Perry VS Cathedral

zachpierson

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Thursday for our wrestling meet  the weigh in will be at 5:15. We will wrestle the JV match at 6;00. The varsity match will begin after a short recognition for our wrestling alumni at 7 pm

Tom Clark and Pete Schroeder will be the officials.

It is time again for the annual battle royal between city wrestling powerhouse Cathedral and county colossus Perry Meridian. The Falcons are defending state champions and ranked 1st, while the Irish are ranked 5th. Cathedral has rattled off 13 consecutive city titles, while Perry Meridian has claimed the last 7 Marion county crowns. But with these two proud programs, rankings and history, while important, mean nothing to what will happen when they clash on Thursday. Their rivalry is short, but spirited. Cathedral claimed the first two contests in 2008 and 2009, with the Falcons returning the favor in 2010 and 2011. Perry also added a victory at the 2010 team state. This year?s version promises to be equal in stature and drama as have the previous editions. With that, let?s look at the match ups using IndianaMat?s New Castle semi state rankings.

Perry Meridian                             Cathedral

106: Jacob Cottey (4)                                   John Devine

113:   Brandon James (1)                        Ben Harvey (3)

120:   Aiden Kenny (4)                            Evan Smiley (6)

126:   Cody LeCount (2)                          Dantre Hartwell

132: Jared McKinley (1)                       Ben Larson (9)

138: Nick Bova (1)                                  Mike Venezia (7)

145: Riley McClurg (3)                          Vinnie Corsaro (2)

152: Paul Mathews (15)                           Gino Gillam (7)

160: Kirk Johnson (1)                           Brian Harvey (2)

170: Jake Masengale (2)                       Tyler Willis (1)

182: CJ Martin (4)                                  John White

195: Devante Ash (6)                            Raja Burt

220: Jordan Naughton (5)                     Levi Kenny (3)

285: Donte Winfield (2)                      Wesley Bernard (1)

That is 9 matches pitting top 10 wrestlers against each other including 3 matches between the top 2 in their weight class. By their rankings, 17 wrestlers would make the trip to Banker's Life for the state finals with a few others certainly capable of adding to that total. It will definitely be the most hotly contested match in central Indiana this year with both teams looking to make it back to Center Grove for the final team state finals.

It is time again for the annual battle royal between city wrestling powerhouse Cathedral and county colossus Perry Meridian. The Falcons are defending state champions and ranked 1st, while the Irish are ranked 5th. Cathedral has rattled off 13 consecutive city titles, while Perry Meridian has claimed the last 7 Marion county crowns. But with these two proud programs, rankings and history, while important, mean nothing to what will happen when they clash on Thursday. Their rivalry is short, but spirited. Cathedral claimed the first two contests in 2008 and 2009, with the Falcons returning the favor in 2010 and 2011. Perry also added a victory at the 2010 team state. This year?s version promises to be equal in stature and drama as have the previous editions. With that, let?s look at the match ups using IndianaMat?s New Castle semi state rankings.

Perry Meridian                             Cathedral

106: Jacob Cottey (4)                                   John Devine

113:   Brandon James (1)                        Ben Harvey (3)

120:   Aiden Kenny (4)                            Evan Smiley (6)

126:   Cody LeCount (2)                          Dantre Hartwell

132: Jared McKinley (1)                       Ben Larson (9)

138: Nick Bova (1)                                  Mike Venezia (7)

145: Riley McClurg (3)                          Vinnie Corsaro (2)

152: Paul Mathews (15)                           Gino Gillam (7)

160: Kirk Johnson (1)                           Brian Harvey (2)

170: Jake Masengale (2)                       Tyler Willis (1)

182: CJ Martin (4)                                  John White

195: Devante Ash (6)                            Raja Burt

220: Jordan Naughton (5)                     Levi Kenny (3)

285: Donte Winfield (2)                      Wesley Bernard (1)

That is 9 matches pitting top 10 wrestlers against each other including 3 matches between the top 2 in their weight class. By their rankings, 17 wrestlers would make the trip to Banker's Life for the state finals with a few others certainly capable of adding to that total. It will definitely be the most hotly contested match in central Indiana this year with both teams looking to make it back to Center Grove for the final team state finals.

[/quote)

33-24 PM

Cathedral would probably like the match to start at 138.  If Venezia could pull off an upset they could get on a roll.  Then it would be up to Jared McKinley team captain and defending state champion to bring his team from behind in the final match possibly having to score some bonus points.  Perry would probably like to see the match start at 106 and get some momentum going possibly setting up a senerio of two udefeated heavy weights fighting for their team victory.  It should be a great match no matter what weight class is drawn.  Good luck to all combatants.  Coach G

It should be a great dual with great matchups in Cathedral's favor. Cathedral could (note I said could not should) win 8 matches but still lose the dual. In the end I pick Perry to win it because of pins. Perry doesn't have any holes and I think they will pin at some weights which will be the difference in the match. I spoke with Tonte yesterday and we went through the lineup so it will be interesting to see if our predictions come true. Good luck to both teams.

Jordin Humphrey

PM will be challenged for the firsdt time all year.  Cathedral matches up really well with them, but I still give PM the advantage.

Some  matchups that I am looking forward to because they are toss up matches are 120, 138, 145, 160, 170 and HW.

If they all go Cathedral's way then the dual could get interesting!!!!

PM will be challenged for the firsdt time all year.  Cathedral matches up really well with them, but I still give PM the advantage.

Some  matchups that I am looking forward to because they are toss up matches are 120, 138, 145, 160, 170 and HW.

If they all go Cathedral's way then the dual could get interesting!!!!

And if they don't...it could get ugly. But yes, I agree this will be the biggest challenge to date. The Irish have their line up set and it will be time to hide the women and children. I am looking forward to seeing a rabid crowd this Thursday night.

It isn't too often that a dual meet has a match of the top wrestlers in the state at 1 weight class, but back to back at 160 and 170 -- sick.

Wish I could make the drive down --- hopefully there will be some rematches at what ever Conseco is called now!

It will probably be ugly, Thornton, Perry is just too good.

I would love to see a Kirk Johnson - Gino Gillum rematch from the 2010 Team State. Could it happen? Hmmm. Wonder how that match turns out two years later.

I think the battle of the freshmen will be most intriguing. Little Harvey vs. James and Smiley vs Kenny are the swing matches in my mind. Welcome to the Big Stage, boys.

Reminds me of the Cathedral - Delta series of the 80s. Hopefully, we get to see the blown up doll Falcon to kick off the extravaganza. It adds a little intimidation factor to the venue..

This wouldn't be the first year cathedral upsetted perry it would actually be the 3rd i remember chico adams senior yr they beat them and they wern't supposed to. not sayin its the same situation but i think that cathedral is the only team in the state that can actually keep it within 20 pts. hey stack up rele well from 138 up 

Hmm..... I do not understand your logic. Crown Point put Cathedral in there place, so how are they the only team to keep them within 20.. or are you saying this with no way to back yourself up whats so ever.

Hmm..... I do not understand your logic. Crown Point put Cathedral in there place, so how are they the only team to keep them within 20.. or are you saying this with no way to back yourself up whats so ever.

Crown Point 37  Cathederal  19

106  Ervin  CP  pin  Devine  1:59  113  Darden Schurg  CP dec Harvey  7-2

120  Josh Fuqua  CP dec Smiley  1-0  126  Trevor Burlison CP  dec Devine6-2

132  Larson Cath  pin Hatami  1:19  138  Tyler Burlison  CP  dec Haas  7-2

145  Tsirtsis  CP  win by fft  152  Jake Fuqua  dec Haas  3-2

160  Harvey  Cath Maj dec Dusty Schurg  12-4  170  Willis  Cath  pin Hazi  :32

182  Morgan Kral  CP  dec White  4-0  195  Langbehn  CP  Maj dec Burt  14-4

220  Tyler Kral  Cp  dec Kinney  8-4  285  Bernard  Cath  dec Swope  10-6

I think what he is saying is that Cathedral did not have their full line up then, but since they have gotten everyone together, they have become much stronger.

Crown Point 37  Cathederal  19

106  Ervin  CP  pin  Devine  1:59  113  Darden Schurg  CP dec Harvey  7-2

120  Josh Fuqua  CP dec Smiley  1-0  126  Trevor Burlison CP  dec Devine6-2

132  Larson Cath  pin Hatami  1:19  138  Tyler Burlison  CP  dec Haas  7-2

145  Tsirtsis  CP  win by fft  152  Jake Fuqua  dec Haas  3-2

160  Harvey  Cath Maj dec Dusty Schurg  12-4  170  Willis  Cath  pin Hazi  :32

182  Morgan Kral  CP  dec White  4-0  195  Langbehn  CP  Maj dec Burt  14-4

220  Tyler Kral  Cp  dec Kinney  8-4  285  Bernard  Cath  dec Swope  10-6

I think what he is saying is that Cathedral did not have their full line up then, but since they have gotten everyone together, they have become much stronger.

How has Cathedral's lineup changed since that time? 

Big props to Steve Brooks of the Star and Vype. Thanks to him, the Star will be covering this tilt. There's no love lost between these two programs and the competition should be ferocious. In 2009, Perry was a big favorite, although not as probitive as this year, and the Irish scored some upsets and got momentum going strongly in their favor. I'm not saying that will happen this year, but my point is that emotion does play a part in this and it should be a dogfight. Cannot wait for Thursday.

It should be a great dual with great matchups in Cathedral's favor. Cathedral could (note I said could not should) win 8 matches but still lose the dual. In the end I pick Perry to win it because of pins. Perry doesn't have any holes and I think they will pin at some weights which will be the difference in the match. I spoke with Tonte yesterday and we went through the lineup so it will be interesting to see if our predictions come true. Good luck to both teams.

Jordin Humphrey

I'd sure be interested to know Coach Tonte's thoughts on the 160 and 170 match ups, if you feel like sharing (need to set my fantasy line-up)...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.