Top Posters In This Topic

2008-2009  103 lb Weight Class

 Total Career State Championships = 11 in 5 weight classes

 Guys in weight who were future state champions = 6

 Total State Finals Under Lights  = 16 - All 9 Wrestled in Finals

 Eight Undefeated Seasons

Alphabetically 2008-2009 - 103 lbs Weight Class and Career records

Kyle Ayersman – Lake Central Place (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st) Finals-3 , Placed- 4

Todd Batt - South Adams  - Place (SQDNP - 103, SQDNP – 125, 2nd - 132) Finals – 1 , Placed 1

Jarred Brooks - Warsaw Place (DNQ-SS-6th, 5th - 103, 2nd - 112, 1st - 113) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brendan Campbell – New Castle Place (DNQ-Inj*, 3rd-112, 2nd-119, 2nd-120) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brian Harvey Ind Cathedral -  Place (6th - 103, 6th - 112, 5th  - 130, 1st - 160) Finals – 1 Placed - 3

Jared McKinley - Perry Meridian Place (SQ-103, 4th-112, 1st-126, 1st-132)  Finals - 2 Placed - 3

Paul Petrov - Hanover Central Place (DNQ-SS, 2nd-103,  4th-112, 1st – 120)  Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Cody Phillips Union County  - Place (1st - 103, 1st - 103, 3rd - 112, SQDNP - 126) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Mason Todd  - Pendleton Heights Place (SQ, 5th, 1st, 3rd)       Finals – 1 Placed - 3

Brian Harvey placed 4 times.  You have it listed correctly, then you put placed-3.  There aren't a lot of people that place 4 times in the rigorous single class Indiana high school wrestling state tournament.  As you can see, only 2 guys (Ayersman, Harvey) from that list of asskickers accomplished the feat of being on the podium all 4 years of high school. 

Did chad red move out of state? Because he is ranked in the nation. Also lee was ranked for the first half of the season. Sinko beat lee. I would say indiana is pretty solid. Not 4 ranked nationally but still.

You're right, Red is ranked on intermat but the only Indiana kid at 106.

We have a first year 106 and he is .500. I think that unless your a big school wrestling 106 is where you can get a lot of easy matches. I think as you get to semi-state it is becomes harder.  I also thought that 106 last year was just as loaded if not more loaded.

in responce to ILUV2PIN- I'm not to sure "state experience" is going to be a factor in this one. I would be willing to bet that CJ has more high level matches at the national level over the past 4-5 years than just about any of the other 106 guys. He's not gonna get the lights in his eyes at state. I'd bet on that.

I was going to say the same thing when I read that comment. Wrestling in the finals in Tulsa, Iowa, NC, etc since he was 5-6 years old has prepared him just fine for the pressure of the IN State finals.  If anyone beats him, it will not be due to the lack of state experience.

106  is nothing like it was at 103 4-6 years back.  then again i think all the weight classes arent as good i feel like the quality of wrestling has went down for the most part. (my opinion)

Let me guess, you graduated high school 4-6 years back.

I haven't seen Red wrestle.  Must be tough since he has been

ranked #1 since week #1.  However I saw Kennedy at the Traicoff

wrestle at 113.  Has speed and thighs like a fullback.  Can't see

anyone beating him, but he might have lost some strength dropping

to 106.

106  is nothing like it was at 103 4-6 years back.  then again i think all the weight classes arent as good i feel like the quality of wrestling has went down for the most part. (my opinion)

If you can't see that wrestling in this state is better now than it has ever been.

Then you don't see very well.  You have one or 2 great guys that come along.

Once in a while.  But over all.  The wrestling is better now.

Kind of an interesting view. Consider this though. Over the past several years Indiana has become more visible at the national level with a greater number of IN wrestlers earning national achievements than at any time in the past.

If you can't see that wrestling in this state is better now than it has ever been.

Then you don't see very well.  You have one or 2 great guys that come along.

Once in a while.  But over all.  The wrestling is better now.

Agreed.  Over the last 10 to 15 years it has only gotten better.  There was a pretty big group of undefeated kids coming through a few years ago.  But that doesn't necessarily mean anything nationally.

Agreed.  Over the last 10 to 15 years it has only gotten better.   There was a pretty big group of undefeated kids coming through a few years ago.  But that doesn't necessarily mean anything nationally.

Actually compared to other states we have a crazy high number of undefeated wrestlers at the state finals every year.  That doesn't mean the wrestlers are better either.

Actually compared to other states we have a crazy high number of undefeated wrestlers at the state finals every year.  That doesn't mean the wrestlers are better either.

Is that because of less out of State wrestling?

I would say that it absolutely the reason. As a means of defending my position, I'll use three young men from Lowell.  Drew Hughes has one loss in Indiana, as Lowell wrestles an all in-state schedule.  Jake Tucker, and Jose Champaigne each have 10 or so losses in Illinois due to a rigorous schedule that has them wrestling some of the best in their state and throughout the country.  It's my opinion that Jake and Drew would beat each other 5 times each if they wrestled 10 times and happen to be in the same weight class.  My point, the rules are what make it possible for us to have so many undefeated wrestlers but not necessarily better wrestlers.

I would say that it absolutely the reason. As a means of defending my position, I'll use three young men from Lowell.  Drew Hughes has one loss in Indiana, as Lowell wrestles an all in-state schedule.  Jake Tucker, and Jose Champaigne each have 10 or so losses in Illinois due to a rigorous schedule that has them wrestling some of the best in their state and throughout the country.  It's my opinion that Jake and Drew would beat each other 5 times each if they wrestled 10 times and happen to be in the same weight class.  My point, the rules are what make it possible for us to have so many undefeated wrestlers but not necessarily better wrestlers.

I would agree.  From time to time you get a phenom that no one can touch.  But for the most part if you take 2 great wrestlers and put them against each multiple times it is going to go back and forth.

I was wondering when someone would mention Kennedy.  If anyone could be the one to upset at 106# he could be the one.  I think his strength, speed, size and physical maturity could give some of those top guys fits.  We only have a few weeks to wait and see who ends up on top.

There are more reasons than that.  Some of the kids that come into state with undefeated records would never see any teams out of state.  Tucker and Champagne are wrestling for teams that wrestle a national schedule.  No way the current Lowell team would wrestle a similar schedule if the rules weren't there.  Only a few(and that may be high) teams in Indiana would ever have a schedule like Montini's.  

I think it is the fact that after the top 2-4 kids in each weight class there is a huge drop off.  The second big reason is teams can get enough matches within an hour of their school so no need to travel to the other depths of the state to get competition.

That's exactly my point, we have a lot of undefeated wrestlers because our teams don't have the opportunity to wrestle a schedule like those of Montini and Mt. Carmel.  Beyond the Tricoff and Mishawaka in the northern part of the state, I don't know where top individuals would even have the opportunity to wrestle another elite kid.  There are instances when you have a few elite wrestlers in the same area, but history has shown that they ususally avoid one another, not always, but most of the time. 

Fair question.  I try not to be bias but it is difficult. The rankings are interesting at this point. Silva(IL) is ranked ahead of Yates by intermat(Silva #8, Red #7, Yates #12) yet Yates is ranked higher by IL. rankings. CJ did have a match this year against the now #1 ranked Soriano from NJ, but since Nov. Yates has faced more highly ranked IL opponents(6 including a 14-4 w over intermat #17 Jabari Moody/IL) in relation to the IN guys. But the lack of common opponents does make an objective choise a difficult one. Fun stuff though.....

in responce to ILUV2PIN- I'm not to sure "state experience" is going to be a factor in this one. I would be willing to bet that CJ has more high level matches at the national level over the past 4-5 years than just about any of the other 106 guys. He's not gonna get the lights in his eyes at state. I'd bet on that. That being said though I do think there are 3-5 wrestlers at 106# that are very capable of winning it this year. Again JMO....

Is Red a normal sized 106 or does he drop some weight? The potential semifinal seeds and when you get they guy (off the scale or later) could impact with the 106 class this year.  Last year I was impressed how Lee wrestled; If I remember correctly, he had the crowd energizing match vs. Miracle first round, a tough match against a stud in Micic, and quietly came back to place 3rd. Could be a fun wight class this year, again.

anyone who travels across the country knows that the quality of indiana wrestling has gone down! we have a few good wrestlers with quality technique but all and all it is slowly falling. dont see their being another senior class like the group from 2012.

anyone who travels across the country knows that the quality of indiana wrestling has gone down! we have a few good wrestlers with quality technique but all and all it is slowly falling. dont see their being another senior class like the group from 2012.

Hmmm...  I would imagine just like everything there are peaks and valleys.

Do you have any facts to back your statement or is this your opinion?  Also, what is your criteria for a quality wrestler on the national level?  I would agree that this year's senior class isn't as decorated as that of the class of 2012, but I don't believe we have less quality wrestlers.  I remember when people said we wouldn't see the likes of A. Tsirtsis, A. Escobedo, M. Escobedo, A. Hernandez, Coughlin, Mauer, and while those kids were special, I think that last year's class was right there with that group.  My point is that it's cyclical and I wouldn't say that 2012 was the best we've seen or that the well has dried up, we just have to wait until the next wave of studs come around.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.