Sliga's pin

D-train

that was one of the coolest/craziest things i have ever seen in a match, never mind a finals match. 

it don't think it was an accident.  did anyone notice how sliga was working berry's legs right before the pin was called?  the angle i had, i could barely see berry at all.  i didn't even know he was pinned, at first. 

Usually you see the top guy in this situation reach back with one hand to block or scoop the head in order to secure the fall from that positon.  Since Sliga never adjusted to make a move towards Berrys head I don't think Berry really noticed what was happening.  From the replay it looked like Berry got himself stuck just far enough under Sligas hips while holdif onto the ankles.  Mitch noticed and shift his hips over Berry just enough to keep him in that position and drop Berrys shoulders to the matet for the pin.  Definitly something Berry wasn't noticing or he would have had time to get out of.

I believe this is the same type of pin that occured a few years back in a championship match...

Biddle vs Samuels I believe

It I recall  (maybe old age) in that one Samuels position himself on to Bibbles chest in a scramble lifting the leg and head  in a Psudo-Cradle) leading to a fall.  But an impressive finish that quickly developed too.

The weird thing was, it didn't seem like Sliga was even really holding on to Berry with his hands and arms.  It was more like he ended up in a very fortunate position and just kept his weight centered where it needed to be.  Pretty strange.  Sliga was gonna win anyway in my opinion.  Being a region fan I was definately pulling for a 9th champion.

It I recall  (maybe old age) in that one Samuels position himself on to Bibbles chest in a scramble lifting the leg and head  in a Psudo-Cradle) leading to a fall.  But an impressive finish that quickly developed too.

If I remember correctly, that was the following year when Samuels stuck Oudhuis in the finals.  In the Samuels and Biddle finals match, wasn't Samuels riding high when Biddle caught the leg and head and brougt him over top?

If I remember correctly, that was the following year when Samuels stuck Oudhuis in the finals.  In the Samuels and Biddle finals match, wasn't Samuels riding high when Biddle caught the leg and head and brougt him over top?

You got it I was thinking 07. That description sounds somewhat right of the 06 pin of Samuels in the final.

It was a a traditional cradle that Oudhuis was stuck with.  Biddle sort of caught Samuels in a peterson/"LEGENDARY" reverse cradle fall

I watched it again on-line...

Sliga was in deep on a good shoot.  Berry was just holding on trying not to give up 2 with a short time left in the period  I don't think Sliga knew he was even pinning Berry!  Not even sure his shoulders were down or down long enough to make the call.  Again a great replay on line. 

That being said...  It is what it is and I take nothing away from Sliga.  Kid is a great wrestler and now has a championship.

I watched it again on-line...

Sliga was in deep on a good shoot.  Berry was just holding on trying not to give up 2 with a short time left in the period  I don't think Sliga knew he was even pinning Berry!  Not even sure his shoulders were down or down long enough to make the call.  Again a great replay on line. 

That being said...  It is what it is and I take nothing away from Sliga.   Kid is a great wrestler and now has a championship.

I think Sliga knew he was getting the pin, but I'm not sure Berry knew he was getting pinned. I saw that last year at the Al Smith and when I saw Sliga and Berry in the situation, I kind of thought that's what was happening.

I would agree that Sliga knew what was going on, can't imagine not feeling like you were in trouble if you were Berry.. Sliga is pretty used to wrestling from ther as he has such great penetration on his shots.  

I will say that I doubt that pin was part of the game plan his coaches at Fishers HS or CIA put in for him, but that is what champions do, take advantage of the situation.

I'd also say, despite not having a big lead at that point, he seemed to be wrestling pretty effortlessly from neutral. I fully expected Berry to take top in second and go for the cradle.

In the interview on Broadcast sports Sliga said he didnt know Berry was pinned either. 2 awesome competirors that in my opinion both win a title at 220 as well. Berry was a beast for wrestling with a tore ACL all year and Sliga should win his 2nd title next year pretty effortlessly.

Mr. Right:    To say that either Sliga or Berry would have won the title at 220 shows that you

are not a Tyler Kral fan.  He had the toughest draw of any weight class.  Did you see the

builds on the 220lbers that he beat.  You were probably mad regarding the call

that went against Robinson.  I heard that the officials were not going to make any

adjustments to the call unless it got protested.  Coach Vlink and Rodriquez, being

on the ball and knowing the rules as well as any official did indeed protest and the call was

negated as it should have been since one of the officials did see the move initiated

off the mat.  To say that Sliga or Berry could have won the 220 is very disrespectful

and very bush league.  Get a life.  Neither one of them could have went through the

monsters that Kral did.  Robinson was a good sport about it and I wish him the best and hope

he wins state the next 2 years.  I think he could even win it at heavyweight if he should put

on some weight.  He is one strong dude. 

Your name says it all Dune Fan showing you have a bias opinion,  and I know your a big CP supporter...  your name actually should be CP fan. That being said I'm actually happy Kral won state being from and wrestling in the region.  I don't like the lack of offense he or a lot of the 220's  showed. Just pushing is not an offensive move.  I actually think Sliga and Berry DOMINATE the weight class!!!  Take offense I really dont care.  If I seen a actual shot out of Kral maybe he would have a shot at either of the 2 but he's been happy to win matches blocking out and pushing forwad.  To say Kral had the toughest draw is I guess your opinion,  but there is no way that was the toughest draw in the state.  Don't try to call me out on here for stating my opinion and I believe it to be very true,  so I'm going to steal a quote from your post and why dont YOU GET A LIFE OLD MAN

I also think Tray Reese would of won the weight class again this year,  being there was a lack of offense.  Let me ask you a question,  why was his draw so tuff? Besides the size of his competion why was his draw so tuff? How many placers or qualifiers returning from last year did he have to wrestle and beat?  I would think someone like Brock Bevans or Alonzo Shepherd would have a pretty good argument for it. They had each other first round,  then Mason Todd, then Paul Petrov, then Brenden Campbell... pretty tuff draw there,  but Kral I'm sure had a tougher draw than that.  The 3 returning medals in that weight class made it a tougher class then the 10 returning at 120 or 9 at 126

Mr. Right:    To say that either Sliga or Berry would have won the title at 220 shows that you

are not a Tyler Kral fan.  He had the toughest draw of any weight class.  Did you see the

builds on the 220lbers that he beat.  You were probably mad regarding the call

that went against Robinson.  I heard that the officials were not going to make any

adjustments to the call unless it got protested.  Coach Vlink and Rodriquez, being

on the ball and knowing the rules as well as any official did indeed protest and the call was

negated as it should have been since one of the officials did see the move initiated

off the mat.   To say that Sliga or Berry could have won the 220 is very disrespectful

and very bush league.  Get a life.  Neither one of them could have went through the

monsters that Kral did.   Robinson was a good sport about it and I wish him the best and hope

he wins state the next 2 years.  I think he could even win it at heavyweight if he should put

on some weight.  He is one strong dude. 

I'd say without question Berry's draw was tougher than Kral's - He had the most trouble (save the finals) with the Princeton kid and after that, his opponents had a combined 2 losses (prior to their match with him) and half of those losses were Sliga's closest match of the season.

IMHO I think Sliga could have beaten anybody at 220 -- I don't know if I would say he could have wrestled an entire tournament giving up that much size and not been too worn out by the the last match, but in a single match situation, I do think he and most likely Berry could win.

But all we can say for sure about 220 is that Kral is the champion and that cannot be taken away...

Mr. Right (Should be Mr. Wrong)

To prove my point about the toughest draw I will list the combined records that each winner

had to go thru to get their title.

106lb  Combined record of opponents entering state tourney: 158-9 

113lb  161-9,  120lb  158-8,    126lb  142-15,  132lb  157-17,

138lb  138-10,  145lb  138-15,  152lb  113-21,  160lb- 161-19

170lb  158-20,  182lb- 155-23,  195lb- 143-14,  285lb-  156-12  and 220lb  179-7, .  Do you need any more

proof?    Kral pinned Kolby, who only had l loss and that was to the guy they called the Beast (Biberstine), beat

Bass 3-0 giving him his first loss, then beat Robinson 6-1, which included a takedown and near fall, then

wrestled a very boring match(as 2 evenly matched oppents often do, but managed to end up at the top step

of the podium.  Kral, Robinson and Gallegos, all from the Merrillville semi-state could on any given day beat each other , which they had done during the year, but Kral came out on top this time.  To saythat Sliga or Berry could have won the 220lb class is ridiculous to say the least.               

To prove my point about the toughest draw I will list the combined records that each winner

106lb  Combined record of opponents entering state tourney: 158-9  

113lb   161-9,  120lb  158-8,     126lb  142-15,   132lb  157-17,

138lb  138-10,  145lb   138-15,  152lb  113-21,  160lb- 161-19

170lb  158-20,  182lb- 155-23,  195lb- 143-14,   285lb-  156-12  and 220lb  179-7, .  Do you need any more

proof?     Kral pinned Kolby, who only had l loss and that was to the guy they called the Beast (Biberstine), beat

Bass 3-0 giving him his first loss, then beat Robinson 6-1, which included a takedown and near fall, then

wrestled a very boring match(as 2 evenly matched oppents often do, but managed to end up at the top step

of the podium.  Kral, Robinson and Gallegos, all from the Merrillville semi-state could on any given day beat each other , which they had done during the year, but Kral came out on top this time.  To saythat Sliga or Berry could have won the 220lb class is ridiculous to say the least.                

Sliga could have won it easily, Berry would probably have had a tougher time but still would've had a shot.  Especially if they were weighing 205-210 without having to maintain 195.  Skill > strength/stalling almost every time.

106lb  Combined record of opponents entering state tourney: 158-9 

113lb  161-9,  120lb  158-8,    126lb  142-15,  132lb  157-17,

138lb  138-10,  145lb  138-15,  152lb  113-21,  160lb- 161-19

170lb  158-20,  182lb- 155-23,  195lb- 143-14,  285lb-  156-12  and 220lb  179-7, .  Do you need any more

proof?    Kral pinned Kolby, who only had l loss and that was to the guy they called the Beast (Biberstine), beat

of the podium.  Kral, Robinson and Gallegos, all from the Merrillville semi-state could on any given day beat each other , which they had done during the year, but Kral came out on top this time.  To saythat Sliga or Berry could have won the 220lb class is ridiculous to say the least.               

Your records analogy is quite weak. 

For instance at 195lbs Silga's first round opponent Austin Gibson ended with 9 losses this year

4 to Spencer Raypole- state qualifier(all within two points)

3 to Ben Baker- 4th at state(two one point matches and a pin)

1 to Ben Pfister- semi-state qualifier(two point match)

1 to Sliga- state champ(pin)

To say one wrestler is worse than another based just off of record is a pretty pathetic argument.

I understand you love yourself some Tyler Kral but you have to be the only person in the state that thinks Kral had the toughest draw in the state. It's actually laughable to even think that he did.     Your combined recored "PROOF" might be the dumbest way I've ever heard to figure out what weight class is the toughest....  SO what your telling me is that whoever drew Wesley English a few years ago had a pretty easy draw since he had about 8 losses all to Alex Tsirtsis,  or that since he had so many losses (to Tsirtsis) it made the weight class easier, even though he was ranked top8 in the nation? You clearly have no clue what your talking about.  Have you actually ever wrestled or is Kral relate to you somehow? That would explain a lot.

I also think Tray Reese would of won the weight class again this year,  being there was a lack of offense.  Let me ask you a question,  why was his draw so tuff? Besides the size of his competion why was his draw so tuff? How many placers or qualifiers returning from last year did he have to wrestle and beat?  I would think someone like Brock Bevans or Alonzo Shepherd would have a pretty good argument for it. They had each other first round,  then Mason Todd, then Paul Petrov, then Brenden Campbell... pretty tuff draw there,  but Kral I'm sure had a tougher draw than that.  The 3 returning medals in that weight class made it a tougher class then the 10 returning at 120 or 9 at 126

he would have mopped da mats wit da field

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.