Last state dual tournament this year

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next question is will this lead to a reallignment or restructure of the state tournament series?

I've heard sugguestions of going back to a smaller sectional again and even the old leveled system of advancingto state.  I've also heard the opposite of combining more areas to make a three level state tournament as some sports have.  Both have their pro's and con's for all parties involved.

Most people have known this for a while....I would think.

I've been ignoring with my head in the sand hoping it would go away. ::) I'm very disappointed my kids won't have an opportunity to be involved in a team state series.

Quote by Chesterton's Coach Joll:

"It's not going to change my philosophy as a coach too much," Joll said. "Instead of combing the hallways to fill certain weight classes, I'll spend my energy on making the 12 weight classes I can fill better."

Yeah, it won't change the coaches' philosophy "too much."  They just won't have the same motivation to get kids out for the sport, as he clearly states.  This whole situation sucks in so many ways.

I would say my goal was always to fill 14 weight classes with the best I could find.  Before the Team Series started I really didn't care how many I had as long as the ones i had in the room worked their tails off cause i know with a few studs we still had a shot to place high in the tourney.

I would say my goal was always to fill 14 weight classes with the best I could find.  Before the Team Series started I really didn't care how many I had as long as the ones i had in the room worked their tails off cause i know with a few studs we still had a shot to place high in the tourney.

Wresting always has been and always will be one of, if not the, GREATEST INDIVIDUAL sport ever.  Team is cool but when you are standing on top of that podium after winning an individucal state title I couldn't imagine a better feeling as an athlete.  Sorry but I don't buy (or want to buy) what the Mish coach has to say about his wrestlers wanting to win a team title more as opposed to a individual title.  This thinking goes against what has made wrestling great over the ages.  Classing has nothing to do with it either.  Team series, no matter how many of them there are, IMO, won't grow the sport.  Thankfully, there will always be enough kids far enough from center that will truly enjoy wrestling.  Screw the casual fan/participant.  In for a penny, in for a pound, I say.  If I was a coach that had 6 or 7 truly dedicated wrestlers making up a varsity team (guys that came to the room every day and gave it their all), I'd rather have that than a room with 40 kids in it, 5 or 6 loafing at the side of the mat nursing some phantom "injury" and another 5 or 6 wrestling varsity that have no business being there. 

If Team State wasn't bringing in the money, than you can't blame the IHSAA for pulling it. GolF and swimming has team titles determined just like wrestling will be from here on out. Team state was cool but I still believe wrestling is an individual sport. That's just my opinion. Cool additive but not essential

I'm not sure about swimming, but I don't think golf's team champion is like wrestling will be. I believe it's more like cross country where the teams that place at the top advance their entire team to the next level and then the top individuals also advance whether their team does or not.

Who would have won "Team State" by individual performances that state the last 4 or 5 years? Do the champions go along with the actual dual team champions of the previous years? (Example: Did PM score the most points in Individual State as a team?, guessing not)

Indiana will be crowning a Team State Champion the same way the NCAA crowns a Team National Champion

True.  But several people on the nation scene have commented in the last few years that the NCAA has at least been exploring the logistics of a Dual Championship after seeing the success the National Duals has had.  So clearly some people in the system see some interest in such an event, though they may not be able to feasably work it into the system.

This honestly makes me sick that they will get rid of the team tourney.

You dont believe that coach snyders boys wanted a team title instead of an individual title?

That amazes me. A State Championship team is more than just a team. It is a family. I know that the individual tourney gets you all the recognition and all the fame, but think about who you have been in the room with practicing, who you sat next to on the bus, who you shared your gatorade with. Think of how many countless hours you and your team practiced for the ultimate oppurtunity to count on one another. To me the team is everything, individual results are just the icing on the cake..

This honestly makes me sick that they will get rid of the team tourney.

You dont believe that coach snyders boys wanted a team title instead of an individual title?

That amazes me. A State Championship team is more than just a team. It is a family. I know that the individual tourney gets you all the recognition and all the fame, but think about who you have been in the room with practicing, who you sat next to on the bus, who you shared your gatorade with. Think of how many countless hours you and your team practiced for the ultimate oppurtunity to count on one another. To me the team is everything, individual results are just the icing on the cake..

Unfortunately the people that have the loudest voices in this state had their heads buried in the sand that the team series was fine and dandy.  They ignored the numerous warnings that the tournament was in trouble and continued with business as usual.  Finally when the chips were on the table it was too late to act.  Hopefully this is a wakeup call to the coaches and the coaches association.

True.  But several people on the nation scene have commented in the last few years that the NCAA has at least been exploring the logistics of a Dual Championship after seeing the success the National Duals has had.  So clearly some people in the system see some interest in such an event, though they may not be able to feasably work it into the system.

Not sure how much has changed since 96, but we managed to have the same results in 95 ( Md #1, New castle T2) with individual scoring as we did the following year with Team state.  Didn't they keep score at Individual state all this time? How does it match up with the results of Team state?

I understand both sides. I have to say, I loved wrestling at team state during that first edition. Especially in the finals. Great experience...

Not exactly. For starters, NCAA's has full wrestlebacks. This allows for more opportunities for individuals to score team points. Plus, it's a more accurate way for determining placements. Which is also important when accruing team points. Second, most of the top teams qualify 80-100% of their individuals to NCAA's. Here in Indiana, the elite teams often times qualify "just" 5-6 individuals to state.

Maybe we need to go down to 10 weight classes then too........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.