Weight Loss Questions & IHSAA Answers

GrecoCoach

If I'm reading the explication correctly as long a you follow your original weight loss progression to make a certified weight then anything after doesn't matter. So a wrestler could weight in at an event last weekend 10 to 15 pounds over his certified weight class and then turn around and wrestle that certified weight class in Sectional. Example: Made 132 by dropping according to weight program progression, then weighed in around 145 last week cause he was lazy/dumb, and then can still drop to 132 for Sectional next week. In that case the official response is still not exactly promoting a safe weight loss plan the program was created to help promote.  However, at least we have a clear answer though. 

Tyson,

So if wrestler A makes 132 two weeks ago but the following week he goes back up to 138 where he's been at all year. Is he allowed to wrestle 132 at sectionals? Since there's really no 1.5% rule being followed I'm not really sure why there's one in place, that is if I'm following correctly. This has nothing to do w snow days and missed practices.

From the way it was explained the 1 1/2% rule just determines if a weigh-in is certified or not.  Remember you still need to get 6 certified weigh-ins.  I think the goal is for wrestlers to follow the weight loss plan from the start of the year.

I am not sure about the IHSAA suspending coaches.  That would be a questiong for them.

The purpose of the weight management is to reduce health risks associated with cutting weight but we all know that cutting weight is apart of wrestling and is going to happen so putting in rules and guidelines that can be followed and makes sense is hard to do. 

The scenerio of weighing in at 145 then cutting to 132 just because the weight management system says you can doesnt make it safe but neither does weighing in at 132 then gaining 9-10 lbs just to cut back to 132 the next weigh in.  We all know this happens all the time. 

A lot of people critize the new weight classes because it eliminated a middle weight but I think it helps encourage kids to put on healthy weight vs cut weight which is a good thing.  Kids like LeCount, Stevenson, Hughes all had pretty big jumps in weight from last year.  I can only hope it shows kids you can have success without cutting weight.

From the way it was explained the 1 1/2% rule just determines if a weigh-in is certified or not.  Remember you still need to get 6 certified weigh-ins.  I think the goal is for wrestlers to follow the weight loss plan from the start of the year.

I am not sure about the IHSAA suspending coaches.  That would be a questiong for them.

So you must have 6 certified weigh-ins for that what class?  ???

For example if I want to wrestler 132 at sections I must have 6 weigh-in for that class and the rest could be 138 or what ever I wrestle that week. 

So you must have 6 certified weigh-ins for that what class?  ???

For example if I want to wrestler 132 at sections I must have 6 weigh-in for that class and the rest could be 138 or what ever I wrestle that week.

This is a made up weight plan for someone trying to go 138 but was at say around 145 when he did his body fat test, and has enough body fat to go down to 138.

Week 1 minimum: 143.5....Actual weigh in 144....Quality weigh in

Week 2 minimum: 141.35...Actual weigh in 142...Quality weigh in

Week 3 minimum: 139.23...Actual weigh in 138...NOT A QUALITY WEIGH IN

Week 4 minimum: 137.15...Actual weigh in 137.5...Quality weigh in and Scratch weigh in

Week 5 minimum: 135.09...Actual weigh in 137.2...Quality weigh in

Week 6 minimum: 135.09...Actual weigh in 136.8...Quality weigh in

Week 7 minimum: 135.09...Actual weigh in 138.1...Quality weigh in

You can see here how the wrestler gained his 6 quality/certified weigh ins to be eligible for 138 come sectional time. As long as the wrestler is above the minimum weight, it counts as a quality weigh in. Notice in week 3 the wrestler made 138, but it did not count as the wrestler weighed above his minimum weight in the weight plan. Again, you could have a week where you have two or three weigh ins. As long as you are above the minimum weight each time, then each weigh in counts as a quality weigh in.

Very good explanation with the example.  I do hope that it helps many coaches and fans see how they can count their weigh-ins.  I have seen many posts that state the weight management plans instituted by the IHSAA are not very effective.  I personally would have to disagree as I coached a number of athletes who would have made every attempt they could to drop to a lower weight.  With the weight management plan setting their lowest allowable weight and guiding them to making proper weigh-ins every week, it had stopped some of the dramatic weight losses that have occurred in the past.  I also wrestled prior to and then after the IHSAA began setting a lowest allowable weight for athletes through body fat testing.  I can remember wrestlers losing obscene amounts of weight to make a weight class before the body fat testing.  After the body fat testing began, those same athletes could no longer make those dangerous cuts in weight. 

Also a note for coaches.  Please make sure to bring your alpha master, weight management print out (recent), and record of 6 qualified weigh-ins to your Sectional Seeding Meeting.  There have been some issues in the past few years where wrestlers were discovered at the Regional meets and even later without 6 qualified weigh-ins.  Yes the mistake does belong to those running those sectional meets for not inspecting the materials, but also to the coaches for not following procedures through the season. 

A few years ago we wrestled a team from Kentucky and their state's rules said that if they weighed less than weight loss plan that they could not wrestle at that lower weight.  Am I saying we should go to that, no.  Right now our rule only has any pertinence during the state series where they check to make sure you have enough qualifying weigh-ins, and aren't wrestling below your lowest weight class.

Very good explanation with the example.  I do hope that it helps many coaches and fans see how they can count their weigh-ins.  I have seen many posts that state the weight management plans instituted by the IHSAA are not very effective.  I personally would have to disagree as I coached a number of athletes who would have made every attempt they could to drop to a lower weight.  With the weight management plan setting their lowest allowable weight and guiding them to making proper weigh-ins every week, it had stopped some of the dramatic weight losses that have occurred in the past.  I also wrestled prior to and then after the IHSAA began setting a lowest allowable weight for athletes through body fat testing.  I can remember wrestlers losing obscene amounts of weight to make a weight class before the body fat testing.  After the body fat testing began, those same athletes could no longer make those dangerous cuts in weight. 

Also a note for coaches.  Please make sure to bring your alpha master, weight management print out (recent), and record of 6 qualified weigh-ins to your Sectional Seeding Meeting.  There have been some issues in the past few years where wrestlers were discovered at the Regional meets and even later without 6 qualified weigh-ins.  Yes the mistake does belong to those running those sectional meets for not inspecting the materials, but also to the coaches for not following procedures through the season. 

Going to be a long night at seeding meetings if we have to go through everyone's weigh-in sheets and alpha reports.

Going to be a long night at seeding meetings if we have to go through everyone's weigh-in sheets and alpha reports.

Very rarely do you see these sheets come out. You don't necessarily have to go over every wrestler, you just have to have the paperwork to show just in case his eligibility comes into question by another coach. Most teams within a sectional are familiar with the other teams, so most know what weights kids have been at all year. It usually isn't a problem.

Indyt,

I received an email from Robert Faulkens ref the many questions ref this. He basically said that coaches should make sure they have their weigh-in sheets and alpha weight management in order if another coach challenges a wrestler dropping weight class. He wasn't really clear but what I got was that if wrestler "A" wrestled 132 all year and then dropped to 126 and then went back up, the wrestler would have to abide by the 1.5% in getting back down for each week between weigh-ins. So it could cause some problems for wrestlers dropping down the last few weeks when it comes to wrestling a certain weight for sectionals. If no one fights it nothing would be done but if someone does then there may be some upset coaches and wrestlers.

Why is it all of a sudden this year that everyone is making a fuss and not understanding the weight plan?

I think it is because this year coaches have heard different information than in the past...

We were at a tournament a while back and one of the teams let a kid weigh-in who was way over, and I commented to another Coach that thee was no way I would have allowed that kid to weigh-in.  Not knowing what his Alpha-weight was in my mind it was going to take at least three weeks to make weight again at the 1.5% a week.  There wasn't three weeks left before Sectionals!

I think we need to be careful what we wish for on this one.  Do we really want the IHSAA to start policing each weigh in?  There is a computer in Portage that has a saved email from the IHSAA stating the 1.5% rule is for alpha weight only.

.....and this might start to bring back the concept of centralized weight certification.  That would definitely cause more headache than help.

I think we need to be careful what we wish for on this one.  Do we really want the IHSAA to start policing each weigh in?  There is a computer in Portage that has a saved email from the IHSAA stating the 1.5% rule is for alpha weight only.

.....and this might start to bring back the concept of centralized weight certification.  That would definitely cause more headache than help.

I have to go with coach P on this one.  Be careful what you wish for. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.