Penalty for calling your own injury time

Youth refs are getting wise to it. One of our kids had an opponent about pinned and ref noticed the opponent had a bloody nose. Stops it before the fall & clean it up. Opponent gets caught on his back the 2nd time and knows he is going to get pinned. He blows out the nose plug and ref sees it but ignored the blood. Calls the pin and then requested clean up.

2 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Youth refs are getting wise to it. One of our kids had an opponent about pinned and ref noticed the opponent had a bloody nose. Stops it before the fall & clean it up. Opponent gets caught on his back the 2nd time and knows he is going to get pinned. He blows out the nose plug and ref sees it but ignored the blood. Calls the pin and then requested clean up.

Awesome in 7-10 years those young refs will have worked their way up to the state finals 

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

What if it was an illegal move by the other wrestler? Or something that was potentially dangerous? 

I don’t think this would apply in the situation you describe. I believe “choice” is given only with calling your own injury time (second occurrence). If a move is potentially dangerous or an illegal move that should be called by the referee.  Thus choice would not come in to play.  The chance of a referee twice missing a potentially dangerous or illegal move and the athlete then having to take matters in to their own hands and calling their own injury time seems remote. 

Since we are on the topic of injury time, sure give choice or give a judgement for a takedown if it's in the process of a takedown. We already have extra nearfall for injury time in those situations. But also, let's start assessing team point deductions for when grown men in the stands start booing children for calling injury time. Some people have forgotten everything the sport of wrestling was supposed to teach us.

Why shouldnt kids call there own injury time ? How am i as a coach know if hes injured or something happened? They know when they are hurt. If talking to a coach afterwards u tell your coach that u were hurt , they will instantly say why didnt u call injury time ?

On 1/23/2024 at 2:58 PM, Silence Dogood said:

What if it was an illegal move by the other wrestler? Or something that was potentially dangerous? 

Just clarifying on this, that if a wrestler is injured during an illegal move or on a unecessary roughness call, then that is not injury time, but is recovery time.  The injured wrestler has two minutes to recover from that injury.  And after the two minutes, if the injured wrestler cant continue to wrestle, he wins the match by default.   Just to add on potentially dangerous, the whole point of the call  is for the referee to stop the match before the wrestler gets hurt.  In most cases, Indiana has good refs that will call potentially dangerous when necessary and literally protects wrestlers from injuries.

3 hours ago, Tommyboy said:

Why shouldnt kids call there own injury time ? How am i as a coach know if hes injured or something happened? They know when they are hurt. If talking to a coach afterwards u tell your coach that u were hurt , they will instantly say why didnt u call injury time ?

What people are (rightfully) questioning are the intentions of some athletes, coaches, and possibly even parents. No one would disagree, if a wrestler is genuinely hurt they can call their own injury time. But lets be real, this can be manipulated. It can be a strategy to catch breathe, get yourself out of a compromised position, or etc. Some would call it gamesmanship or strategic. I do think that 90-95% of athletes won't call injury time unless they are genuinely hurt but there are 5-10% who will take advantage of a system, if there are no repercussions (i.e. position choice, loss of team point, etc). This is a situation where a few bad actors can negatively impact the whole.