Video from Wisconsin High School Match

Katanakahn

"This video is used here with permission of Josh Bird’s father, Kevin Bird, who posted it to YouTube today asking viewers “to be the judge” and consider whether Josh Bird’s opponent was targeting his injured knee."

The father said he thought the kid was targeting his son's injured knee?  I will watch again, but I never saw that.  I watched the video before reading the article to see if I could figure out what the problem was going to be and that thought caught me off guard.  No way that kid was pushing him out of bounds.  At least two punches to the face from what I saw.  He deserves to miss his chance to be a three time champ.

Edited by hogleg

Deserved the DQ... I'm sure it would have been nice to go after that 3-peat, but displays like this hurt our sport. Hopefully he learns a life-lesson that will help him be a better person in the future. I also did not see anything regarding targeting the bad leg.

Yeah, I'm really struggling to see where the other wrestler is targeting his knee.

And closed fist or open hand...either way, that was flagrant and over the top on his part.

I think he was just frustrated that his knee was letting him down and took it out on the other guy.

If I were to post a video and ask others to be the judge, I think I would make sure I had a much stronger case, with clear evidence.

The winner did try to secure the leg for his ride, but it was obvious he was not really committed to doing so. The winner pretty much just banged his own legs into the loser's and kinda pinched the loser's leg before putting a bit of his weight on it with his own leg on top.  Then the bottom guy was out in a flash.  The ride was tops 30 seconds, if that.   The bottom guy was frustrated that he couldn't move well and was probably feeling leg pain before the ride and before he blew his stack.

Edited by busstogate

A:  His knee was not being targeted.   What's dad thinking?   B.   That wasn't a punch, it was flurry of punches.   This kid would be a good boxer or MMA.  C.  Dad needs to get a reality check if he thinks those weren't punches.    Come on what do you expect, and what are you teaching this kid.   If he's really posting this online and thinks his kid is innocent,  something is wrong with this dad.    Come on man!

Im glad he posted though, as that was entertaining.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Burlington coach Jade Gribble said in the Journal Sentinel article that he thought Bird was struggling on his injured knee. “There was a level of frustration and he let his emotions get in his way today,” he said. “You hate to see anyone finish his high school career like that.”

It looks like his own coach conceded that his wrestler was in the wrong.....

http://myracinecounty.com/?p=20840

They both were a little "heavy" with the hands that's for sure... The ref should have warned them maybe one more time before it got out of hand.

When I wrestled at Purdue "heavy hands" were an absolute must. It's an effective tactic as a setup. I didn't see anything wrong, just a little sloppy in the deliverance.

I also didn't see any state champions in the video.

My opinion.

I do think the wrestler on top was a little aggressive with the chopping down of the DQ'd kids arm when in the down position.  If you watch, he pounded him pretty good, more than I typically see.  It's hard for me to know if that was if that was truly excessive or just aggressive.   As others have mentioned, they were both heavy with the hands in the neutral position.  I'm sure that added to his frustration.  But as those above have said, I'm not buying the pushing argument and I saw nothing out of the ordinary about the injured leg.  Nothing that anyone would think twice about if his leg weren't injured.  

Edited by SWINfan

I don't think the guy was purposely targeting his injured knee but even if he was, it's still the other guys' fault for stepping on the mat injured. You can't expect your opponent to be nice and leave that leg out of the equation just because you have a big brace on it. Just my opinion though.

I see the turned the comments section off, albeit the Dad wanted opinions.   I bet the opinions weren't what he was expecting and regretted posting these.

Comment field is open on youtube.

Edited by hogleg

It appears to me that the injured wrestler's knee gives out & is why he gives up the take down. The match is very physical but I don't see where his opponent is targeting the injured knee.

IMO, the injured wrestler does get out of line with his had fighting due to his frustration.Whether or not it warranted disqualification is a matter of judgement by the official. While I'm pretty sure many officials would have simply warned the wrestler in that spot, this official's decision here was certainly understandable.

I can understand this father's frustration but if you watch this video with an open mind there is nothing that is egregious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.