Indiana's greatest high school wrestler

PoTweet

Does anyone have any video on Ellis? I know some of us younger folk don't appreciate what he did as much due to not seeing it.

I'd love to see a data base of Indiana wrestling greats in action compiled onto Youtube, especially those who competed pre-1990 when video was more rare to come by.  Seems like this could be a nice historian project that could be started at some point in connection with the ISHWCA (since they have a good network of historical wrestling connections and team contacts).

Wow those are some impressive wins for Ellis in high school.  Did not realize in the off season he beat those wrestlers.  What was the score of the Fried match?  I have heard some people say Fried he was the best high school wrestler ever.

He beat this Gruenwad dude who wrestled for the USA in the Olympics, and Ty Moore 4X PA state champ,and Alan Fried who I think was National Champ for Oklahoma State, but again I think this is off topic of this thread but you did ask the question, lol

Can you give some details on the Fried match? Like when, where, score, style? I am surprised that Ellis over Fried has never really been mentioned before that I can remember.

The only thing I was able to really find on ellis besides his domination of indiana wrestlers, was he was an asics third team member, and his loss at the ncaas as a freshman, I wish there was more on him :/ but I still don't think the pin catagorie is a reason to say he is the greatest of all time!

He beat this Gruenwad dude who wrestled for the USA in the Olympics, and Ty Moore 4X PA state champ,and Alan Fried who I think was National Champ for Oklahoma State, but again I think this is off topic of this thread but you did ask the question, lol

You beat me to this Bob. I was going to add a win by fall over one of the Steiner brothers at Southeast Nationals in 87 or 88.

could Greg Wagner be thrown into the mix? 3x AA at Univ of Michigan. I wouldn't say hes the Greatest IN hs wrestler but I would bet hes gotta be in the top20 maybe top 10. I had to throw some love out there for the HWTs!

could Greg Wagner be thrown into the mix? 3x AA at Univ of Michigan. I wouldn't say hes the Greatest IN hs wrestler but I would bet hes gotta be in the top20 maybe top 10. I had to throw some love out there for the HWTs!

I would probably put Wagner in the top 10 for all-time wrestlers. If we are only taking into account what the wrestler did during their high school years he would be down the list a ways.

I would say Alex or Jason. Jason had a couple losses but dominated and had a lot of success on the national level. Alex in Indiana was untouchable I would bet he was taken down single digits in his career the only match I remember him in trouble was the weinzaphel match who was a defending champ.

Does anyone have any video on Ellis? I know some of us younger folk don't appreciate what he did as much due to not seeing it.

If anyone does, I'm guessing coach Ellis's parents may have videotaped his matches.  I believe Coach Ellis frequents these boards -- how about it Lance?  Do you have a compilation of some of your matches you can share?  Inquiring fans would love to see the old footage

ok. the part about within 50-60 is false. But still undefeated and nearly a 10 year old record for total wins. And given the current format it's very doubtful anyone will be able to wrestle 236 matches in a HS career(59 per year), let alone win all 236. So that record seems pretty safe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.