Bremen

Fremont

South Putnam

Clinton Central

Adams Central

South Adams

Churubusco

West Central

WrestlingMan2 most people do wish we still had the IHSAA Team State but the IHSAA made their decision and until they change their mind the IHSWCA State Duals is the only way to attempt to bring together the best teams in the state to compete and still fit it in to the schedule and guidelines we have.

WrestlingMan2 the IHSWCA is always open to ideas and sudgestions to improve this event.  Our next meeting is Dec 8th if you have ideas that you would like to share to improve this "joke" of a tourney please attend and share, I would love to hear your insight!

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

Vice President IHSWCA

This tournament is a joke! Wish they still had IHSAA team state!

spoken from someone who knows nothing it sounds like.....

i will tell you this, the 3A tournament ought to be a barn burner......the lineup most of these teams have is incredible.....

This tournament is a joke! Wish they still had IHSAA team state!

I think it makes for an awesome day of wrestling.  And I think they are doing the best the can with the hand dealt to them. 

I believe it would be perfect if it could be done at the end of the season off of the final rankings.  Predicting teams from last years results is about impossible.  Yes you can see who they lose due to graduation but you can't predict who will show up and what stud JV kids that a team may have.  I know that it is a scheduling nightmare but it be great to see it done.

We are hard pressed to get much done through the IHSAA so we really need to support IHSWCA as much as possible.

I think this is the next best and fairest format to have a dual state.  I bet the final results would be very similar to the old method. Only con is maybe a deserving team gets excluded over a less deserving team.  But the top teams succeed in both formats.    Ohio does something very similar to decide their dual state by class. 

If IHSAA doesn't sanction it, you have to do something different.  I give credit to the guys that were pro-active in putting this together.   

I think this is the next best and fairest format to have a dual state.  I bet the final results would be very similar to the old method. Only con is maybe a deserving team gets excluded over a less deserving team.  But the top teams succeed in both formats.    Ohio does something very similar to decide their dual state by class. 

If IHSAA doesn't sanction it, you have to do something different.  I give credit to the guys that were pro-active in putting this together. 

I agree 100% in each class you will have the top teams no doubt and you may or may not have the exact top 8 but you will know who the very best is in each class.

Only way we could move this to the end of the season would be if every school in state agreed to keep weekend before Sectional open.  As the IHSAA has already informed us (IHSWCA) that this event can't be done after the individual State Finals. 

I know the HHC tourney is two weekends before the sectionals but alot of conference tourney's are on that weekend before Sectionals.  It would take a big compromise by all the schools in the state to agree to something like this.

That is why the IHSWCA picked the dates they have for the first two years as it works out better for the majority of programs in state to have event around Holiday.

Only way we could move this to the end of the season would be if every school in state agreed to keep weekend before Sectional open.  As the IHSAA has already informed us (IHSWCA) that this event can't be done after the individual State Finals. 

I know the HHC tourney is two weekends before the sectionals but alot of conference tourney's are on that weekend before Sectionals.  It would take a big compromise by all the schools in the state to agree to something like this.

That is why the IHSWCA picked the dates they have for the first two years as it works out better for the majority of programs in state to have event around Holiday.

I remember that discussion from last year.  Schools need to suck it up and have their conference the weekend before sectionals.  Like I stated last year this is great for a few reasons. 

1.  Gives a full season of results to insure we are inviting the best teams.

2.  Gives teams the ability to make sure they are peaking at the right time. 

3.  For those teams that are invited it gives the wrestlers a chance to match up with some of the wrestlers they may not meet until Banker's Life.

4.  For those teams that are not invited it gives them a chance to go watch some great wrestling, have a weekend off, or get one last meat grinder of a practice.

This is coming from a person who's conference is already that weekend so I am biased.  I would love to go watch this a weekend before conference.

I remember that discussion from last year.  Schools need to suck it up and have their conference the weekend before sectionals.  Like I stated last year this is great for a few reasons. 

1.  Gives a full season of results to insure we are inviting the best teams.

2.  Gives teams the ability to make sure they are peaking at the right time. 

3.  For those teams that are invited it gives the wrestlers a chance to match up with some of the wrestlers they may not meet until Banker's Life.

4.  For those teams that are not invited it gives them a chance to go watch some great wrestling, have a weekend off, or get one last meat grinder of a practice.

This is coming from a person who's conference is already that weekend so I am biased.  I would love to go watch this a weekend before conference.

Is everyone also supposed to "suck it up" and end up one tournament short on their scheduling?  Once the season begins, Athletic Directors have already signed contracts for tournaments, so unless they are willing to break a contract (mine is not) then everyone has to leave 2 weigh-in points available in the hopes they get invited later in the season.  It is a scheduling nightmare unless the teams are selected long before the season begins.

In Indiana, we are used to a post season where every team is included.  Many states don't do that, even for team sports.  The selection process used for the IHSWCA Team State is very in depth and considers many factors.  It is fair.  In fact, we now get more of the top teams there then we ever used to with the IHSAA's version because it was solely based on geography.  2 or 3 great teams close to each other couldn't all make it then but now they all can be invited.

I just think it's funny how most of these team haven't won a sectional or ever been the the team ihsaa team state. It's my opinion that I think this tournament is a joke. It's a invitation to the tournament it's not a true champion because not everyone has the chance at the title.  And IHSAA state at bankers life is not truly a team state. Sorry I made y'all mad I was just saying my thought about this tournament. 

Yes it would be a huge undertaking by Athletic directors and conferences as a whole to move the date of their conferences.  Something that is out of the control of the IHSWCA.

We considered having the event after the individual state tourney and going the route of ISWA to run the tourney but their are positives and negatives to that choice as well.

But like I said earlier please feel free to come share these ideas or volunteer to spear head a idea at our next IHSWCA meeting this Sunday.  Our orginazation is built on coaches willing to donate their time and improve the sport.  Don't be a random name on a message board come show your face at our next meeting and share your ideas.

I just think it's funny how most of these team haven't won a sectional or ever been the the team ihsaa team state. It's my opinion that I think this tournament is a joke. It's a invitation to the tournament it's not a true champion because not everyone has the chance at the title.  And IHSAA state at bankers life is not truly a team state. Sorry I made y'all mad I was just saying my thought about this tournament. 

Hey that was the idea behind class wrestling in the first place to get teams in the lower division that might not win a title against the larger schools a chance to have some success and recoginize the best teams in each class. 

In large class though alot of teams have had sectional titles or made runs and have made the IHSAA Team State finals I believe.

My guess is you would think this is the greatest think since sliced bread if a team that starts with the letter after A and before C was included.  Just my professional opinion.

Is everyone also supposed to "suck it up" and end up one tournament short on their scheduling?  Once the season begins, Athletic Directors have already signed contracts for tournaments, so unless they are willing to break a contract (mine is not) then everyone has to leave 2 weigh-in points available in the hopes they get invited later in the season.  It is a scheduling nightmare unless the teams are selected long before the season begins.

In Indiana, we are used to a post season where every team is included.  Many states don't do that, even for team sports.  The selection process used for the IHSWCA Team State is very in depth and considers many factors.  It is fair.  In fact, we now get more of the top teams there then we ever used to with the IHSAA's version because it was solely based on geography.  2 or 3 great teams close to each other couldn't all make it then but now they all can be invited.

So are you saying that you have every single weekend booked during your season and it can never change?  I agree it will be a scheduling nightmare and could not be done for a few years but I don't think IHSAA is going to budge on the post season or re-institute something they already squashed.  I honestly just disagree that you are going to get the best teams off of last years results and that they are going to be preforming up to what they could be at the end of the season.  But hey we don't get the best 16 kids at state every year might as well keep the status quo.

Something else to think about....if you move all the conference tournaments to one weekend, where are you going to find enough referees? Many of us work 2 seperate conferences, two weeks and one before sectionals. Moving everything to one weekend creates a major shortage.

Something else to think about....if you move all the conference tournaments to one weekend, where are you going to find enough referees? Many of us work 2 seperate conferences, two weeks and one before sectionals. Moving everything to one weekend creates a major shortage.

Fair enough.  You might end up with a bearded Lopshire at your conference.  And no one wants that.

But like I said earlier please feel free to come share these ideas or volunteer to spear head a idea at our next IHSWCA meeting this Sunday.  Our orginazation is built on coaches willing to donate their time and improve the sport.  Don't be a random name on a message board come show your face at our next meeting and share your ideas.

If this is pointed to me in any way.  Just know that I appreciate what you and the other coaches do and I use to attend the meetings before a job change and kids.  Now it is all I can do to make it to the meets and a few practices.  When things change I plan to starting going back.  For now I enjoy discussing these things on the board with people that actually make the decisions.  I don't pretend to have all the answers and many times there are things that I don't even think of. (IE ref shortage)  Which is why discussions are good.  So I am not some random guy I would post my picture but I will save you from that.

Andy Oberlin

Dekalb High School

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.