Fleeing the Mat - Center Grove

Center Grove has been hit with at least two fleeing the mats during the state tournament and several stall calls!

Center Grove has been such a boring team to watch! They do nothing and win close matches. Kudos to them for winning tough and close matches, but goodness just wrestle!

It’s like their coaches watched the “Stall Camp” Flowrestling special and took the “Why win by 2 when you can win by 1” mentality. 

1 minute ago, CainBones said:

Center Grove has been hit with at least two fleeing the mats during the state tournament and several stall calls!

Center Grove has been such a boring team to watch! They do nothing and win close matches. Kudos to them for winning tough and close matches, but goodness just wrestle!

It’s like their coaches watched the “Stall Camp” Flowrestling special and took the “Why win by 2 when you can win by 1” mentality. 

This ^^^^

I have heard “Make them wrestle!” directed at Center Grove wrestlers from fans at least 13 times.

1 minute ago, CainBones said:

They do nothing and win close matches.

They have had several matches in the first two rounds that were won by a solid margin. And most kids are going to tighten up some on the action against top level opponents in the semis with a state final bid on the line. So while their maybe some strategic decisions on when to open things up I’m not sure I’d say “they do nothing and win close matches”.  

And someone on their staff completely forgot to let Krejsa in on this team plan.  That’s kids been on a mission almost the entire time on the mat.   

5 minutes ago, HawkinIndy said:

This ^^^^

I have heard “Make them wrestle!” directed at Center Grove wrestlers from fans at least 13 times.

One fan was absolutely beside himself with the injury timeout taken by McConnell, I heard him across the Ford Center!

41 minutes ago, MattM said:

They have had several matches in the first two rounds that were won by a solid margin. And most kids are going to tighten up some on the action against top level opponents in the semis with a state final bid on the line. So while their maybe some strategic decisions on when to open things up I’m not sure I’d say “they do nothing and win close matches”.  

And someone on their staff completely forgot to let Krejsa in on this team plan.  That’s kids been on a mission almost the entire time on the mat.   

He's been like that the whole year . Krejsa wrestles with an edge , like he's mad that your even toeing the line with him . 

Just now, greco165 said:

So what's the difference between wrestling the edge (smart wrestling) and fleeing? Do the rules expound on this?

Fleeing is intentionally and obviously  escaping from a situation that is not favorable to you.

It usually happens on an edge of the mat takedown and kids are leaping/lunging out of bounds versus going out of bounds from “wrestling actions”. 

2 minutes ago, CainBones said:

Fleeing is intentionally and obviously  escaping from a situation that is not favorable to you.

It usually happens on an edge of the mat takedown and kids are leaping/lunging out of bounds versus going out of bounds from “wrestling actions”. 

But how do you interpret a sprawl out of bounds? This is a very vague call

1 minute ago, greco165 said:

But how do you interpret a sprawl out of bounds? This is a very vague call

A sprawl would be a “wrestling action”, which would not be subject to a fleeing the mat call. 

4 minutes ago, CainBones said:

A sprawl would be a “wrestling action”, which would not be subject to a fleeing the mat call. 

Wrestling action could be defined as having action with a tie setting up a move, even backing up.  You could have snap action interpreted as fleeing. There is a large gray area

8 minutes ago, greco165 said:

Wrestling action could be defined as having action with a tie setting up a move, even backing up.  You could have snap action interpreted as fleeing. There is a large gray area

Essentially, going backwards =/= stalling automatically

On 2/17/2024 at 4:08 PM, greco165 said:

So what's the difference between wrestling the edge (smart wrestling) and fleeing? Do the rules expound on this?

First, it is very subjective & no two officials are going to call it exactly the same.

Second, wrestling the edge is not smart wrestling. It is actually in the NFHS rules that "playing the edge of the mat" is stalling. It needs to be called more. But again it is subjective. Did wrestler A push wrestler B to the edge, or did wrestler B backup to the edge. Who is trying to play the edge?

Third, simply pushing your opponent out of bounds without ever attempting a TD technique is stalling also. It is in the rules.

But to your question. The difference between stalling & fleeing can be & is often difficult to distinguish. IMO, fleeing has to be flagrant. The example I am about to use is certainly not the only situation that can happen but it is a good example where the same result can be "wrestling action", "stalling" or "fleeing".

1) Wrestler A pushes wrestler B to the edge then when A shoots B sprawls out of bounds - wrestling action.

2) Wrestler B backs up to the edge while engaged with his opponent then sprawls out of bounds as wrestler A shoots - stalling.

3) Wrestler B backs up to the edge avoiding engagement & runs/steps out of bounds as wrestler A shoots - fleeing.

My point is that the same result happened in the 3 scenarios but the subtle differences should lead to a different call by the official. But the difference between pushing, backing-up & avoiding can be subtle & will be interpreted differently by every different individual. Especially by those who have a bias one way or the other.

On 2/17/2024 at 2:55 PM, CainBones said:

190 does it all the time for CG. It’s not fun to watch so many stops no action the last 2 years every match I saw him wrestle everyone is screaming in stands. Rewatch the Purdy match last year and Gunner Henry this year it is ridiculous.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:04 PM, CainBones said:

One fan was absolutely beside himself with the injury timeout taken by McConnell, I heard him across the Ford Center!

It’s because he does it every match when someone is equal or a better wrestler.

35 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

All wrestlers have the option to take injury time, it is in the rules.

If you don't like the rule fine, but calling out a wrestler for taking advantage of the rules is...

Against the integrity of the rule and the sport, in my humble opinion.  Being tired is not an injury and it takes away the advantage of the wrestler who has put in the work to keep up the pace for the entire match.  I understand this is taking advantage of the way the rule is written, however if you believe it should include getting out of a not so favorable situation or taking a breather because you’re tired, we have a different definition of what an “injury” is.  

27 minutes ago, Hornet Coach said:

Against the integrity of the rule and the sport, in my humble opinion.  Being tired is not an injury and it takes away the advantage of the wrestler who has put in the work to keep up the pace for the entire match.  I understand this is taking advantage of the way the rule is written, however if you believe it should include getting out of a not so favorable situation or taking a breather because you’re tired, we have a different definition of what an “injury” is.  

Hence my statement about if you don't like the rule. I get that some will take advantage against the spirit of the rule. That is why I prefer the college rule. No free injury stoppage, opponent gets positional choice after the first stoppage.

I seen one match this weekend and can't remember which one however the kid looked exhausted when he was taken down and his coach called for injury time.  Kid gets up and goes over to coaches and no medical staff looks at him.  Gets a breather and some water and goes back at it and wins.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:55 PM, CainBones said:

Center Grove has been such a boring team to watch

Interesting take.  So LaRocca, VanderLuitgaren, Courtney, Krejsa and Johnson are all boring? 

Wow, not sure who you are, but you must be dominant in wrestling and just a physical specimen, scoring at will. 

Sounds like you just didn't like the outcome of one match or weight class. 

I get it, its hard to watch people you like lose but also with center grove bringing so many kids to state, simple math would say that not every kid on the team every match would be up to your clearly high standards.