Mat Mayhem Survey **Win IndianaMat Shirt**

Y2CJ41

Mat Mayhem in Fort Wayne  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know this event was taking place this past weekend?

• Yes, I attended the event
    • Yes, but could not attend the event
    • No, but would have tried to attend if I knew about it
    • No, I wouldn't have attended anyway

Answer the survey question and we will draw a random winner of an IndianaMat shirt for every 50 responses.

The survey is about Mat Mayhem that was held in Fort Wayne this weekend. It featured national duals for DII, DIII, NAIA, NJCAA, and Women's college wrestling. Also featured were some high school duals, youth duals, and a youth tournament. In my research of the youth portions it was not well attended by Indiana kids with 61 of the 62 youth dual teams being from out of state.

Please answer the question honestly, thanks.

I am not there but my wife took a team in division 14 up and the teams we are facing are very tough . PA has a couple loaded teams for sure and Iowa . Our team is getting 8 matches running ahead of schedule and got to watch some great college wrestling . Its disappointing Indiana couldn't represent better with such a tournament at our house . We take more teams across country . There were so many teams that went to Michigan this year she didnt even attempt to take a team to Christmas Duals for the first time in 11 years .

GREAT ARENA GREAT WRESTLING

Went to Great Lakes tournament on Friday

Cons: Only 7 mats for open (was told over 400 kids wrestling), Didn't start on time, long waits between matches. Waited 3hrs+ from semi finals to finals match.

Pros: Weighs went really really fast, great awards, great to see DII, DIII, NAIA and on wrestles

Then we attended NUWAY Duals on Sat and Sun

Cons: only 4 matches from 8am till 9pm on Saturday, They stopped all Youth and HS (I believe HS duals) during the college finals duals.

Pros: 4 matches from 9am to 2:30pm on Sunday, Great Competition for all wrestlers, liked the college out of bounds rules for youth, They said riding time too but never used it

How can we have an event of this magnitude in Indiana with 60 something youth teams and only 1 team from our state? I was asked to work the Women's Duals because they are freestyle rules a couple of months ago, but I signed a contract for a high school event over a year ago and honored it. A couple of weeks ago I received an email about officiating the high school rules portion of it. Again I already had a contract for Saturday and I committed to the ISWA Elementary Duals on Sunday. Plus I will not work a NUWAY event because their "owners" up in Michigan  sometimes get their facts confused when trying to sell their product. They are a FOR profit company by the way. I don't begrudge others for being involved with them, it's just my personal choice.

Outside of 2 emails looking for my services which I quickly forgot about, I never saw one marketing piece for the NWCA Duals from the event organizer.

I wasn't able to attend but it seemed like a good tournament for Merrillville and brownsburg. Some good competition from MI and OH. Surprised that again only 2 teams from Indiana and none from the Fort Wayne area.

Here are my thoughts...

Pros:

• Awesome competition at all levels, I hope we can continue to attract this level of out of state competition with the relatively low support shown from Indiana teams this year.
  • Very nice venue, the exhibition halls were huge and the arena seemed very nice.
  • Showed the HS and younger wrestlers that there are plenty of non-D1 colleges that offer very competitive wrestling at the next level.  It was great to hear the crowd go crazy during some of the college placement matches.
  • The announcers did a great job of highlighting some of the premiere matchups going on through the college division.   

Cons:

• Price... I'm not sure about the team fees, but for a spectator, it was very expensive compared to a local HS event.  $5-$10 to park, $20 admission, plus very high priced concessions.  My opinion is if you're going to charge a ton for admission, then concessions should be reasonable or vice versa.
  • Although the exhibition halls were massive, they did lack a little bit of seating around the HS mats.  Basically, it left the parents to stand around mat side... then security would come by and ask everyone to step back.  It would have been nice to have some additional seating around mats 23 and 24. 

Overall, I'm glad our team was exposed to the competition at this level.  The boys battled their best and I sure hope we are back next year with the same level of out of state competition.

I don't think NUWAY does a very good job on promoting their events.  It is always hard to navigate their website.  I knew about the dual, but did not find anything out about the youth open that was on friday until it was too late.  It did look like there was some great compitition from the east coast and California.  Next time they run this event they should look to see what the host state has going on, so they don't schedule it again during our elementary state dual.

I hate to say it but I think the coordination effort it took to put that many categories of wrestling as far as different divisions of college youth and high school in one weekend was a much bigger ordeal than bouncing around Indiana's elementary duals. My family has been involved with wrestling nationally for a long time and within the past few years it is almost impossible to accommodate everyone everything at any time . The positive is there are so many wrestling tournaments it gives you a great opportunity to compete the con is there so many wrestling tournaments it's hard to attract everyone to all of them. NUWAY has put on some of the best and well ran tournaments that we have been to . They are at the forefront of youth and high school wrestling in my opinion . they are helping to bridge the gap between the East Coast and the west coast by joining forces with Rocky Mountain National and the UFC they are very progressive and doing more for wrestling as a whole . I cannot speak highly enough of the people that I have come in contact with at NUWAY but they truly care about wrestling and the wrestlers . They may be a for-profit business but they give an abundance of money back to the wrestling community and spend a lot of money on delivering a great product . And I think it's safe to say they were at the forefront of pushing flo wrestling when they use to run around with a camcorder around their tournaments and track wrestling before anybody else knew what it was.

That is interesting because everyone I have come into contact with from NUWAY had been very much the opposite. I have had one gentleman threaten to "put IndianaMat out of business" because I asked him to post tournament information in the correct area. I also had to ban another representative for continually posting in the wrong section after multiple warnings.

Does this mean I can't win a shirt?

I can't say I have met very many people involved with NUWAY but I have had a positive experience with those I have . I am sure the same could be said about most organizations having good and bad representatives but I will say that NUWAY/HYWAY will need to be more cordial to maintain a relationship with the Indiana wrestling community .