is not the way I remember the match at all.  I rememer Rossbottom scored a take down on the whistle in the first period.  Jankowski got his escape.  Both got an escape starting their choice period.  The match ended 3-2 in regulation.  A local sports writer did a story about the match, after watching the tape.  He said Jankowski shot 20 times throughout the match and rossbottomonly one.  But his one shot counted and none of Jankowsi's did.  Not one stalling call in the whole match.  I don't know if he had called stalling if Jankowski could have won, but it would have been nice to see if he could.

That is not the way I remember the match at all.  I rememer Rossbottom scored a take down on the whistle in the first period.  Jankowski got his escape.  Both got an escape starting their choice period.  The match ended 3-2 in regulation.  A local sports writer did a story about the match, after watching the tape.  He said Jankowski shot 20 times throughout the match and rossbottomonly one.  But his one shot counted and none of Jankowsi's did.  Not one stalling call in the whole match.  I don't know if he had called stalling if Jankowski could have won, but it would have been nice to see if he could.

Wow, sorry.  I remember agonizing over the match and being so frustrated that no one was coming close to scoring.  Somewhere along the line, I got in my mind that it went all the way to OT criteria because no one could score.  Woops.  Sorry about that!  Thanks for clearing it up.

By the way, I do remember that Jankowski was more aggressive than Rosbottom, although I don't remember being sold on his offense either (maybe I'm forgetting that part too!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.