Mass Emailing from Blake Ress Concerning House Bill 1733 UPDATE!!

Insanoflex

Excerpt taken from a wndu.com article:

Under the bill, the division of interscholastic athletics would be governed by a nine-member board of directors appointed by the state Superintendent of Public Instruction.

"This board would regulate, supervise and administer all interscholastic athletic programs, and establish standards for eligibility, competition and sportsmanship while providing protection against the exploitation of schools or students," Niezgodski said.

"In short, it would do everything the IHSAA does now, except with a level of oversight and accountability that is missing today."

If the bill, which now advances to the full House, becomes law, state control of high school athletics would take place on July 1.

How can the oversight and accountability improve when the nine member panel is appointed (i.e. not voted) on by the Superintendent of Public Instruction.  Now the schools have zero say in who runs the athletics.  Not only that, but what kind of authority will they have over private institutions.  We may end up with class wrestling after all.  Public class and private class.  I think Tennessee does something like that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils in this situation.  The IHSAA does a decent job, but could always do some things better.  However, I'm not sure who the DOE has in mind that has experience in this type of governing of athletics.  This is something that will definitely be a hot topic over the next couple months.

I think everyone is trying to figure out which is the lesser of two evils in this situation.  The IHSAA does a decent job, but could always do some things better.  However, I'm not sure who the DOE has in mind that has experience in this type of governing of athletics.  This is something that will definitely be a hot topic over the next couple months.

Exactly!!

the IHSAA made their bed, now they can sleep in it.  have you noticed that every case of eligibilty that gets denied by the IHSAA and goes to court is overturned. maybe the IHSAA should have done a better job of actually looking into these cases to make their determination instead. if a board is wrong that many times how can they being doing a decent job? with a new board maybe some of the wrestling proposals will actually get a fair hearing and may pass. it is clear that Blake Ress wants to continue his dictatorship. i hope the bill passes.

As mentioned before I'd much rather the state board of education worry about what they currently have on their plates.  From the looks of it that seem more than enough to keep them busy.  Until they can fix all the current education needs I sure as heck don't want them worrying about something that has very little to do with education.  I don't want this to issue to pass but I would like it to be felt as a wake up call to the IHSAA in its current form.

I posted on another thread about the IHSAA and the new bill that would abolish the IHSAA and put interscholastic athletics in the hands of the DOE.  Once again, two words,,,,BAD IDEA.  I have 34 years of experience in coaching wrestling, officiating wrestling, coaching football, AND dealing with the IHSAA on a number of items.  I don't always agree with them and I have had some spirited "debates".  However, they are one of the most well respected and well run state athletic organizations in our nation.  And to say that the commissioner has no oversight is simply not correct.  The IHSAA Board of Directors has 15 members that are elected by the principals in the state of Indiana.  These members are selected (and elected) just like our legislators.  They solicity opinions from principals and athletic directors in their geographic districts.  The commissioner does not make rulings without the support of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.  If a ruling is made by the commissioner and supported by the Board of Directors, the DOE has the ability to review the decision and overturn it when appropriate.

Our state politicians have much more important items to tackle.  They should keep their noses out of interscholastic athletics.  If we think that the IHSAA does not care about wrestling and does not do what is best for the sport, I guarantee you that the DOE will not make the moves that we want for the sport of wrestling.  I stated earlier that the DOE and many of our politicians (who are mostly concerned about basketball) don't know the difference between a "wrestleback" and a "spladle"!  The IHSAA is not perfect, but I promise you that a nine member panel appointed by the DOE, will not be close; and if you think that there will be no politics in the appointments of those nine members, you are kidding yourself.  

Just think about the state tourney this past weekend -- the parade of champions, the outstanding competition, the introductions, the excitement, and even the celebrations -- the IHSAA hired a phenomenal tournament director in Dave Fleming and they put on a great show for our sport.          

As mentioned before I'd much rather the state board of education worry about what they currently have on their plates.  From the looks of it that seem more than enough to keep them busy.  Until they can fix all the current education needs I sure as heck don't want them worrying about something that has very little to do with education.  I don't want this to issue to pass but I would like it to be felt as a wake up call to the IHSAA in its current form.

Would the IHSAA bother to change even if this did not pass???

Niezgodski represents South Bend, so I think the impetus for this proposal is the SB Washington Girls BBall case, not MHS wrestling.

I think the perceived inconsistancy in ruling for these two cases is part of the impetus.  If it were just one guy with an axe to grind I would assume the item would have been dropped.

After reading several of the comments about the IHSAA situation I am sadden by those who are in favor of the IHSAA being replaced by a state controlled body.  Yes, I realize you have your right to make that decision.  Let's not make it too quick.  The IHSAA is a governing body that has been in existence for almost 100 years.  One of the first of its kind in the United State.  Sure there have been some bumpy rides along the way in that tenure.  What do you think will happen if the state government gets hold of it and makes a change of leadership every four years based on politics?  Do you think the person in charge at the DOE will understand athletics or even care at all?  Yes, the IHSAA is the governing body that represents all sports, school, and coaches as equal as possible.    Will that be the case if the DOE takes over?  Yes, the IHSAA listens to the principals, athletic directors, and coaches and coaches associations throughout the state.  Sometimes not very well.  Will that be the case if DOE takes over?  Sure you can call your sport rep at the IHSAA on the day of a IHSAA tournament about an interpretation.  Will that be the case if DOE takes over?  Yes,I can see nothing but negative coming for all high school athletics if politics take over.  As mentioned earlier, the IHSAA has been recognized throughout the US for its outstanding athletic innovations, tournament set ups, governing rules, athletic calendars, etc.  I have been involved with Indiana high school athletics since 1958 either as an athlete, a ref, or a coach.  During that time I have watched the IHSAA grow from an all male organization to one that includes numerous sports for both male and female.  They have stood head and shoulders above other states for years.  Check out the others and see if they haven't modeled themselves after the IHSAA.  The IHSAA handles or deals with 100's of legal and non legal issues weekly.  They have made some real lousy decisions from time to time and great ones also.  As a coach I have had my share of conflicts with the IHSAA.  I written praised letters as well as letters of anger to several of the commissioners during that time period.  Was I always happy with their comments or answers?  NO!  That is the beauty of the IHSAA.  You are writing or communicating with people who understand sports.  They understand Indiana high school sports.  You are trying to get rule changes from people who have constant contact with others at the IHSAA headquarters who understand how athletics work.  This may not and possibly will not be the case with the DOE.  The the DOE is mainly concerned with education.  You can bet on that.  I think all coaches, not just wrestling coaches, should be thankful they have the best at this time with the IHSAA.   

You cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time.  Any decision that IHSAA or this new board makes will upset someone.  And as far as the video tape... dont  you think that the IHSAA did its own investigation and maybe hired someone to record those video tapes.  Of course the IHSAA couldnt accept video tapes from just anyone.... they would recieve 100 tapes a day on everything from ineligble players to bad calls on the court.

It's amazing how screwed up things can get when you have people who can't keep their kids lives in focus and seek to win at any cost.  Following people around with camera's is just plain CRACKED. 

If I don't care what Paris Hilton is doing at Starbucks - why would I care what an Indiana High School kid is doing at home?

I think you get the point.

Sometimes you just have to upset the apple cart. Exchanging one buearacracy for another. Change is scary. How Big is the Ihsaa Payroll and were do the $$ come from. Are they "education " TAX dollars. Most Athletic monies come from "Education Tax Dollars" There are no athletic tax dollars. The money is already funneling through the DOE. Gate money does not pay for Astro Turf and multi million dollar fieldhouses and football stadiums. Athletics exsist as a part of the educational system. "Not the other way around." The IHSAA must of forgot ! It can happen when you have been around for a 100 years. Bombs Away !!

Athletics exsist as a part of the educational system. "Not the other way around."

I agree, but having 24/7 ESPN can distort peoples' priorities.  I love wrestling, but ESPN has done a great job of turning me off to all other sports.

If you really want to screw something up, let the government run it.  I think something needs to be done about hte IHSAA, but giving it to elected officials with political axes to grind is the WRONG ANSWER. :o

I hereby nominate Karl Hungus

The IHSAA has not been wrestling's best friend and their involvement in many issues have been self serving.  With that being said, overall the organization seems to function rather well, albeit not perfect.  Would be better off without them?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Bureaucracies are constantly asking us to change and rarely listening to the people when asking for change.  There is a great danger in scrapping something that works to a certain degree, but change can be good.  Personally, I think just adding some oversight would be good a thing.  I am not convinced the DOE is up to that job.  As a fan of wrestling I see the arrogance of the IHSAA rather bothersome. 

Here is a link to the House Bill http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2009/HB/HB1733.1.html

"Sec. 7. After June 30, 2009, a school corporation may participate in an athletic event only if the athletic event is conducted, organized, sanctioned, or sponsored by the division under this chapter."

I was reading over this bill............AND I am in no way in favor for anything like this!  This would most likely mean, no out of state competition....not that many schools travel out of state, but there are schools that bring in other schools from out of state.

Will this bill, the interscholastic athletics board become a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations.....Or will we expect to have a new rule book for next year also.  If we have a new rule book, I would like to see the DOE come up with a set a rules for each sport!

Sec. 6. The interscholastic athletics board has the following powers and duties:

(1) To regulate, supervise, and administer all interscholastic athletic programs.

(2) To cooperate with all agencies concerned with the health and educational welfare of secondary school students.

(3) To establish standards for eligibility, competition, and sportsmanship while providing protection against the exploitation of schools or students.

(4) To determine qualifications for individual contestants, coaches, and officials.

(5) To enter into agreements with nonpublic schools concerning their participation in interscholastic athletic programs.

(6) To adopt, with the approval of the state board, rules governing interscholastic athletic programs.

(7) To appoint, with the approval of the state superintendent, a director of interscholastic athletics. The director serves at the will of the board. The compensation of the director shall be fixed by the budget agency with the approval of the state superintendent.

(8) With the consent of the state superintendent and the budget agency, to appoint and fix salaries for any assistants and other personnel needed to enable the director to accomplish the duties of the director's office.

(5) To enter into agreements with nonpublic schools concerning their participation in interscholastic athletic programs......how much of a kickback will this interscholastic athletics board get from all of the private schools.

(8) With the consent of the state superintendent and the budget agency, to appoint and fix salaries for any assistants and other personnel needed to enable the director to accomplish the duties of the director's office......To Accomplish the duties.....so they will stop at no cost to deal with a situation...I take it.

wow....

I have a question. Do any other states have DOE governance or oversight?? If so this could be an example of something that works or not. IHSAA should have to answer to a higher authority and that would be the DOE, I believe.----- Again were do the $$$$$$$$$  come from to run the IHSAA ?? I am looking for answers. My concerns go beyond wrestling. What guidelines does the IHSAA follow to avoid trampling all over peoples civil and constutional rights. That is the real issue. Too much power without governance is a bad thing. God Bless America !!!

The DOE putting together a board to oversee H.S. athletics is an unknown entity that scares most of us to say the least. However I don?t think this new board could rule entirely as an oligarchy. The elected officials who would put these people into their positions would like to stay in office and would be sensitive to any unjust or controversial decisions made by this board. Will public opinion help shape decisions and actions by this board? This would be a good question for someone to ask  a representative from their voting district. I have heard from older coaches how in the past the IHSAA would be indifferent to requests made by the coaching association. Perhaps we could contact Blake Ress and ask him, what is he willing to do in order to win over the support of the entire wrestling community during this political battle to keep the IHSAA alive? Is he willing to listen to his wrestling constituents who want to see wrestle backs put into place? Is he willing to consider repealing the outdated travel rule for teams who want to compete outside the state against the best teams in the country? It would be nice to hear what he would like to say to us, the wrestling community.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.