Why Can't Someone Else Take the State Team Title?

1oldwrestler

I know everyone is already handing the team title to PM and if I was a betting man, I'd put my $ on them as well.  However, when you look at the other programs that are sending more than 5 to Banker's (Bloomington South-8, Yorktowon-7, Merrillville-7, Penn-6, East Noble-6 and Warren Central-6) is it really out of the realm of possibility to think that PM might not win the title?  I'm sure I missed a team or two that is sending 6+ or I got the number of qualifiers wrong for someone I did mention so feel free to correct me (I'm sure numerous folks will be glad to do that).  I truly haven't sepnt the time analyzing the brackets in enough detail to fomulate who could win besides PM but I'm sure some nerd has.  Who has the best chance?

I completely agree whoever wins the Wedding/Baysinger  match has an excellent shot at top 4. Wedding is a 2 time qualifier and placed sixth 2 years ago. And Baysinger is on fire. I just wish I could be there to watch all of the exciting action.

I don't think you can count Merrillville out either.

They could very realistically place:

top 3 at 106

Top 5 at 113

Win 170

Top 5 at 285

The other thing is they have a couple first round matches with PM and if they can pull some upsets (though they are longshots) it can go a long way in helping them win.

I know no one at Perry Meridian is expecting anything but a knock-down, drag out street fight for the title. We have all seen the best laid plans gone awry with a poor Friday night.I will offer this bit of analysis...call it me $.02...

at 106: all 6 "contenders" have an entry...East Noble and Perry Meridian face each other with Pepple being the favorite. Yorktown and Warren Central also face each other with the edge going to the Warrior. Merrillville meets DJ Smith of Franklin in what I will call a toss up. And Bloomington South gets a tough draw in Sinkovics...EN, WC, MV advance here

at 113: EN is favored to get to semis at least. PM should win Friday night and set up a rematch of an ot match against Penn.

at 120: YK is a title favorite here with tough quarter and very tough semis looming. BS faces a tough Andrice Martin Friday. MV is favored Friday as is WC. They then meet Sat morning.

126: PM has title contender James, but Welch looms in the quarters and possible Denton in the semis

132: PM Lecount is the clear favorite while YK has a tough Friday match, with Martsolf 2nd and Moss waiting in the semis. BS has Krumlauf Friday with Lecount waiting Sat morning. MV drew Lecount Friday night.

138: PMs Bova and YKs Carroll look to meet Saturday morning, while MV has Loe Friday night with Hupp 2nd and Blanton in the semis

145: YK should advance to Sat with Roadruck in the quarters and Kelley in the semis. WC has a tough Jolas Friday, ,with Malloy there Sat morning. EN faces Elsea Fri with Macri then Malloy waiting on Sat.

160: PM vs MV Friday with the winner likely facing Seitzinger (BS). YK should clear Fri and meet super Frosh Rypel Sat morn with McClosky/Hughes in the semis.

170: MV title favorite. BS could get to semi to face Lefever.

182: PM vs YK Friday. Could see Busse in semi. WC has a toss up Fri, ,with Hurford Sat morn. BS should survive Fri, with a tough 2nd and Hurford in the semi

195: BS vs WC Friday night.

220: BS vs Undefeated Kokomo Fri. WC fav on Fri, then Boehm, then Gelen. EN vs Boehm Friday.

285: MV and PM both fav Friday, then meet Sat morn. Winner gets Hemmelgarn. EN has Carr 1st, ,then Bernard Sat morn.

On paper, PM seems to have the best shot at the title with YK 2nd and BS/MV battling for 3rd. But we all know that we don't wrestle on paper, so come ready to wrestle and leave no regrets.

I don't think you can count Merrillville out either.

They could very realistically place:

top 3 at 106

Top 5 at 113

Win 170

Top 5 at 285

The other thing is they have a couple first round matches with PM and if they can pull some upsets (though they are longshots) it can go a long way in helping them win.

You mean 120? Merrillville doesn't have anyone going at 113

Chances are, PM wins it big. However, if things go AWFUL and against the odds, I could see PM not winning it.

Lets just think of the possibilities:

106- If Pepple beats Johnson. No points.

113- if Mock or Mastasin/Davis beats Cottey and keeps him out of top 4. (Unlikely but possible)

126- if Welch beats James (very likely, toss up match) and keeps him 5th or under

132- if someone manages to CATCH Lecount....

138- if Bova gets beat by Kemper. Could definitely happen. Either way, bova then probably gets beat by Carrol.

160- McClurg gets beat by Seitzinger in Quarters.

182- someone would have to upset Masengale

HWT- .... Winfield prolly won't get upset.

Some of these are NOT out of this realm. But most likely, this team will come to perform and not only NOT get upset, but get some of their own. They are too good.

just got to take our hats off to the people running P.M wrestling program, & I mean people's because it takes more than 1 good coach, it takes anarmy of adults that are well trained and totally vested to run a program like that. WELLDONEPM.            p.s whats crazy is they have 3-4 deep in each weight class that would probable be s.s. qaulifiers if it werent for being behind studs.

Chances are, PM wins it big. However, if things go AWFUL and against the odds, I could see PM not winning it.

Lets just think of the possibilities:

106- If Pepple beats Johnson. No points.

113- if Mock or Mastasin/Davis beats Cottey and keeps him out of top 4. (Unlikely but possible)

126- if Welch beats James (very likely, toss up match) and keeps him 5th or under

132- if someone manages to CATCH Lecount....

138- if Bova gets beat by Kemper. Could definitely happen. Either way, bova then probably gets beat by Carrol.

160- McClurg gets beat by Seitzinger in Quarters.

182- someone would have to upset Masengale

HWT- .... Winfield prolly won't get upset.

Some of these are NOT out of this realm. But most likely, this team will come to perform and not only NOT get upset, but get some of their own. They are too good.

At 113 it is very possible ;) davis has beatin him already this year

How can we really justify anymore a champion when Friday night won't count towards team points. Absolutely ridiculous for all the teams in the race.

Agreed.  So what's the solution?  No IHSAA Team Champion this year?  So the team that wins, shouldn't celebrate?

Its not that it just feels lazy, we might as well just not keep score most champs win....what sucks is we had a great system and the ihsaa took that away citing coaches making a mockery of the tournament ffting 8 weight classes at the team regional

I agree that the current system stinks.  We have to determine a team champion somehow and this is what we've been given.  Might as well celebrate the team that wins; not tell them they don't deserve it. 

Mishawaka shouldn't celebrate their team title in 91, LN in 92-93, or Bellmont in 94 before the team format was in place?

No one said they dont deserve it. The way that the IHSAA has decided to determine the champion is LAZY plain and simple. Give me a logical reason why not scoring the first round makes sense. That being said the issue comes back to the fact there will be doubt....look at NCAA Football this year was ND the 2nd best team in the country....not in a million years...but due to a backwards system they got to compete for a National title. People doubted all along ND doesnt belong there it should be this team or that team. And that was confirmed after the face smashing of a football game that was the national championship game. The IHSAA State Champions should celebrate this year. But their shouldnt be any room for doubt. this is literally the  lazyness of someone not wanting to do math. there are no extra matches or rounds it's just crunching numbers. LAZY

No one said they dont deserve it. The way that the IHSAA has decided to determine the champion is LAZY plain and simple. Give me a logical reason why not scoring the first round makes sense. That being said the issue comes back to the fact there will be doubt....look at NCAA Football this year was ND the 2nd best team in the country....not in a million years...but due to a backwards system they got to compete for a National title. People doubted all along ND doesnt belong there it should be this team or that team. And that was confirmed after the face smashing of a football game that was the national championship game. The IHSAA State Champions should celebrate this year. But their shouldnt be any room for doubt. this is literally the  lazyness of someone not wanting to do math. there are no extra matches or rounds it's just crunching numbers. LAZY

gotta love that........GO BLUE!!!!!!!

Agreed.  So what's the solution?  No IHSAA Team Champion this year?  So the team that wins, shouldn't celebrate?

I said nothing about a team not deserving it. I'm saying that the IHSAA has screwed up once again like always when it comes to wrestling, they have no clue and don't care to understand how the sport should be ran. Not scoring the first round could have an effect for any of the teams competing. A wrestler deserves to earn team points by winning a match.

I said nothing about a team not deserving it. I'm saying that the IHSAA has screwed up once again like always when it comes to wrestling, they have no clue and don't care to understand how the sport should be ran. Not scoring the first round could have an effect for any of the teams competing. A wrestler deserves to earn team points by winning a match.

Gotta agree that first round wins should count.  What is the rationale they are giving for not scoring the Friday night victories?  I understand that we think the IHSAA is lazy but they have to give some reason for their decision.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.