1-2-2

towelboy08

Something I haven't understood the last few years is why we have consolation matches wrestling matches with a 1 minute first period. In my opinion, I think its silly. You have guys that are still competing for spots in the next weeks tournaments. I guess I can see it maybe in local tournaments but when it comes to the state series I feel like it should be 2-2-2. Anyone know why it is this way??

Under that rationale only the sectional and regional champions should advance..hell no one wants to watch a bunch of losers in the semistate..sure would save a a bunch of time...

I'll disagree completely. Although it would speed it up. What to we teach our kids with that? If your not first, your last? It only hurts the kids and the sport and only helps the people running the event.

Just because a wrestler is in the consolation one week doesn't mean he can't

be in the championship match the next week.  I noticed that a kid at 160lb

took 4th at the Mishawaka sectional, then  went and won the Rochester Regional.

This happened at Logan regional too.  Same weight class.  On a side note, I don't see anything wrong with shortening the first period of consolation matches.  It's fair to everyone.  If you want to win, you better get it done in 5.  If we are to ever get wrestle backs, we will have to find ways to speed up the day and this would help.  Maybe even a 2-1-1.  I know that would not be popular, but would give everyone a chance to advance.  Just my input.

This happened at Logan regional too.  Same weight class.  On a side note, I don't see anything wrong with shortening the first period of consolation matches.  It's fair to everyone.  If you want to win, you better get it done in 5.  If we are to ever get wrestle backs, we will have to find ways to speed up the day and this would help.  Maybe even a 2-1-1.  I know that would not be popular, but would give everyone a chance to advance.  Just my input.

Ya i dont think it would be popular at all, and with not having wrestle backs currently in the state series then why justify cutting a match a minute short? Seems silly.

Ya i dont think it would be popular at all, and with not having wrestle backs currently in the state series then why justify cutting a match a minute short? Seems silly.

What I meant was cut the match only if they would allow wrestle backs at semi state level.  Certainly not in regular consolation matches.  IHSAA's biggest complaint is that Semi state takes too long as it is.  I would concede a lot for wrestle backs at the Semi state level.  At least everyone would have the same chance.

IHSAA's biggest complaint is that Semi state takes too long as it is.  

Most levels of the IHSAA tournament take to long in general.  There are many factors involved in this issue, but usually there are ways to move things along much quicker at most sites if those involved are willing to look work on improving the process.  Sometimes I think some draw the event out longer not as a help to coaches/wrestlers/refs/table help but because it allows them to milk as much concessions as possible out of the spectators.  I some locations it seems like there thought process is their is no need to figure out way to speed things along since it involves more pre-planning, more day of logistics, and doesn't end up  helping the host site gain as much money as a results.  Same issue we see at many USA Wrestling events.  If we want to add more to an event so we offer the best wrestlers a chance to advance we also have to figure out a way to keep things moving at a quick enough pace so that the event don't last much longer than they currently do.  I believe at most sites this is possible if those involved are willing to take a hard look at every possibility.

What I meant was cut the match only if they would allow wrestle backs at semi state level.  Certainly not in regular consolation matches.  IHSAA's biggest complaint is that Semi state takes too long as it is.  I would concede a lot for wrestle backs at the Semi state level.  At least everyone would have the same chance.

I see what your saying and I completely agree with that if they had a wrestle back format. I would be entirely in favor of that. but until that change is made i think it should be 6 minute matches regardless of what place you are going for

Most levels of the IHSAA tournament take to long in general.  There are many factors involved in this issue, but usually there are ways to move things along much quicker at most sites if those involved are willing to look work on improving the process.  Sometimes I think some draw the event out longer not as a help to coaches/wrestlers/refs/table help but because it allows them to milk as much concessions as possible out of the spectators.  .  No need to figure out way to speed things along since it involves more pre-planning, more day of logistics, and doesn't end up  helping the host site gain as much money as a results.  Same issue we see at many USA Wrestling events.  If we want to add more to an event so we offer the best wrestlers a chance to advance we also have to figure out a way to keep things moving at a quick enough pace so that the event don't last much longer than they currently do.  I believe at most sites this is possible if those involved are willing to take a hard look at every possibility.

I agree with everything here.  I know at Merrillville they could easily open up the fieldhouse And run some wrestle backs in that gym and speed things along.  Pretty hard to run a 16 man bracket semi state with full wrestle backs on 4 mats like they do at Merrillville and finish before midnight.  I don't care how much planning is done, you would need more mats than just 4.

Funny thing about that is he wrestled the same kid from the sectionals (3rd &4th) match in the regional championship match.  All four wrestlers changed places from sectional to regional.

I really think that the entire thing is screwy. We are in this for the kids. The only fair way to run this is with wrestle backs and have all the matches at

2 -2 -2. It doesn't matter how much time it takes. It is all for the kids. How can someone justify wrestling for 3rd and 4th in state and only having the periods 1 -2 -2?  We wrestle JV matches during the year 2 -2- 2. This is all for the kids and changes need to be made to make it fair.

I agree with wrestling 2-2-2 in the consolation match.  There was no reason not to do that this weekend.  They are running the championship and consolation at the same time.  No real delay at all or longer running time.  Saying that, I think the lack of a wrestleback seems ok to me.  In most of the brackets I saw, apart from some real tough ones, there was a clear divide between the top 3 or 4 wrestlers, and the bottom 4.  Semi state is a lot of wrestling with 16 kids.  You also have to think about the number of refs and volunteers, table workers you need, and the expense, and space needed to run a quality tournament.  I have been at some schools that are running at the same time wrestling, swimming, basketball, etc. 

I agree with wrestling 2-2-2 in the consolation match.  There was no reason not to do that this weekend.  They are running the championship and consolation at the same time.  No real delay at all or longer running time.  Saying that, I think the lack of a wrestleback seems ok to me.  In most of the brackets I saw, apart from some real tough ones, there was a clear divide between the top 3 or 4 wrestlers, and the bottom 4.  Semi state is a lot of wrestling with 16 kids.  You also have to think about the number of refs and volunteers, table workers you need, and the expense, and space needed to run a quality tournament.  I have been at some schools that are running at the same time wrestling, swimming, basketball, etc. 

I agree.  It doesn't bother me too much that we don't have wrestlebacks.  We have them at sectional to try to make sure the best 4 move on to regional.  I know we don't always get the best 16 to state, but that wouldn't happen anyway because of geography.  I do think we probably come really close to getting the top 8 on the podium.  Having said all of that, I would love to see the periods all be 2-2-2.  I have never understood why we should shorten the first period just because these kids have lost a match in the tournament.  They are all trying to get to the same place and should all be treated equally in their quest.  I've seen a lot of scoreless first minutes of matches, especially as the competition grows, so why not give them all 2 minutes?

With everything that I have read and there are a lot of good points out there.  I agree with 2-2-2 personally and I wish that they would have wrestle backs as well.  I go to the Mooresville Regional just about every year and I have always wondered why after the first round they only use 3 mats?  It seems to me that it would end the day a lot earlier and still be able to go 2-2-2. 

With everything that I have read and there are a lot of good points out there.  I agree with 2-2-2 personally and I wish that they would have wrestle backs as well.  I go to the Mooresville Regional just about every year and I have always wondered why after the first round they only use 3 mats?  It seems to me that it would end the day a lot earlier and still be able to go 2-2-2. 

Good points, all these drive me crazy. Especially the 1-2-2 format, never understood it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.