Rules Survey

1. Implementing a harsher penalty for unnecessary roughness.
2. Wrestlers being considered inbounds with one supporting point.
3. Specific measurement requirements for required girls uniforms.
4. Video replay in championship events.
5. Awarding three points for a takedown instead of two.
6. Awarding two points for near-fall after a two-second count, three points for a near-fall after a three-second count, four points for a near-fall after a four-second count.
7. Charging the wrestler with a loss when using a medical forfeit.
8. Requiring only one supporting point for wrestling to be considered inbounds.
9. Eliminating that knees be inside the boundary to earn a fall or near-fall with the defensive wrestler out of bounds.  
10. Allowing that the pinning area not be the “total” of supporting points when the defensive wrestler is on their back. 
11. Allowing a wrestler to touch the mat in front of the starting line in the neutral starting position.
12. Adding grasping of the ear guards or mat as a delayed call.
13. Adding head-butting to the list of illegal holds/maneuvers.
14. Expanding to include gouging or poking of the eyes to Rule 5-29-1 (Unnecessary Roughness)
15. Requiring at least one coach in the corner of a match.
16. Requiring mat-side weigh-ins. 
17. Mandating coaches’ attire at dual meets and tournaments – similar to other NFHS sports.

Yes
6. Awarding two points for near-fall after a two-second count, three points for a near-fall after a three-second count, four points for a near-fall after a four-second count.
9. Eliminating that knees be inside the boundary to earn a fall or near-fall with the defensive wrestler out of bounds.  
10. Allowing that the pinning area not be the “total” of supporting points when the defensive wrestler is on their back. 
14. Expanding to include gouging or poking of the eyes to Rule 5-29-1 (Unnecessary Roughness)

No

*Not sure what more you need

*Too many variables for it to be done properly

*Dumb, but will likely get passed

*Shouldn't be used in high school

Don't care

**Good luck** 17. Mandating coaches’ attire at dual meets and tournaments – similar to other NFHS sports.
11. Allowing a wrestler to touch the mat in front of the starting line in the neutral starting position.

10 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

I'm imagining the realistic scenario of a JV tournament with 2 wrestlers from the same team facing each other, and no coaches in either corner or just 1 coach sitting quietly in one corner.  Many teams don't like coaching against their own wrestlers, so this happens quite a bit.

NO TOO AMBIGOUS

YES PLEASE

THIS IS POINTLESS

I DONT MIND THIS, BUT IT WILL ADD TIME

YES

I DONT MIND THE WAY IT IS, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE YELLING OVER THE NUMBER OF SWIPES THE REF MAKES 

I DO NOT KNOW WHY THIS IS AN ISSUE, SO I HAVE NO OPINION

YES PLEASE

YES PLEASE

YES PLEASE

I DO NOT CARE

THIS SOUNDS REASONABLE TO ME

YES

YES

FOR A VARSITY MATCH SURE, BUT AN OPEN EVENT COULD BE ROUGH TO HAVE

ON THE SURFACE I LIKE THE IDEA, BUT HOW TDO YOU MAKE SURE ALL SCALES ARE THE EXACT SAME
17. Mandating coaches’ attire at dual meets and tournaments – similar to other NFHS sports.

WOULD THIS PRECLUDE TONTE FROM WEARING A ZOOT SUIT?

Still haven't received the survey, but some interesting topics here:

1) Do we really need 2,3, and 4 point nearfall? It's not that hard to turn at our level. I get why NCAA did it, but our athletes aren't quite as difficult. I wouldn't hate it and it fits with how we coach, but not sure it's necessary.

2) Mat side weigh-ins: I had a discussion with other coaches about this earlier this year. I'm not sure it's ever gonna be possible. In theory, it would be good and Would help curve athletes that want to cut a ton and force them into wrestling closer to natural weight HOWEVER, I don't think it gets passed because it would only take one kid to think dehydrating and getting down to weight to help the team is a good idea or gets pressured by a coach and then they pass out or have a serious health issue on the mat due to sucking weight for our sport to be cancelled forever.

Great idea in theory. Would be extremely challenging to ensure kids/coaches are being smart and could possibly damage the sports reputation in a very harmful way.

17 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

Still haven't received the survey, but some interesting topics here:

1) Do we really need 2,3, and 4 point nearfall? It's not that hard to turn at our level. I get why NCAA did it, but our athletes aren't quite as difficult. I wouldn't hate it and it fits with how we coach, but not sure it's necessary.

2) Mat side weigh-ins: I had a discussion with other coaches about this earlier this year. I'm not sure it's ever gonna be possible. In theory, it would be good and Would help curve athletes that want to cut a ton and force them into wrestling closer to natural weight HOWEVER, I don't think it gets passed because it would only take one kid to think dehydrating and getting down to weight to help the team is a good idea or gets pressured by a coach and then they pass out or have a serious health issue on the mat due to sucking weight for our sport to be cancelled forever.

Great idea in theory. Would be extremely challenging to ensure kids/coaches are being smart and could possibly damage the sports reputation in a very harmful way.

I love the idea of mat-side weigh-ins, but have never seen any implementation strategies that make it feasible. I can't imagine running around all day making sure 20 kids are on weight for five rounds. That would be utterly insane to have a kid weigh-in five times in one day and keep that close of tabs on his weight for 10+ hours.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:15 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Yes

No

*Not sure what more you need

*Too many variables for it to be done properly

*Dumb, but will likely get passed

*Shouldn't be used in high school

Don't care

**Good luck** 17. Mandating coaches’ attire at dual meets and tournaments – similar to other NFHS sports.

No on 4? 

Just this year was a controversial call that cost a top 3 wrestler a chance to advance. I say, go to video and make right call. 

I think that if the takedown is changed to 3 points and they implement the 2-3-4 nearfall points the total needed for a tech fail should increase to 18-20. You could see a lot of wrestlers going for the quick tech fail, but the goal should still be getting a fall.