Indiana's best coach

I will also say one thing about Coach Vlink and you can't hold one decision last year against him, even before this run of 5 straight state finals appearances he built Crown Point into one of the toughest wrestling schools in one of the toughest wrestling regions in the state.  So, to take him off that list would be in my opinion be very wrong.

What I can tell you is from 1996-2004 his Crown Point Bulldogs teams finished at highest 3rd (twice) in the Duneland Conference, so I cannot say they were one of the toughest wrestling schools in the region.  He also did not have a state champ until 4 years ago.  I would have to give much more credit to  Pendoski (very little), Leroy Vega(moderate amount of credit), and Bill Hawkins(A LOT OF CREDIT) for all of the success that Vlink has had lately.  He also has been coaching since 1979, and got his first state champ 4 years ago.  I personally do not believe that he is that great of a coach, but I certainly have a bias also.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't stay objective about this one:

Mike Goebel

Al Smith

Kay Hutsell

Seriously, I don't see how the "best ever" discussion continues after those three.

Please ... don't throw Don Patton's name out there. Coaching kids different & creative ways to stall should disqualify a guy from consideration, in my book.

Al  smith is my pick.  A little bias, but including myself (elkhart memorial) I would  that he has produced more head/assistant coaches in Indiana. Off the top of my head:

Brian seltzer Elkhart memorial

Mark Kerrn jimtown

Darrick Snyder Mishawaka

Brad Harper penn

Henry Wilk penn

Bill Flatt Riley

Mike redman Adams

Lance beehler Mishawaka

Kevin Taylor wawasee

Brent lea lasalle

Brian "woody"

Chris Snyder

Feel free to add to the list.  Some of these coaches with impressive resumes!

Best Ever

? Reply #29 on: Today at 06:19:38 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Goebel

Al Smith

Kay Hutsell

Seriously, I don't see how the "best ever" discussion continues after those three.

Please ... don't throw Don Patton's name out there. Coaching kids different & creative ways to stall should disqualify a guy from consideration, in my book.

Are you kidding? I wrestled for Patton for  11 years and was NEVER ONCE told to stall!  I never heard him tell anyone to do it either. He took a program that had no history to one of the best of all time in just a few short years. He could have had even more but stepped down to let his son wrestle his senior year without the pressure of being the coaches kid. Pretty special.

To me , the best coach comes from an urban area that may not get the support from administators or the community that suburbon areas may get . Yet they seem to always get kids to come out for wrestling and put a very good team on the mat year in and year out . I might be a little biased being an ex Penn wrestler and now fan , but my nomination would go to Bill Flatt of South Bend Riley .

Best Ever

? Reply #29 on: Today at 06:19:38 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Goebel

Al Smith

Kay Hutsell

Are you kidding? I wrestled for Patton for  11 years and was NEVER ONCE told to stall!  I never heard him tell anyone to do it either. He took a program that had no history to one of the best of all time in just a few short years. He could have had even more but stepped down to let his son wrestle his senior year without the pressure of being the coaches kid. Pretty special.

wow 11 yrs ? was you 26yrs old when you graduated??....lol jj

Mike Goebel

Al Smith

Kay Hutsell

1st - Whomever was coaching those Bloomington South Teams when they were on their terror streaks

1A*  - Mike Goebel - darn impressive

3rd - You have to give your props to Patton for the 6 year run.  You and I mght have thought he was a nice fella, and they had a winning team and fans in the stands,

but they got it done with 5 firsts and a 2nd.  Give the man his props, don't be a hater.

and to the guy who picked Merrillville's Maldando, are you high?  ???

My dad always called Al Smith his hero.  He was sarcastic much of the time, but not when he said that. 

Tom Cameron should be mentioned as well.  He is one whose "playbook" is often used in my coaching circles.  He also coached many coaches mentioned on here, just as Al Smith did. 

I will give the late Joe Burvan of Rensselaer Central some props on this topic.  He may not of been a coach with many state qualifiers, championships and such but I can tell you he had a heart of a champion and dedicated his life to this sport.  He for the most part taught life lessons on and off the mat and anybody that knew or ever wrestled for him would tell you the same thing.  He ran very hard and difficult practices but wanted each wrestler to be the best they could be.  He was a very disciplined coach and many new wrestling for Rensselaer Central you weren't just wrestling for the school you were wrestling for Joe Burvan.  He took great pride in his wrestlers and program! He touched many lives in Northwest Indiana and helped young boys who had a tendency to find themselves into trouble and not having much going for themselves turn thier lives around and become respectible young men.   I feel we have many coaches out there like Coach Joe Burvan and hope we aren't forgetting these coaches because its not all about championships & titles its about having a coach who cares and wants thier wrestlers to be the best they can be on and off the mat.  This is what I believe a GREAT COACH is all about!

Also its not to often in the Hoosier State of Indiana your High School Gymnasium is named after a High School Wrestling Coach like at Rensselaer Central

Seriously?

You clowns continue to amaze me.

Whos the best ... Oh yeah must be Perry and MD greatest of all time. Perhaps if anyone on this board remembered any wrestling before the year 2000 there may be some content worth reading.

Your nominee is so much better than any others, I can't believe anyone else bothered to reply.  ::)

I am surprised that Randy Qualitza from Mooresville  hasn't gotten any props on here.  I am sure any of the old school wrestlers/coach's on here remember him pumping out state quality wrestlers. 

10 Mid State Titles

11 Sectional Titles

4  Regional Titles

2  Semi State Titles

After he left coaching he was writing for a high school wrestling magazine and then moved on to Florida and has been coaching down there. 

Here is some old new's about him.....http://www.wrestlingusa.com/wusapdfvol8/wusa%20vol8-3combined.pdf

Ill nominate ed pendoski. He may not have won any state titles while coaching at portage high school but he definitely knows how to shape youth wrestlers into champions

When he was at Portage as an assistant under Tharpe, in my opinion Pendoski was the person that made the program what it was.

Al  smith is my pick.  A little bias, but including myself (elkhart memorial) I would  that he has produced more head/assistant coaches in Indiana. Off the top of my head:

Brian seltzer Elkhart memorial

Mark Kerrn jimtown

Darrick Snyder Mishawaka

Brad Harper penn

Henry Wilk penn

Bill Flatt Riley

Mike redman Adams

Lance beehler Mishawaka

Kevin Taylor wawasee

Brent lea lasalle

Brian "woody"

Chris Snyder

Feel free to add to the list.  Some of these coaches with impressive resumes!

Wow, I did not realize the list was so extensive.  I was fodder for a year and 1/2 at Mish in the early 80's.  Used wrestling to  get in shape for baseball.  Never did Coach Smith or Coach Beehler coach me differently because I had no real idea of what I was doing.  I needed that discipline they gave me.  Hated the timed sprints around the top of the gym though.

They did on occasion crack a smile when Rob Roggeman would side head lock me, and before I could breath I was looking up at the lights. 

Adding to the list:  I remember talking to Mike Williams (State Champ  I believe... 98 lb) and he told me that he and Brian Guernsey had been helping coach Kerrn at Jimtown. That was a few years ago.

Tom Dolly.  Inducted into the Hall of Fame last year.  Currently an assistant at Penn.  Has also coached at Mishawaka, SB Adams, Mishawaka Marian, Jimtown.  Tom has run a club since the 80's.  In fact, it was the only club in Mishawaka/South Bend area until the last few years.  Almost every single kid who has been a state qualifier, placer or champion from Mishawaka, South Bend or Elkhart has been coached by Tom Dolly.  He is one of those guys that very few people outside that area of the state know, but has probably done more on and off the mat to help kids than anyone. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.