CA vs. IN

Just finished watching the California state finals matches. Some spectacular wrestling. I honestly believe Indiana’s state finalists would match up very well with California’s finalists this year.

would love to see our 150 v. Ca 150.

4 hours ago, Beamaker said:

Just finished watching the California state finals matches. Some spectacular wrestling. I honestly believe Indiana’s state finalists would match up very well with California’s finalists this year.

It was the year of Upsets in CFI State Championships much like it was for Indiana . With 4 National Ranked wrestlers got upset in the Semi’s, which might be Cali record for heavy favorites to win their weight to lose . Love California wrestling, the depth every year is mecca of HS wrestling in the Country. I was telling a buddy of mine in California that goes to tournament every year on social media that’s it’s on my bucket list to go see. 

So to your point of matching up very well, I agree but I would give it to California depth and say Cali Top 3-4 would matchup very well with Indiana State Champions . No shade to Indiana State Champs by saying this . Would love to see this and pay the premium to watch . 

22 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

It was the year of Upsets in CFI State Championships much like it was for Indiana . With 4 National Ranked wrestlers got upset in the Semi’s, which might be Cali record for heavy favorites to win their weight to lose . Love California wrestling, the depth every year is mecca of HS wrestling in the Country. I was telling a buddy of mine in California that goes to tournament every year on social media that’s it’s on my bucket list to go see. 

So to your point of matching up very well, I agree but I would give it to California depth and say Cali Top 3-4 would matchup very well with Indiana State Champions . No shade to Indiana State Champs by saying this . Would love to see this and pay the premium to watch . 

Since it won’t let edit , CIF TOP 6 and I might even go CIF TOP 7-8 at some weights . 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Since it won’t let edit , CIF TOP 6 and I might even go CIF TOP 7-8 at some weights . 

Yes, their depth of talent is very, very high. They don't have the "per capita" talent that we do. We're more of a "wrestling state" in terms of how many kids we develop relative to our population--but California's population is so gigantic. They produce a LOT of good kids.

California has a one class wrestling tournament - correct?

Given the size of California, that has got to be one of the toughest State Titles to earn.

Do you know the specifics about the tournament? Specifically, do they have wrestlebacks at all stages?

3 minutes ago, maligned said:

Yes, their depth of talent is very, very high. They don't have the "per capita" talent that we do. We're more of a "wrestling state" in terms of how many kids we develop relative to our population--but California's population is so gigantic. They produce a LOT of good kids.

I agree 100%.

I have pointed this out many times over the years when people want to argue how good of a wrestling state California is. They are good, but it is more a product of how large their population is verses how good their wrestling truly is.

Below is a list of 2023 NCAA DI qualifiers by state per 1 million in population with total qualifiers in parenthesis.

1. Iowa 5.0 qualifiers per 1 million in population (16 total qualifiers)

2. Pennsylvania 3.5 (46)

3. Oklahoma 3.2 (13)

4. Illinois 2.5 (32)

5. New Jersey 2.5 (23)

6. Minnesota 2.1 (12)

7. Ohio 1.9 (22)

8. Missouri 1.9 (12)

9. Michigan 1.6 (16)

10. Colorado 1.5 (9)

11. Indiana 1.0 (7)

12. New York 0.9 (18)

13. California 0.5 (18)

14. Florida 0.4 (9)

As you can see in 2023 while California had 18 qualifiers verses Indiana's 7,  Indiana did twice as good as California if you take into account population size.

7 hours ago, Beamaker said:

Well the kid who was ranked 5th at 150 in California. He is the Gilroy kid who teched/pinned Bo Bassett at Who’s Number 1. Most people said it was because how big he was but late in the season he dropped to 138 and ran through the bracket . Cali 150 Champ also was Super 32 finalist two years ago losing to Sergio Lemley in Championship . 

Edited by JORVILLE

48 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I agree 100%.

I have pointed this out many times over the years when people want to argue how good of a wrestling state California is. They are good, but it is more a product of how large their population is verses how good their wrestling truly is.

Below is a list of 2023 NCAA DI qualifiers by state per 1 million in population with total qualifiers in parenthesis.

2. Pennsylvania 3.5 (46)

3. Oklahoma 3.2 (13)

4. Illinois 2.5 (32)

5. New Jersey 2.5 (23)

6. Minnesota 2.1 (12)

7. Ohio 1.9 (22)

8. Missouri 1.9 (12)

9. Michigan 1.6 (16)

10. Colorado 1.5 (9)

11. Indiana 1.0 (7)

12. New York 0.9 (18)

13. California 0.5 (18)

14. Florida 0.4 (9)

As you can see in 2023 while California had 18 qualifiers verses Indiana's 7,  Indiana did twice as good as California if you take into account population size.

Well you can't blame them.  What would you do, surf or wrestle?  I would be surfing.  Remeber, you "either surf of fight", and Indiana dont surf.

A Summer To Remember Wave GIF by Hallmark Channel

53 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I agree 100%.

2. Pennsylvania 3.5 (46)

3. Oklahoma 3.2 (13)

4. Illinois 2.5 (32)

5. New Jersey 2.5 (23)

6. Minnesota 2.1 (12)

7. Ohio 1.9 (22)

8. Missouri 1.9 (12)

9. Michigan 1.6 (16)

10. Colorado 1.5 (9)

11. Indiana 1.0 (7)

12. New York 0.9 (18)

13. California 0.5 (18)

14. Florida 0.4 (9)

Do you know how many of the qualifiers from Illinois are from Indiana or trained up in the region?

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

California has a one class wrestling tournament - correct?

Given the size of California, that has got to be one of the toughest State Titles to earn.

Do you know the specifics about the tournament? Specifically, do they have wrestlebacks at all stages?

Yes, just like all other states, they use wrestlebacks to ensure proper placing and that the best guys get through, and not award lucky favorable draws. 

5 hours ago, JORVILLE said:

Well the kid who was ranked 5th at 150 in California. He is the Gilroy kid who teched/pinned Bo Bassett at Who’s Number 1. Most people said it was because how big he was but late in the season he dropped to 138 and ran through the bracket . Cali 150 Champ also was Super 32 finalist two years ago losing to Sergio Lemley in Championship . 

Great post! Makes me want to see the match even more!

8 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

I agree on the depth and you can certainly tell the environment is electric!

The caliber of wrestling was so solid. I hope I’m not being a homer, but I felt like many of IN finest would  truly match up very well.  I noticed very strong neutral games and the hip heist was utilized in several matches…effectively I might add.

It was almost surreal seeing D. Cormier on the mat coaching one of his athletes to a title…in a super close match too!

Here's my predictions:

106: Henry Asilkyan dec. Peyton Schoettle (Asilkyan beat #18 Arseni Kikiniou in the finals 6-3)

113: #11 Revin Dickman dec. #17 Rocklin Zinkin

120: Ronnie Ramirez dec. Charlie Larocca (Ramirez, although UR, won a loaded bracket with the #7, #8, #14, and #15)

126: #17 Nikade Zinklin dec. Luke Rioux (Rioux did beat #13 Isaiah Schaefer in the finals, but has been not as consistent, and Zinklin won his bracket with the #6 in it, although they never met)

132: #18 Jake Hockaday dec. G. Elias Navida (#19 and #20 were both in the CA bracket but lost in the semis. Still think Hockaday wins)

138: #1 Daniel Zepeda dec. Kyrel Leavell (CA might hate, but Leavell is talented enough to keep it competitive)

144: Moses Mirabal dec. Easton Doster (Mirabal upset #8 in the country in the finals)

150: #1 Brock Mantanona dec. Wyatt Krejsa

157: #6 Grigor Cholakyan maj. Mitchell Betz (Cholakyan has been good for a while, despite Betz's success this season)

165: #8 Collin Guffey dec. Waylon Cressell (Cressell is probably a top 20 guy at this point but Guffey won a very deep CA bracket)

175: #14 Angelo Posada dec. Chase Leech

190: #11 Sonny Kling dec. Noah Weaver (Weaver could also upset here)

215: #7 Robert Platt dec. Will Clark (CA has some hammers, man)

285: #2 Cody Merrill wbf. Nate Johnson (don't mean to disrespect our big guy but Merrill could beat good college guys right now)

Final Score: CA- 40    IN- 6

Sorry, Indiana, CA's state brackets are ridiculously tough.

2 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Here's my predictions:

106: Henry Asilkyan dec. Peyton Schoettle (Asilkyan beat #18 Arseni Kikiniou in the finals 6-3)

120: Ronnie Ramirez dec. Charlie Larocca (Ramirez, although UR, won a loaded bracket with the #7, #8, #14, and #15)

126: #17 Nikade Zinklin dec. Luke Rioux (Rioux did beat #13 Isaiah Schaefer in the finals, but has been not as consistent, and Zinklin won his bracket with the #6 in it, although they never met)

132: #18 Jake Hockaday dec. G. Elias Navida (#19 and #20 were both in the CA bracket but lost in the semis. Still think Hockaday wins)

138: #1 Daniel Zepeda dec. Kyrel Leavell (CA might hate, but Leavell is talented enough to keep it competitive)

144: Moses Mirabal dec. Easton Doster (Mirabal upset #8 in the country in the finals)

157: #6 Grigor Cholakyan maj. Mitchell Betz (Cholakyan has been good for a while, despite Betz's success this season)

165: #8 Collin Guffey dec. Waylon Cressell (Cressell is probably a top 20 guy at this point but Guffey won a very deep CA bracket)

285: #2 Cody Merrill wbf. Nate Johnson (don't mean to disrespect our big guy but Merrill could beat good college guys right now)

I enjoy your detailed write ups especially your opinions on how Waylon would do. I think you got one right about him. At least he's getting a little more clout now since he won a title in Indiana. He's just not some random "North Dakota" champ even though he spent most of his time there wrestling the #5 kid in the country and multiple ranked kids in Minnesota. Keep underestimating him it's working out perfectly so far.

CA runs both the perfect state tournament and qualifiers in my opinion. I like the way the CIF has its league championships which help for seeding for its section championships, then its section masters, and finally their state championships. They have a 64-man bracket, seeding, wrestlebacks, and wrestle under the lights in sunny California. I’ve been to CA twice now and I hope to watch their state championships in the future.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:30 AM, SIACfan said:

I agree 100%.

2. Pennsylvania 3.5 (46)

3. Oklahoma 3.2 (13)

4. Illinois 2.5 (32)

5. New Jersey 2.5 (23)

6. Minnesota 2.1 (12)

7. Ohio 1.9 (22)

8. Missouri 1.9 (12)

9. Michigan 1.6 (16)

10. Colorado 1.5 (9)

11. Indiana 1.0 (7)

12. New York 0.9 (18)

13. California 0.5 (18)

14. Florida 0.4 (9)

What about for D2, D3, NAIA, and Juco?

On 2/29/2024 at 5:23 PM, TysonNisley said:

Here's my predictions:

There is gonna be a lot more bonus points for the Golden state imo......