Wrestling coverage by your local newspaper

Just curious.  How does you're local newspaper cover wrestling?    Our local newspaper IMO does not cover it well.  I wont mention the name of the establishment.   We're lucky to get a box score.  All they do is a few articles a year around state tournament time.    Its all basketball, basketball, basketball.

Unfortunately we are in Indiana! Unless you have a former wrestler in the sports room, or maybe an amazing team, that is the normal coverage wrestlers will get. Our paper normally only puts in the paper what the coach sends to them, similar to the box score you spoke of.

Columbia City's Post and Mail does a great job with wrestling.  They also cover Churubusco and Whitko as much as they can as we are all in the same county.  In fact one of the sports editors just left my classroom to get names for a picture.

I think the Frankfort Times has done a fantastic job recently with all of the county wrestling teams.  Last year our County and Conference matches were "headliners"..

On the other hand, in my opinion, the Lafayette J&C is horrible at covering wrestling.  Just this past weekend there were 2 tournaments (Jeff and Harrison) that received little to no coverage that I saw.  I actually purchased a paper on Sunday to get individual results and there were only a few box scores from Jeff, nothing I couldn't have pulled from this website.

Scholar I agree. That is why I don't send our info in any more. Our local paper does a excellent job and loves wrestling so we have just stuck with that. It's a shame for you guys having such a great year and team with the addition of Hinkle and you still can't get the acknowledgement.

Evansville does a decent job on results and rankings (sent in by schools) but lack the daily/weekly stories during the season.   I noticed this summer they had just a snippet on Lee and Konrath winning Fargo.    

I nominate John Johnson as a volunteer contributor to Evansville Courier for weekly features!

I just shared my discontent with our local newspaper's sports guy the other night.  I certainly understand that budgets are tight and decisions have to be made to "sell newspapers", but there seems to be no "meat" in our local wrestling stories these days.  Due to turnover rates of sports beat writers and an overall ignorance of our sport, they tend to want to write about "warm and fuzzy" stories like "brothers on the same team."  Although this isn't necessarily a bad human interest story, they never seem to want to cover the X's and O's of our sport.  Just as a sports writer in Delaware County starts to understand wrestling; that is about the time they take another job elsewhere and we get another newbie who has to be re-educated.

Kudos to those sports writers and newspapers who still value and support wrestling at the high school and youth levels.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sports of football and basketball... but my goodness... I can only take reading about "Smithville" beating "Jonesville" in basketball 51-22 so much.  I enjoy reading something else on occasion about kids and teams from minor sports who are also having success.

Coach McCormick

The HC Sports Daily usually has good coverage for the Hamilton County area.  Unfortunately some coaches don't know how to take their lumps with a young and inexperienced team and badmouth them in interviews.  I think some parents should be asking for an apology.

http://hcsportsdaily.com/main.asp?SectionID=6&SubSectionID=46&ArticleID=43529

I was there that night and coach knotts loves those kids and his program. He calls it like he sees it and if that offends the more sensitive readers out there then so be it. My father never praised me when I made mistakes and I'm a better man for it. SPEAK YOUR MIND AMERICA AND QUIT BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.