Pound for Pound Released!

Y2CJ41

Interesting that there is an athlete on the pound for pound that isn't even ranked #1 in his weight class when the guy ranked above him isn't on the pound for pound!

Which one is interesting, how Stahl not make it OR how is Bennet not ranked #1?

1) Ryan Stahl 12 Mishawaka ::  2nd at 140 in '09, SQ at 112 in '07

2) Sammy Bennet 12 Anderson Highland :: 3rd at 145 in '09, 2nd at 145 in '08, SQ at 140 in '07

For the most part I agree with the pound for pound rankings looks like a great list.  But I think a great case could be made for McMurray to be #1 and Wright #2... And I don't want to take anything away from Trsirtsis because he is amazing but as far as high school career goes at this point it  seems as though he could be #3 on the list.  Behind a two time state champ and a 3 time finalist. 

I can understand where you could put McMurray above Trsirtsis, but he beat Wright last if Im not mistaken. Also, while he might not have the high school accomplishments yet, which I believe are well on there way if he has 3 more years like last yr, he has national success that I would think out weighs  what he could accomplish in Indiana alone. I?m not downing the state of Indiana, I?m from here, my kids will live here, and ill die here. I?m just thinking all of that together is pretty impressive and make a valid case for being #1 overall.

Tough To believe that Ryan Stahl didn't make the cut. 

What about Anthony Quiroz?  Did he not make any heads turn after what HE DID at the State Finals?  This kid is on fire and can only GROW as a wrestler from here!

Christian Lentz is a kid that probably didn't make the list because he is a 215/HWT guy.  But he is still a very skilled wrestler and pound for pound can MOVE very well.

And one more just for the list...DUSTY KIEF?  Again this kid had a great showing last year at the state finals, and it wasn't LUCK.  He defeated a lot of good guys and should get some credit.

HECK NO...think about who the kid beat too.  152lbs. 

HE beat Quinn Kurtz...who is extremly tough...by a score of 9-2.  DOMINATION

HE beat Stein who was tough....by inj. default.

HE beat Estrada, who has a great wrestling background and is very good...11-5.

And then got defeated in a very very tough and CLOSE match 11-5.

This kid has to get a lot of credit though being a FRESHMAN at 152.  FINISHING 2nd at state and doing the THINGS he did to get there.

Well to add one you have to remove one, so which one would you remove if you wanted Kief or Quiroz in the list?

1. Jason Tsirtsis- Crown Point

2. Sean McMurray- Portage

3. Brandon Wright- Warren Central

4. Frankie Porras- Hobart

5. Michael Duckworth- Union County

6. Eric Roach- Crown Point

7. Anthony Hawkins- Crown Point

8. Cody Phillips- Union County

9. Sammy Bennett- Anderson Highland

10. Brenden Campbell- New Castle

HECK NO...think about who the kid beat too.  152lbs. 

HE beat Quinn Kurtz...who is extremly tough...by a score of 9-2.  DOMINATION

HE beat Stein who was tough....by inj. default.

HE beat Estrada, who has a great wrestling background and is very good...11-5.

And then got defeated in a very very tough and CLOSE match 11-5.

This kid has to get a lot of credit though being a FRESHMAN at 152.  FINISHING 2nd at state and doing the THINGS he did to get there.

A 7-point win was domination and a 6 point loss was close? 

A 3 point win can be a domination while I have seen close 9 point matches.  It's all about the eye test.  That said I dont remember the finals match being close at all.

I mean no disrespect to Anthony but the pound for pound ranking do not take age into account.  What he did was impressive but I don't think he is one of the top 10 wrestlers in the state at this point.  He will be (probably #2) at some point but not this year.

Tough to justify Bennett and Campbell over Stahl.  He gave Mandufer all he could handle in the finals last year. 

Tough to justify Bennett and Campbell over Stahl.  He gave Mandufer all he could handle in the finals last year. 

Campbell has not be beat in high school yet!  It is hard not to to rank a guy who hasnt been beat and is at a low weight.  Remember this is pound for pound.  Less weight means you have to be less impressive and undefeated is pretty impressive.

A lighter wrestler doesn't have any advantage over a heavier wrestler in these rankings.  It is just a way to compare skill level and level of overall performance between weight classes. 

For Example -- Of course Lentz of Mishawaka would destroy Little T-shirts.... but Tsirtsis is the "best" wrestler in the state with respect to his competition. 

No disrespect to Campbell at all either... I have never seen him wrestle and I am sure he is fantastic.  He was unfortunate to have an injury that ended his season and Stahl was impressive all the way through. 

Well Campbell's season was cut short due to an appendectomy.  He did though come back during the summer and win the Cadet Freestyle Championship  took 4th at the Jr. tournament the next day losing to Eppert and Beck with what was a very close match to Beck going 3 periods, Win the Cadet Regionals and become an All American at Fargo and went 7-1 at Cadet duals only loss was to  Sorrenson from Iowa  1-0 0-1 -1-2who was second at 119 at Fargo.  But we will let the mat decide the rankings at the end of the year at Conseco.  His season also ended 42-0 with a win over Jared Mckinley of Perry at the Jr. State.

If weight doenst have anything to do with these rankings then why are 7 of the top ten under 140lbs.  I think weight has a lot to do with these rankings.  If it is just the best wrestler in the state I will take Duckworth against anyone.  This is not the case.  Pound for Pound Jason is better.

Weight has nothing to  do with it.  Wrestling is a sport where the skills lend themself better to smaller wrestlers which would explain your 7 out of 10 comment.  That doesn't mean a lighter wrestler can be "less impressive" than a heavier wrestler to be ranked.

McMurray should be at number one. No one in the state is on his level, and that includes Tsirtsis. Nothing against Tsirtsis either though. He is only a sophomore after all. By the time he is a senior he may even be better than Sean, but as for now Mcmurray is the best and should be ranked accordingly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.