Penalty for calling your own injury time

I have coached a long time and I feel I am starting to see more and more wrestlers call their own injury time. Many times it is because they are gassed and need a break. Something needs to change with this. One of the goals of the sport is to break your opponent. I find anymore as soon as you break your opponent their knee or shoulder magically hurts. Something needs to change. Coaches need to also step up and not let their athlete pull this stuff. It’s hurts the sport. I know college lets the other wrestler have choice after this happens. 

Yep. My kid was beating a state ranked kid 2 weeks ago and the kid signaled for an injury time. Didn’t get it. Clearly gassed and ended up losing. My kid broke him but I can’t fault the strategy of the other kid.

Had another kid blow out his nose plug when he was getting dominated on purpose to get blood time. I was ticked but in hindsight it was a smart move for that kid. 

Edited by Esorsirac2014

That would be a big lawsuit waiting to happen. No referee should be put into a situation to determine if a kid is hurt or not. 

The simplest solution is do what college does and give the opponent choice of position. It's not a penalty, but gives the opponent an advantage.

20 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

That would be a big lawsuit waiting to happen. No referee should be put into a situation to determine if a kid is hurt or not. 

The simplest solution is do what college does and give the opponent choice of position. It's not a penalty, but gives the opponent an advantage.

Sorry I considered giving the opponent choice a penalty. I wasn’t necessarily thinking points. I was thinking an automatic stall or the opponent choice. 

10 hours ago, aoberlin said:

I have coached a long time and I feel I am starting to see more and more wrestlers call their own injury time. Many times it is because they are gassed and need a break. Something needs to change with this. One of the goals of the sport is to break your opponent. I find anymore as soon as you break your opponent their knee or shoulder magically hurts. Something needs to change. Coaches need to also step up and not let their athlete pull this stuff. It’s hurts the sport. I know college lets the other wrestler have choice after this happens. 

Absolutely getting bad and I agree we should follow college rules when it comes to this giving opponent choice! Something has to change. Having a gas tank and being able to compete the whole match is part of the process!  When a kid is hurt a kid is hurt but coaches def. Should be preaching to kids you don't call it unless hurt, not gassed. Biggest thing i see its usually after 2nd period and they never call a 2nd injury time! Seems to be preached as a strategy by some teams these days. 

At our conference meet I coached in multiple matches where the opposing wrestling called for injury.  Then got up, walked over to his coach and drank some water, talked for about 30 seconds and then walked back to the circle and said he was ready!  No inhaler, no trainer, no blood, no rubbing a shoulder or any body part.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

At our conference meet I coached in multiple matches where the opposing wrestling called for injury.  Then got up, walked over to his coach and drank some water, talked for about 30 seconds and then walked back to the circle and said he was ready!  No inhaler, no trainer, no blood, no rubbing a shoulder or any body part.

Yep. This is the stuff I am seeing frequently.

Agree, change is needed. Another thing you see is some coaches going to the table multiple times which also gives their wrestler a breather. Not saying coaches can't go to the table for legitimate concerns, but some teams/coaches do it way too frequently and consistently IMO.  Usually during tight matches and tournament time. 

32 minutes ago, Tommyboy said:

been going on for years , some schools are known for it. and if they do it twice then opponet does get choice.

Exactly and how often do you see it twice? Never, its coached 

17 minutes ago, RAJR said:

Agree, change is needed. Another thing you see is some coaches going to the table multiple times which also gives their wrestler a breather. Not saying coaches can't go to the table for legitimate concerns, but some teams/coaches do it way too frequently and consistently IMO.  Usually during tight matches and tournament time. 

Another issue i can think of a match not mentioning names where wrestler got about 3 of the 45 second breathers on calls that were not even questionable. I see it alot too

59 minutes ago, AJ said:

Didn't even bother to bust out the can of cold spray?? Brazen!!

18 hours ago, aoberlin said:

I think this falls under mat savvy. These are age old strategies. Some said I was a staller...Coach Congdon said I was "selectively aggressive."

On 1/15/2024 at 7:49 AM, Y2CJ41 said:

I saw this at the State Finals in 2011, when an opponent took so many "breaks", that the referee started giving the other wrestler position choice. So it's already happening...

10 minutes ago, Jimtown 138 said:

I saw this at the State Finals in 2011, when an opponent took so many "breaks", that the referee started giving the other wrestler position choice. So it's already happening...

It’s already a rule that on second injury time the opponent gets choice. What Andy is arguing is that on the first injury time the opponent is awarded choice, which is the collegiate rule.

I just want to clarify what is being proposed here...

If a wrestler asks the ref to stop or pause the match for the 1st injury time, then choice of position is given to the opponent.  But if a wrestler is trying to keep going and the ref notices a possible injury so the match is stopped to check on the wrestler and that results in the 1st injury time, then no choice of position is given.  The difference is who initiates the injury time to be taken - the wrestler or the ref.

I can agree with it used like this.  But I don't agree with automatically giving choice on the first injury time for high school kids.

1 minute ago, GrecoCoach said:

I just want to clarify what is being proposed here...

If a wrestler asks the ref to stop or pause the match for the 1st injury time, then choice of position is given to the opponent.  But if a wrestler is trying to keep going and the ref notices a possible injury so the match is stopped to check on the wrestler and that results in the 1st injury time, then no choice of position is given.  The difference is who initiates the injury time to be taken - the wrestler or the ref.

I can agree with it used like this.  But I don't agree with automatically giving choice on the first injury time for high school kids.

Yes. For example, if a potentially dangerous call is made while something is being tweaked and the wrestler needs time to recover then no choice of position is given. But if the wrestler calls for the time-out without any clear issue being presented then the choice goes to the opponent. The question then comes in what if the wrestler is throwing up or thinking they are going to throw up?  

1 minute ago, aoberlin said:

The question then comes in what if the wrestler is throwing up or thinking they are going to throw up?  

I'm sure we have seen a few cases of that being used similar to the inhaler situation mentioned previously.  But, policing those situations is hard and I'm not sure the refs want that judgment on their hands as Y2 mentioned earlier.