Lance Ellis Vs. ANYONE 119lb or below

BestSportEver

Where do you find these results at? Id love to look up some old results.

I'm pulling it from memory, but there is a resource out there for you. A poster that goes by the name The Ancient Elder has put together a comprehensive history of Indiana wrestling.

According to this message thread from November, he had been ill and was going through some physical therapy, but his daughter left her contact info in the thread. She might be able to sell you a copy.

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,18701

I seem to remember someone from either LN or Beech Grove almost...and I stress almost...beating Ellis.  But really, Lance, and that whole era of Cathedral Wrestling, was beyond tough.  It still amazes me the Irish have never won a team state title.  I would bet they have more team runner-up awards than any other school.

Obviously Lace is one of the best of all times. But with that said the wresting in Indiana today is far superior.

I would saybhe would have his hands full today

[/quo

I think he'd beat Brooks pretty convincingly(NO DISRESPECT TO BROOKS WHATSOEVER) Its a fantasy match so we will never know but JUST MY OPINION.

Obviously Lace is one of the best of all times. But with that said the wresting in Indiana today is far superior.

I might agree with you if we were talking about football, basketball or water polo but this is wrestling.  Still the same old wrestling that we have had for a long, long time.  In football and basketball yes I would agree with you about the athleticism of today versus the old days.  When you are talking about two kids at the same weight class with no other influences I would say that there is no difference.  You can only lift so many weights but the old farts still had a lot of stairs in their gym to run up and down and they still had the great coach's as well and we still see year after year that just having a big, huge well cut body doesn't mean you are going to win.  Plus, in the old days our coach's and teachers could hit us to keep us in line. LOL 

IMO, studs from an earlier era would be studs in any era if they were given the same training regimen, supplements, national competition opportunities, etc, of the current day.  Sure, if you plucked late 80's ellis from the late 80's and dumped him in 2012, he MAY, and I stress may, have a little difficulty with some current uber stud,  but if lance was born in 1994, he'd be collecting his 4th title in 2012.

I seem to remember someone from either LN or Beech Grove almost...and I stress almost...beating Ellis.  But really, Lance, and that whole era of Cathedral Wrestling, was beyond tough.  It still amazes me the Irish have never won a team state title.  I would bet they have more team runner-up awards than any other school.

It was Paul Sullivan from BG.  I believe it was at the Tech Super 8 (I can't believe I remember) and Paul was winning with seconds left...and was taken down to his back to lose by 2 or something like that.  This was a big deal because Lance was a senior and had not lost. 

Lance is an animal and he would hit a foot sweep on anybody in the state and nobody in the state would be able to stop it. and also ya the moves and skill level of wrestlers is completely different but wrestlers back in the day were jus raw and tough as nails 

It was Paul Sullivan from BG.  I believe it was at the Tech Super 8 (I can't believe I remember) and Paul was winning with seconds left...and was taken down to his back to lose by 2 or something like that.  This was a big deal because Lance was a senior and had not lost. 

It was at the Super 8. Paul tied the match and Mac had him cut Lance to go for the win. Paully lost that match by one. He did beat him the same year at Centrals in Madison, WI.

Dragon Dad, Lance was a NCAA Qualifier for the Hoosiers as a true freshman. Some other notable wins for Lance were over Troy or Terry Steiner by fall at SE Nationals and I'm pretty sure he beat Alan Fried. Can anyone else confirm that?

I might agree with you if we were talking about football, basketball or water polo but this is wrestling.  Still the same old wrestling that we have had for a long, long time.  In football and basketball yes I would agree with you about the athleticism of today versus the old days.  When you are talking about two kids at the same weight class with no other influences I would say that there is no difference.  You can only lift so many weights but the old farts still had a lot of stairs in their gym to run up and down and they still had the great coach's as well and we still see year after year that just having a big, huge well cut body doesn't mean you are going to win.  Plus, in the old days our coach's and teachers could hit us to keep us in line. LOL 

So, you think that technique hasn't developed at all since the 80s??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.