Crown Point, Brownsburg, Center Grove

navy80

I'd like to know what the schools, coaches, wrestlers have done to change the culture into a dynasty culture? What are practices like? What are the coaches like? What's the secret sauce? 

I'll go on a limb and say Indiana has never had such three dominant teams.

1 hour ago, Websterk149 said:

How is center grove a dynasty with 0 team titles? No disrespect to them, they compete hard as hell, but cmon. And Indiana hasn’t had more dominant schools? Mater Dei, Perry, Penn, warren, cathedral might beg to differ lol 

Cp run is pretty impressive what is the most D1 guys any team has had in their line up? 

126 Frazier va tech 

145 Bahl IU 

160 Goin IU

182 Cruz Purdue 

last year 

Mendez Ohio state 

tattini Duke 

jendras, Clark twins still under classman and have D1 potential. Of the teams mentioned who wrestled at the next level 

Edited by ontherise219

26 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

Cp run is pretty impressive what is the most D1 guys any team has had in their line up? 

126 Frazier va tech 

145 Bahl IU 

160 Goin Purdue 

182 Cruz Purdue 

last year 

Mendez Ohio state 

tattini Duke 

jendras, Clark twins still under classman and have D1 potential. Of the teams mentioned who wrestled at the next level 

Indianamat has Goin going to IU

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

126 Frazier va tech 

145 Bahl IU 

160 Goin Purdue 

182 Cruz Purdue 

last year 

Mendez Ohio state 

tattini Duke 

I didn’t mention crown point at all but thanks.

What about Perry 2011-13 then? Winfield, lecount, massengale, Johnson’s, warrens?, lecount, cooper maybe too? I am sure there’s more.

Cathedral from like 2016-21? Seltzer, slivka, rodgers, mosconi, melloh, guhls?, corsaro, Bernard.

Mater Dei- from like beginning of time to idk when? Lol Lee brothers are all at Penn state I’d say that’s pretty good I’ll just stop there for them.  

All those guys wrestled at the next level. I’m sure I can get more names too. Idk what your tryin to prove here considering I didn’t mention CP at all and do respect them. Only questioned Center Grove being called a  “dynasty” with 0 titles and just wanted to show love to other Indiana schools that really have been a massive constant for Indiana dominant talent. 

4 minutes ago, Websterk149 said:

I didn’t mention crown point at all but thanks.

What about Perry 2011-13 then? Winfield, lecount, massengale, Johnson’s, warrens?, lecount, cooper maybe too? I am sure there’s more.

Cathedral from like 2016-21? Seltzer, slivka, rodgers, mosconi, melloh, guhls?, corsaro, Bernard.

Mater Dei- from like beginning of time to idk when? Lol Lee brothers are all at Penn state I’d say that’s pretty good I’ll just stop there for them.  

All those guys wrestled at the next level. I’m sure I can get more names too. Idk what your tryin to prove here considering I didn’t mention CP at all and do respect them. Only questioned Center Grove being called a  “dynasty” with 0 titles and just wanted to show love to other Indiana schools that really have been a massive constant for Indiana dominant talent. 

I am not arguing the greatness just asking about those squads 

perry was stacked so was Catherdral.

Just now, ontherise219 said:

I am not arguing the greatness just asking about those squads 

perry was stacked so was Catherdral.

I totally agree crown point is a UNIT and it’s awesome with all the region talent. I will not question their quality and dominance. Just think they aren’t the only dominant ones but have a lot of recency bias for them right now, which they deserve and am not dissing whatsoever. And also don’t think center grove is a dynasty at all, is all. 

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

I'd like to know what the schools, coaches, wrestlers have done to change the culture into a dynasty culture? What are practices like? What are the coaches like? What's the secret sauce? 

I'll go on a limb and say Indiana has never had such three dominant teams.

Don’t forget Snyder’s legacy begins with those great Mishawaka teams of 2008 and 2010, but also Cathedral ‘18-‘20, EMD ‘96-‘03, LN ‘05, Penn ‘15, Perry Meridian ‘11-‘13, and the Delta teams of the 80s. Plenty of dominance has been here, just never three teams at the same time.

The secret? These programs have opened up their doors to let their kids train with these clubs and academies that have D1-level coaches. Goin hinted at it in his interview last night when discussing his decision to go to IU. Andrew Howe, Chris Fleeger of Midwest RTC, Region Wrestling Academy, and now Warrior RTC run the north. In Central Indiana, Contenders, LOG, Outlaws, Red Cobra, or Wright Way Wrestling are the top dogs. In the south, Maurer Coughlin runs the game.

So, when you have things like that occurring in your state, it’s even more impressive when programs achieve these kinds of results on their own. During Perry Meridian’s run at the top, they achieved the results these clubs achieved with packed RTCs that featured the state’s best coming to their room every Tuesday, winning ISWA Folkstyle, Freestyle, and Greco State, Middle School State, and even having seven Fargo All-Americans in one year that placed them top ten alone without the rest of Team Indiana. The same can be said about Mater Dei and Penn because of the rich culture that exists for these schools. Blake Maurer and Matt Coughlin came from Mike Goebel and Drew Hildebrandt, Chase Osborn, and Kobe Woods came from Brad Harper. No outside coaching, just culture.

Those are the secrets for both new, upcoming programs and legacy programs.

3 hours ago, Websterk149 said:

How is center grove a dynasty with 0 team titles? No disrespect to them, they compete hard as hell, but cmon. And Indiana hasn’t had more dominant schools? Mater Dei, Perry, Penn, warren, cathedral might beg to differ lol 

They have never been a great program like they are now. Last year was their break out year. But look what they did this year with having so many wrestlers break through the Evansville semi state and even the state finals. Look at how many made the finals. My point is they are doing something amazing in their program and I want to know what the secret is. You don't have to call it a dynasty but you can't deny their success. 

16 minutes ago, navy80 said:

They have never been a great program like they are now. Last year was their break out year. But look what they did this year with having so many wrestlers break through the Evansville semi state and even the state finals. Look at how many made the finals. My point is they are doing something amazing in their program and I want to know what the secret is. You don't have to call it a dynasty but you can't deny their success. 

They have depth. Elite depth.  I don't recall any team being this good through out the lineup. There is nowhere to hide.  They will be hard to beat next year.

Edited by GenHeavyHandz

9 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Agreed. It’s great for the sport no doubt. Center Grove had individuals that would do well but as a team never did and last year was huge year as program so another elite team being added to the mix is awesome. My argument was only with that word “dynasty” lol sorry it’s the patriots fan in me 🤷🏻‍♂️ but definitely agree with ya now 🤝 my guess on the secret is Coach Curry 👀 breakout year when he arrives 🤔. Lol really tho he’s good dude to have but the LaRocca kid said it, that group has been together since youth and Swain and staff came at great time to keep all together and develop and it’s showing

4 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

They have depth. Elite depth.  I don't recall any team being this good through out the lineup. There is nowhere to hide.  They will be hard to beat next year.

Yep agreed. Its looking to be the center grove and Fort Wayne semi state show next year. LOL but really, center grove brought it and will be back for more next year and it’s awesome seeing the Fort Wayne success going up and up!

Also let’s not forget that Bburg only loses Leighton. Yes it’s a strong hold of their lineup but it is 1 kid and might have very good guy to fill the gap. Brewer will be top 8 imo next year and there’s more points. Just wanna show them the respect too or Money Mike will pester me to no end LOL

17 minutes ago, Disco said:

Anybody remember the Griffith teams of the early 2000’s?

Santana Adams, Jose Escobedo, Angel Escobedo, Alex Tsirtsis, Andre Hernandez, David Martin III, plus a couple more pretty solid guys who were semi-state blood rounders or state qualifiers around there too . 

4 hours ago, Websterk149 said:

Agreed. It’s great for the sport no doubt...

Is it really?  I can't help but wonder if high school wrestling is on the cusp of becoming like high school tennis...  Where the best don't bother competing for their school, the few that do have little to do with the high school program, national tourneys are all that matter, and a sport for the very wealthy.  Im not saying its there now, but think maybe this is where we are headed.

Edited by matts

5 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Don’t forget Snyder’s legacy begins with those great Mishawaka teams of 2008 and 2010, but also Cathedral ‘18-‘20, EMD ‘96-‘03, LN ‘05, Penn ‘15, Perry Meridian ‘11-‘13, and the Delta teams of the 80s. Plenty of dominance has been here, just never three teams at the same time.

The secret? These programs have opened up their doors to let their kids train with these clubs and academies that have D1-level coaches. Goin hinted at it in his interview last night when discussing his decision to go to IU. Andrew Howe, Chris Fleeger of Midwest RTC, Region Wrestling Academy, and now Warrior RTC run the north. In Central Indiana, Contenders, LOG, Outlaws, Red Cobra, or Wright Way Wrestling are the top dogs. In the south, Maurer Coughlin runs the game.

So, when you have things like that occurring in your state, it’s even more impressive when programs achieve these kinds of results on their own. During Perry Meridian’s run at the top, they achieved the results these clubs achieved with packed RTCs that featured the state’s best coming to their room every Tuesday, winning ISWA Folkstyle, Freestyle, and Greco State, Middle School State, and even having seven Fargo All-Americans in one year that placed them top ten alone without the rest of Team Indiana. The same can be said about Mater Dei and Penn because of the rich culture that exists for these schools. Blake Maurer and Matt Coughlin came from Mike Goebel and Drew Hildebrandt, Chase Osborn, and Kobe Woods came from Brad Harper. No outside coaching, just culture.

Those are the secrets for both new, upcoming programs and legacy programs.

As far as the Penn (and Mishawaka) kids go, don't forget that Jimtown was running off-season, Tom Dolly's club was there, along with Mr. Sandefer, the Elkhart schools, Bill Flatt and the other South Bend schools. Plus, a lot of the LaGrange and Stueben kids travel west. Josh Harper and Steve Stahl also had private spaces for a few years where good wrestlers became great.

1 hour ago, matts said:

Is it really?  I can't help but wonder if high school wrestling is on the cusp of becoming like high school tennis...  Where the best don't bother competing for their school, the few that do have little to do with the high school program, national tourneys are all that matter, and a sport for the very wealthy.  Im not saying its there now, but think maybe this is where we are headed.

Well considering Fort Wayne just brought 30 placers from all the random schools around. This is CG’s first year top 3. The elites like mater Dei and cathedral weren’t even top 5. Little New castle was 5th. I’d say no no no. And why would all these kids all of a sudden start doing that? 2 of our 3 best kids in D1 college right now are from a 1a school and 3a school (Silas, mason, Mendez). Why didn’t the Lees (besides nick senior year), Mendez, seltzer, Brayton lee, red etc all just skip out and go? Because Indiana is progressing talent and our state tourney is awesome. Everyone wants to grow Indiana wrestling and this sport till a school they don’t like has a good season. 

So now New Castle is a small school?  I mean 800+ students, smallish by todays enrollment numbers I guess. They are more likely 2A due to large schools becoming larger and larger.  This impacts the calculations.  Small IMO is under 500, being a little generous.  503 was lowest 2A and just over 1,000 was the largest. 

Not dissing New Castle at all! They earned 5th place in the IHSAA tournament as a team and should be proud of the accomplishment! However, they weren't in Team State this year and are outside looking in right now for next year. Maybe they get in, my point is this illustrates the difference between the two "tournaments".